Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-01-2007, 05:11 PM

Default Alberta non-resident hunting

I'm probably stiring things up here but I've seen a couple of threads talking about non-residents coming to hunt in Alberta. Alberta seems to open the floddgates up to non-resident hunters. They can come hunt here for everything except goat and can apply for our draws. The problem I have is I can not do the same in there province. In Saskatchwan I can not hunt for Mule deer, Moose, or Elk. B.C. is off limits for sheep and grizzly. I can also forget about the Yukon and NWT unless I'm a resident for 2 years! I would like to see more opportunities for Albertans in other provinces or we become more restricted in the opportunities we offer here. I'm wondering what some of you folks think about this. Maybe I'm just venting because of the costs I need to spend to go to the Yukon and B.C. for sheep and caribou and the fact realestate costs here is insane. I've seen the monster mulies coming out of Saskatchewan and would love to enter there draw for the opportunty. How long do you even have to live in Alberta to be considered a resident hunter?
Old 06-01-2007, 05:17 PM

Agreed...it would be nice if each province shared the same or similar opportunities. I would definatly like to see even some very low odds Stones Sheep or Dalls sheep draws in other provinces.

Anyways...yep I agree that there should be other opportunities. I guess I'll just have to move to BC and get those opps and then move to SK after that, etc, etc...
Old 06-01-2007, 06:10 PM
sheephunter

You can actually hunt the Yukon with a resident accompanying you. As for sheep in Alberta, with only two tags available it really isn't much of an opportunity. BC has a lot of low-cost opportunities for Alberta residents and when you consider the fact that you can hunt Saskatchewan without a resident accompanying you, there are some advantages there too.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:13 PM

True there sheep.....lots of good points. It is nice to be able to bomb over to SK for a whitetail hunt. My parents just bought a cabin on Turtle Lake and I'm thinking it might be a great spot to get into some good bucks, so that will be nice to be able to go over there easy....

Took advantage of BC this year for turkeys...that was a blast.

Lots of good options, but I guess a guy always wants more...haha
Old 06-01-2007, 08:57 PM

Interesting thread!

I'm thinking about buying some property in Sask. I never thought about the non-resident thingy. If you own land there are you not considered a resident and able to purchase a resident hunting license? My primary residence will still be AB.

I'm headed over there the middle of June and I thinks me better find out all this info before I buy anything, anywhere.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:12 PM
sheephunter

It must be your primary residence.....you can only buy a resident licence in one province. Just owning land does not qualify you as a resisdent.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:46 PM
Gone Hunting

I knew a fellow once who bought his Sask. hunting licence so he could shoot geese on a damage permit in August. Then in the fall he moved to Alberta to go to school (NAIT) and bought an Alberta hunting licence.

It was OK though as he was orriginally from Newfoundland.

Robin in Rocky
Old 06-02-2007, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuc View Post
Interesting thread!

I'm thinking about buying some property in Sask. I never thought about the non-resident thingy. If you own land there are you not considered a resident and able to purchase a resident hunting license? My primary residence will still be AB.

I'm headed over there the middle of June and I thinks me better find out all this info before I buy anything, anywhere.
I was looking at that same angle earlier, to buy your hunting tags, for species other than Whitetail, you need to produce a Saskatchewan health care card for I.D.

Last edited by Unregistered user; 06-02-2007 at 07:19 AM.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:49 AM

Alberta has the least stringent residancy standards of any Province I know. All you have to do is proove you live here, a utility bill with an Alberta address is all you really need, no time frames nothing.
This is the big loop hole I'd like to see closed, make the new Albertain's wait 6 months, and make them show their Health Care card and DL would be great.
(I smell a letter)

There are no absolutes
Old 06-02-2007, 09:48 AM

http://www.se.gov.sk.ca/fishwild/hun...rs%20Guide.pdf

For $138.+ you can a a WT deer in Sask., for $163.+ Canadian guided moose tag. and if there is any mule deer tags left by Oct.1st that the res.of Sask don't buy them, then you as a Canadian can have a chance to get one. Anyhow you can get the info for yourself just click above.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
You can actually hunt the Yukon with a resident accompanying you.
This only applies to moose, caribou, black bear and wolves. For sheep, goat, and grizzly bear you still have to go through an outfitter or be a full time resident for one year. I started working up there in March (residence still in Alberta), first thing I did when I got the job was check into the hunting opportunities.LOL.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
In Saskatchwan I can not hunt for Mule deer, Moose, or Elk.
Waaaaaa Waaaaaa Waaaaa!

On the other hand, how many Sask residents do you think go to Alberta to hunt mule deer, moose, or elk. How many Sask residents go to Alberta to hunt geese and whitetailed deer. No one I know does.

Now tell me how many Alberta residents come to Saskatchewan each year to hunt geese and whitetailed deer?

I see no reason for complaining, appreciate what you've got.

This whole thing was discussed a few months back in an almost identical thread.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:22 PM

Beerslayer,
Theres actually several non-residents that come elk, moose, and deer hunting. I have no issue with it, and am actually planning on having a friend from BC come over for a mule deer hunt in the next year or two.

It happens though.....and no one is 'complaining'.....we are merely having a discussion.....
Old 06-03-2007, 11:30 AM

OOPS, I guess I got the
Quote:
Maybe I'm just venting
confused with "complaining".

Anyways, I'll bet there's 25 Alberta hunters coming to Sask to hunt for every Sask hunter going to Alberta. That's fine though, the rural hotels, restaurants, and gas stations here really appreciate the extra revenue that non resident hunters bring in to the province.

Last edited by BeerSlayer1; 06-03-2007 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:41 AM

Default Non-resident rules

The reason Sask hunters may not come here as much is they just moved here to work and become an instant resident hunter. The Albertans going to Saskatchewan are probably the transplants going home. I have never been to Sask. because all they offer is Whitetails and we already have the worlds best whitetail hunting here so why go anywhere else? It would be nice to see the provinces get together on one page and try to streamline things a bit, one year residency requirement, same species offered, etc.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerSlayer1 View Post

Anyways, I'll bet there's 25 Alberta hunters coming to Sask to hunt for every Sask hunter going to Alberta..
I kinda of figgured the reason Sask is so open with non resident hunting was that they have so many people leaving the province to live some place else.
That way little Johnny could still come home and hunt the family farm.

I havent had the pleasure of hunting Sask yet. But perhaps someday.

Jamie
Old 06-04-2007, 11:57 AM

Interesting discussion. Does anybody know how many canadian resident WT tags are sold in Alberta every year? I did some snooping and found that in 2004 there were 2530 canadian resident WT tags sold in Sask, that's about 6.7% of the total either sex tags sold. It would be interesting to see if more non resident canadians choose Sask over Alberta (or vice versa).

As somebody who has hunted both provinces as a resident and a non resident they each have their advantages and drawbacks. Personally, I've always found the biggest difference to be access to land.

Sure the mulie and elk hunting is great in Sask but keep in mind that outfitters don't have access to those species either (no, I am not taking a shot at outfitters. I have guided in the past and will guide again in the future). I would think that there are far more non resident alien tags issued in Alberta for those species than Canadian resident tags. If Alberta was to become more restrictive on it's canadian-resident opportunities it would likely have to follow suit by restricting non-resident alien tags as well. We all know how well that would sit with APOS (some might say TS but that is a different discussion). On the other side of the fence, if Sask were to expand their canadian resident opportunities they'd likely get a lot of pressure from outfitters to let them in as well (which would mean more competition for access and trophy critters).

In a rounabout way I'm trying to make the point that the grass is always be greener somewhere else. When I lived in Sask, I hated that i needed a babysitter (hunter host) to hunt whitetails while at school in Alberta. Now that I live in Alberta, I miss hunting mulies in the river hills back home.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:05 PM

Quote:
The reason Sask hunters may not come here as much is they just moved here to work and become an instant resident hunter.
Huh???? All the hunters from Sask have moved to Alberta so there's no hunters left here to go hunting in Alberta?
Old 06-04-2007, 08:31 PM
Gamehunter

Smile Hunting

".

Last edited by Gamehunter; 07-22-2007 at 07:57 PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:29 PM

Quote:
From what i have been reading rumor has it to tbe true. Land must be Cheaper now in sask time to buy .
House prices in the city where I live are up 41% over last year. Where are you getting your information from? It's either out of date or innaccurate.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:09 PM

Man oh man...some people just dont get sarcasm......
Old 06-04-2007, 10:17 PM

Default Going home

Yes the cheap,cheap prices of land and home's has started o turn around,saw in the calgary sun that one moving company move 71 families last month back to or to sask,and ahd already 31 for june booked.I go for 2 week's every year bird hunting and have access to land where ever i go,where here in my own province is almost impossible to gain access.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:05 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by delburnedave View Post
This only applies to moose, caribou, black bear and wolves. For sheep, goat, and grizzly bear you still have to go through an outfitter or be a full time resident for one year. I started working up there in March (residence still in Alberta), first thing I did when I got the job was check into the hunting opportunities.LOL.
Actually there are some grizzly opportunities as well...just not in all zones.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:43 AM

Good to know. I guess I didn't read the regs as carefully as I thought. After I got past the "no sheep hunting for non residents without a licensed outfitter" part I kind of lost interest.