Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-30-2012, 01:44 PM

Default Trip to the Crow.

So I made it out to the crow this weekend, which I fish a lot! Two things frustrated me. The first was that this guy parked himself right beside me. Like our lines could have touched. So I piped up and said "Well that's a little close isn't it?" He said, "Ya it's crowded out here tonight." I replied and said, "Well it doesn't have to be! There's like 50 miles of river" he was like "well if you don't like it leave." So I did as I'm not interested in fishing shoulder to shoulder and he wasn't gonna leave. But then he started swearing at me as I was leaving. Just a real Jerk. I told him if he was there first and I came right beside him, he would be just as mad. I just don't know where people get off. Anyway, the second thing was this young girl came around the corner dangling a bull trout from her line. I asked her if she had anyone there helping her. She said no, and that she just didn't have any pliers to get the spinner out. So I helped her unhook the fish and said very politely that we had to let him go cause he was endangered. She was totally ok with that and just sooo happy she caught something. We managed to revive the fish and get him on his way but she said her dad fishes but he was back in camp. My beef is with him!!! This girl is supposed to be fishing with someone with a licence and for good reason. This girl was under sixteen and had nothing or no way to properly handle any fish. I wanted to go talk to the dad and tell him to get out there and help her so she wasn't dragging bull trout 100yards upstream to find someone to help herAnyway, Just ignorance like this is so frustrating!!! I asked the girl if I could stay fish across the river from her just in case she needed anymore help and that's what I did. I guess I would just like to see a higher level of respect than to come fish right beside someone, or send you (about 14 year old) daughter off to fish all alone. Not sure what else I could have done in either situation, and even went back to the first guy to apologize and hope I could get him to understand where I was coming from, but he was gone. Anyway, still a good night with a bunch of fish landed. Just venting and am curious to see what you guys think I should have done different if anything.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcclung View Post
So I made it out to the crow this weekend, which I fish a lot! Two things frustrated me. The first was that this guy parked himself right beside me. Like our lines could have touched. So I piped up and said "Well that's a little close isn't it?" He said, "Ya it's crowded out here tonight." I replied and said, "Well it doesn't have to be! There's like 50 miles of river" he was like "well if you don't like it leave." So I did as I'm not interested in fishing shoulder to shoulder and he wasn't gonna leave. But then he started swearing at me as I was leaving. Just a real Jerk. I told him if he was there first and I came right beside him, he would be just as mad. I just don't know where people get off. Anyway, the second thing was this young girl came around the corner dangling a bull trout from her line. I asked her if she had anyone there helping her. She said no, and that she just didn't have any pliers to get the spinner out. So I helped her unhook the fish and said very politely that we had to let him go cause he was endangered. She was totally ok with that and just sooo happy she caught something. We managed to revive the fish and get him on his way but she said her dad fishes but he was back in camp. My beef is with him!!! This girl is supposed to be fishing with someone with a licence and for good reason. This girl was under sixteen and had nothing or no way to properly handle any fish. I wanted to go talk to the dad and tell him to get out there and help her so she wasn't dragging bull trout 100yards upstream to find someone to help herAnyway, Just ignorance like this is so frustrating!!! I asked the girl if I could stay fish across the river from her just in case she needed anymore help and that's what I did. I guess I would just like to see a higher level of respect than to come fish right beside someone, or send you (about 14 year old) daughter off to fish all alone. Not sure what else I could have done in either situation, and even went back to the first guy to apologize and hope I could get him to understand where I was coming from, but he was gone. Anyway, still a good night with a bunch of fish landed. Just venting and am curious to see what you guys think I should have done different if anything.
Not much you could have done differently on either account.. I see similar things every season, numerous times. It really sucks to see people showing no respect for our fisheries or for other fisherman.

You did what you could, glad the bully swam away.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:52 PM

Tough situation regarding the guy who crowded you out. You did about all you could do and still save your fishing day. As for the young girl, sure her dad should have prepared her better. He probably didnt think she'd catch anything. That said, I want to point out that she didnt need anyone with a fishing license with her in order for her to fish. She's perfectly legal. She just needed to be a little more prepared.
Glad you caught a few nice fish.
kidd
Old 07-30-2012, 01:52 PM
Gone Hunting

I think you could have given the first guy a high five....right in the lips.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 07-30-2012, 02:31 PM

first guy is a loser... dont waste your breath.

14 year old girl fishing alone down by the river sounds scary to me as a father!

good thing your a good citizen and not a creep
Old 07-30-2012, 02:34 PM

Thanks for the correction Kidd! I was incorrect in assuming that she needed to have an adult with her who held a licence. Not sure where I got that from but ya after checking you are right, she was perfectly legal. Thanks for pointing that out. Either way, I think this should be the case. How can the law expect a person who is under 16 to know and follow all the regulations? That to me is so silly. Anyway, just a thought. thanks for the comments
Old 07-30-2012, 02:54 PM
Banned

Location: FTR Road in the summer (flyfishin), The bush in autum (huntin) the hills in winter (shreddin the pow

I am under 14 and can handle and release fish quickly and am prepared (pliers, forceps etc) but I do agree with you somewhat. A lot of people just don't know how to handle a fish properly.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
I think you could have given the first guy a high five....right in the lips.
Some people need alot more of these!!
Old 07-30-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
I am under 14 and can handle and release fish quickly and am prepared (pliers, forceps etc) but I do agree with you somewhat. A lot of people just don't know how to handle a fish properly.
Well I am very glad to hear that you have prepared yourself properly. There are a lot of people that could learn from you...including adults!!!!
Old 07-30-2012, 08:26 PM

I hate to be the devils advocate but I try to fish where there aren't as many or any other people. I personally would have told him where to go but I try to stay away from places like this for that exact reason. its to bad people don't understand stream side ediquite oh well someone someday will teach him
Old 07-30-2012, 08:30 PM

I have fished the Crow from when i was barely able to walk as a child. I now drive by it with fond memories of the river it was
Old 07-30-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
I have fished the Crow from when i was barely able to walk as a child. I now drive by it with fond memories of the river it was
X2.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:43 AM

x's 1000. Couldn't have been said better. I do understand your frustration though Clayton. Myself being the way I am though, I never woulda left. I won't give in to the ignorant people. That's how they get what they want. When people just pack up and leave they just get more power. It's happened to everyone that gets out enough though. Some guys you can fish along side and start talking to to and get great conversations going. Some are just jerks and moving on is the best thing to do. A few seasons back I was at anchor with another boat in a very small area just big enough for the two boats to fish without an issue. Some kids showed up an hour or so in and literally bumped my boat in order to drop anchor. They were sloshed to the gills and having a grand time. There were about 7 of them and a few dogs. They were casting over our lines and everything. We wouldn't leave. They let the dogs swim, we still did not go. Turned on the music, still did not go. My buddy was fuming mad. I just hung out and waited. Finally after about 45 mins these people pulled up and headed out. Did it suck? You bet, however I never let em horn in and push me out. Don't get me wrong, I have no issues or problems with those that come to an area already occupied and keep their distance or even ask if they can fish the hole with proper distance. I've met some great people this way and even fish with some of them now. Long story short, I live by Chub's advise now. With our areas getting more and more popular and crowded by people from other areas, it is getting hard to find quiet spots on the major lakes and rivers. I've just taken advantage of the situation and have explored the lesser know areas and generally have found fishing to be just as good if not better. We are pretty lucky in what we have though. Down in the states on some of the major rivers I have fished it is full combat fly fishing from dawn till dusk. Elbow to elbow. Guess they are used to it though. Good luck and tight lines!!! Look me up if ya want to get out sometime...
Old 07-31-2012, 01:16 PM
Banned

Location: FTR Road in the summer (flyfishin), The bush in autum (huntin) the hills in winter (shreddin the pow

OOPs I mean I AM 14......not under lol ment to say under 16
Old 07-31-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incept View Post

x's 1000. Couldn't have been said better. I do understand your frustration though Clayton. Myself being the way I am though, I never woulda left. I won't give in to the ignorant people. That's how they get what they want. When people just pack up and leave they just get more power. It's happened to everyone that gets out enough though. Some guys you can fish along side and start talking to to and get great conversations going. Some are just jerks and moving on is the best thing to do. A few seasons back I was at anchor with another boat in a very small area just big enough for the two boats to fish without an issue. Some kids showed up an hour or so in and literally bumped my boat in order to drop anchor. They were sloshed to the gills and having a grand time. There were about 7 of them and a few dogs. They were casting over our lines and everything. We wouldn't leave. They let the dogs swim, we still did not go. Turned on the music, still did not go. My buddy was fuming mad. I just hung out and waited. Finally after about 45 mins these people pulled up and headed out. Did it suck? You bet, however I never let em horn in and push me out. Don't get me wrong, I have no issues or problems with those that come to an area already occupied and keep their distance or even ask if they can fish the hole with proper distance. I've met some great people this way and even fish with some of them now. Long story short, I live by Chub's advise now. With our areas getting more and more popular and crowded by people from other areas, it is getting hard to find quiet spots on the major lakes and rivers. I've just taken advantage of the situation and have explored the lesser know areas and generally have found fishing to be just as good if not better. We are pretty lucky in what we have though. Down in the states on some of the major rivers I have fished it is full combat fly fishing from dawn till dusk. Elbow to elbow. Guess they are used to it though. Good luck and tight lines!!! Look me up if ya want to get out sometime...
I hear ya mike. I fished the madison a last year and it was crazy how busy it was. We are pretty lucky. I still had a good night but ya pretty frustrating. We need to go out together sometime though man. Let me know when you're around!