Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-30-2011, 10:24 PM

Default elk in wmu 104

im thinking of trying some new country out for elk this fall.i was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of the amount of elk in the wmu,if its worth putting in for the antlered draw.also,are there any decent campgrounds to park a fifth wheel this summer if i was doing a scouting,talking to landowners trip. thanks.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:33 PM

What season were you considering? What type of priority do you have? How much time do you plan on hunting and what size bull do you want to kill with your tag? What type of hunt mostly interests you?

There is a lot that goes into what a 'good' area to draw an antlered elk tag could be. I've got some pretty decent knowledge of most of the prairie areas and would be glad to help you out a bit with 104 if I knew a bit more. To start, its not an 'easy' area to kill an elk, and a lot can depend on a ton of variables.

That being said, maybe I can provide some more insight for you....
Old 03-30-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
What season were you considering? What type of priority do you have? How much time do you plan on hunting and what size bull do you want to kill with your tag? What type of hunt mostly interests you?

There is a lot that goes into what a 'good' area to draw an antlered elk tag could be. I've got some pretty decent knowledge of most of the prairie areas and would be glad to help you out a bit with 104 if I knew a bit more. To start, its not an 'easy' area to kill an elk, and a lot can depend on a ton of variables.

So true about that zone.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:00 AM

The weather plays a huge roll in that zone, I've seen some decent Bulls pulled out of that zone on the last season a little bit of bad weather and some luck you could get a Bull!!!!
Old 04-01-2011, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post

i am a priority 3,i was thinking either the second or the last hunt.as far as time,im self employed so i could take a week or two no problem.id love to shoot a huge bull,but i would be more than happy with a decent bull too.as far as type of hunt,rifle.any insight would be apreciated.thanks.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:39 AM

Default Elk in WMU 104

I had thought my draw was for 108, not 104! and not familiar w/104; any pointers on where to find the elk in this early season? Any good help appreciated. Looking for a cow to fill the freezer.

Last edited by Jeff Hardy; 09-15-2020 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:51 AM

It's a zone where you will want the glass to do the walking. Pick those coulees apart from a good vantage point. Lots of grazing leases and ranches down there that allow foot access.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:56 AM

Good luck finding Elk down there this year as there is no water in the milk river and a lot of the dugouts are low as well!
Old 09-16-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Good luck finding Elk down there this year as there is no water in the milk river and a lot of the dugouts are low as well!
good call. I forgot the Milk was dry this year. Brutal!
Old 09-16-2020, 10:14 AM

Why is the Milk River dry?

I've seen the South Milk dry as the Americans take all the water before it enters into Canada, while the North fork is raging....

Are the Alberta farmers now sucking the river dry too?

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 09-16-2020, 10:25 AM

The Americans have the dam closed, they doing some work to the dam. I heard the town of Milk river is hauling water to supply the town.
Old 09-16-2020, 01:18 PM

A canal collapsed on the US side. Don't think anyone on the Alberta side is even allowed to draw water from it right now.