Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2020, 11:01 PM

Question Booking Driving Exams

Any one having luck booking driving exams. My second is ready to start driving on her own and I would like to book her in but looked all over Alberta on the government booking site and I can not for the life of me find an open spot to book her in to take the road test. Any tips on using the system would be great
Old 09-17-2020, 11:05 PM

Took us close to 2.5 months to get one and it was another month and a half away. From what we were told first thing Wednesday mornings is when they open the new slots. I’ve also heard if you continue to call and be a pain in the ass they get fed up and get you a spot. Not my style so we just kept trying till we got one.

Son turned 16 middle of June and will get to take his test Oct 15th.

Good luck in the search.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:06 PM

thank you for the tips and i hope he passes first round i would hate for him to have to re book
Old 09-18-2020, 07:48 AM

Try looking at smaller towns farther away from the big cities if you want faster service. My neighbors kid is about to take her test, she was excited its booked for June 2021 in the Edmonton area....

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 09-18-2020, 07:52 AM

i guess this is what happens when the govt gets their hands involved in this kind of stuff.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Try looking at smaller towns farther away from the big cities if you want faster service. My neighbors kid is about to take her test, she was excited its booked for June 2021 in the Edmonton area....
Yup...this spring there was a 2-3 month wait for my son to get an appointment in Edmonon. Had to drive to Gibbons (under an hour) but got an appointment two weeks later.
Old 09-18-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
i guess this is what happens when the govt gets their hands involved in this kind of stuff.

Well that may be true but it is a hell of a lot better than people paying the examiner $100 for a license and they can't drive. Was happening with class 1 and 2 as well as 5 and 6. The system was so corrupt the Government had no choice but to take testing back inhouse.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:08 AM

Call and write your MLA to complain; it worked for our twins that turned 16 this spring.

Our first kid showed up and the license issuer had screwed up and forgot to tell the instructor. The instructor was great and fit our daughter into his busy schedule of two other exams that he had booked that day. Two is not a typo; the instructor probably spent more time driving to Rocky that day than he did conducting exams, and is as frustrated with the system as the rest of us.

Gerry Burnie
Old 09-18-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Well that may be true but it is a hell of a lot better than people paying the examiner $100 for a license and they can't drive. Was happening with class 1 and 2 as well as 5 and 6. The system was so corrupt the Government had no choice but to take testing back inhouse.
Instead of punishing the rest of us, they should have put the crooked license issuers in jail or on a plane back to the motherland.

Gerry Burnie
Old 09-18-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Yup...this spring there was a 2-3 month wait for my son to get an appointment in Edmonon. Had to drive to Gibbons (under an hour) but got an appointment two weeks later.
We get lots of big city folks coming to town taxing our resources ( hospital, grocery, recreation) but we go to the city for services also. It's called a free country and nice to have a choice.
Old 09-18-2020, 01:41 PM

Just went through this in Calgary. Here's the trick. They typically post updated timeslots (cancelations and new ones) 12:00 AM Wednesday Morning. They do some other nights as well but that seems to be the most consistent.

So on Tuesday you stay up until midnight and log in the second the clock turns. If there are times posted, grab one quickly. If you wait 15 minutes to scroll through the 15 timeslots that might be there, by the time you pick one it will be gone. Kinda like buying concert tickets in the olden days when there was concerts! It's a pain and is exhausting as there were several weeks where we'd be staying up until 12:30 each night, checking every night and both trying to login and book it. So based on my experience, Tuesday evening you poured a whiskey, watched sports highlights and waited for login time.

The timeslots for around Calgary anyway, were typically morning slots a week to 10 days out. We had to do this 3 times as my lad had a bit of bad luck and brain farts the first two times, but got it now!

Hopefully you can get booked (note that is was the instructor after the first try who told us to try midnight)
Old 09-19-2020, 12:12 AM

Default Booking A drivers exam is a JOKE!

My youngest son had been trying to get a drivers test for about 2 months, finally booked one and he's set to go last Saturday.
We get there 30 minutes early and Instructor is 10 minutes late, great start!
Instructor goes over what he needs to do, tells us that he has to disinfect the vehicle, wipe down the car and let it sit for 10 minutes. 2 minutes later I'm waiting inside the registry and my son says the guy won't take him because there is to much tint on the windows. I was like "WHAT?" and the instructor says due to the aftermarket tint he didn't feel safe to take my son on the road test.
He says, "If they were in an accident emergency response couldn't break the window to remove him."
I was like "You're kidding me right?" the car was bought 3 years ago by my daughter and it was factory. He didn't give a **it, said Its his call.
So we lost the slot that we booked and the money payed for the slot.
Now we haven't been able to book another one and who knows how long its going to take.
Totally frustrated for my son.
That's my rant.. Night Owl
Old 09-21-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post
My youngest son had been trying to get a drivers test for about 2 months, finally booked one and he's set to go last Saturday.
We get there 30 minutes early and Instructor is 10 minutes late, great start!
Instructor goes over what he needs to do, tells us that he has to disinfect the vehicle, wipe down the car and let it sit for 10 minutes. 2 minutes later I'm waiting inside the registry and my son says the guy won't take him because there is to much tint on the windows. I was like "WHAT?" and the instructor says due to the aftermarket tint he didn't feel safe to take my son on the road test.
He says, "If they were in an accident emergency response couldn't break the window to remove him."
I was like "You're kidding me right?" the car was bought 3 years ago by my daughter and it was factory. He didn't give a **it, said Its his call.
So we lost the slot that we booked and the money payed for the slot.
Now we haven't been able to book another one and who knows how long its going to take.
Totally frustrated for my son.
That's my rant.. Night Owl
Ya, after the first test I asked the fellow about the vehicle inspections and what typically fails. Tinted windows was one of the answers.