Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-07-2016, 03:06 PM

Default Can't stop thinking about fishing! New gear?

I literally cannot stop thinking about fishing with the impending open water season fast upon us. I've been this way for a couple of weeks at least and I think my friends and girlfriend are getting sick of me cuz it's all I seem to want to talk about.

Anyway, with that said, what are some of your "must haves" for the upcoming season? Whether it be camping gear, fishing accessories, things you just wanna try or places you just wanna go.

For me, a couple of "must haves" are a hook file (sharpener) to keep the hooks tacky and sharp. as well as these Trac Grabber blocks for getting out of mud or crud when you get into a jam.

Man i'm a nerd about fishing...
Old 04-07-2016, 03:19 PM

Me too. All this winter months I spent waiting to cast my lures again. There was plenty of time to think about techniques, read reviews about new gear, compare prices on websites, and watch youtube videos about everything that has to do with fishing. Happy to learn I am not alone
Old 04-07-2016, 03:29 PM

I bought some new open water gear during the Fishin' Hole's big Boxing Day sale, and I've had it teasing me for all these months. Can't wait for open water season to officially open. Been talking about making the trek from Olds on the 15th to do up Opening Day properly, but not quite sure where we'll go to test out our new gear just yet. Either way.....can't WAIT to get out there. Hardwater is always a good time, but I do love the warmth come summer!
Old 04-07-2016, 04:05 PM

I went to the river the first day ice was out and tried my 2 new rods and my new line. I am thinking to try one of the trout-stocked ponds. They are open all year. I hope the ice there is all gone though
Old 04-07-2016, 04:31 PM

At this point no towards the new gear, I've got all I need. I just gotta use it! Then when one breaks, I'll get new gear > ahh the materialism.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:01 PM

I put an electric down rigger on to conquer minnewanka.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:59 PM

I bought my boat in June of last year, so when I got it in the water I used what I had but bought a G Loomis Baitcaster and a Shimano Calcutta 700B . I also bought a Lowrance HDS10, then a new halibut rod, then another Calcutta 700B, then a few more rods and reels.

When I got it in the garage for the winter, I went to town on it.
I bought a Islander Mr3 and a new G Loomis GL2, then a Talica II 16 and another halibut rod, then a Mr2 and a Sage mooching rod, and a third mooching rod. I also bought a new macerator pump, a Powrtran steering unit for the trolling motor, a set of controls for the trolling motor so I didn't have to lean over the stern to put it in and out of gear or change throttle. Then I bought an Avet 2 speed reel and a couple more salmon rods. A couple more bilge pumps, 3 new fuse boxes to straighten things out and added Mercury Nmea2000 backbone so I have all digital guages on the fishfinders.
Then I bought a 3G radar, a Ri10 box, a radar mount, HDS7, a sidescan module, a very bright LED boat plug (cant wait to try that one lol) . I got a 50" ridgid LED for the hard top, a couple more rod holders, and a bunch of tackle. I just finished changing all the bearings and adding a saltwater flushing system for the axles.

Ya, my teeth are itching to go fishing!!!
Old 04-07-2016, 07:10 PM

With the good short winter and a nice warm spring....I too wish for the open water- Got the "Tracker Ten" touched up its scratches and re did the wood...replaced the transducer and its faulty cable. Tiger trout need be caught. Hopefully soon.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:50 AM

Not much needed for this year. Can't wait to just spend time in the boat. Planning a few trips with my youngest son and friends. PS don't forget if u need a reel respooled, TFH has its bulk line sale this month.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:56 AM

I have a Redington Behmothe reel in the mail that I cannot wait to try out the last week of April when school is done.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I bought my boat in June of last year, so when I got it in the water I used what I had but bought a G Loomis Baitcaster and a Shimano Calcutta 700B . I also bought a Lowrance HDS10, then a new halibut rod, then another Calcutta 700B, then a few more rods and reels.

I bought a Islander Mr3 and a new G Loomis GL2, then a Talica II 16 and another halibut rod, then a Mr2 and a Sage mooching rod, and a third mooching rod. I also bought a new macerator pump, a Powrtran steering unit for the trolling motor, a set of controls for the trolling motor so I didn't have to lean over the stern to put it in and out of gear or change throttle. Then I bought an Avet 2 speed reel and a couple more salmon rods. A couple more bilge pumps, 3 new fuse boxes to straighten things out and added Mercury Nmea2000 backbone so I have all digital guages on the fishfinders.
Then I bought a 3G radar, a Ri10 box, a radar mount, HDS7, a sidescan module, a very bright LED boat plug (cant wait to try that one lol) . I got a 50" ridgid LED for the hard top, a couple more rod holders, and a bunch of tackle. I just finished changing all the bearings and adding a saltwater flushing system for the axles.

Haha nice, anytime you wanna go fishing in that sucker, u let ol' Lowrance Fishburn know lol
Old 04-08-2016, 10:14 PM

End of May, early june, mid july, early august......

I wanted to get 4 solid weeks in, but all but 1 group has bailed.

Divorce, herniated disk, wage cutback, & idiot I should have never believed in the first place.

2 of them I really and truly feel sorry for.

This is what I saw every time I went in the garage. I just have to wait for good weather so I can kick it out and get the hard top back on.

I would go tomorrow if the boat was ready.

Soon it will look like this again.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:57 PM

That really is a gorgeous boat Ken! Well done on the upgrades!

Quote:
...what are some of your "must haves" for the upcoming season?
Current fishing licenses and a thorough review of the current regulations for the waters I intend to fish - this is my primary focus for any upcoming season as for what I "must have".

Gear wise - My essentials are: Smith Chromapop sunglasses, Cabela's guidewear rain gear, Muck boots, deerskin gloves, assorted cameras, ball cap, and Buff.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:56 AM

Wow that is not boat, it's a ship! That is a serious rig, very nice. Do u find you have issues with shallow water launches a lot of the time? That girl can handle herself on some big water though I am sure.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:21 AM

It launches and retrieves very well, the hull design is great. I have been in some very big waves, enough so that I was very happy to have bought it over other designs I have looked into.
I have only launched it in Prince Rupert and a small river in Quebec, no issues at all.
The most fun I had was backing into the Skeena at Terrace, people came running to see the disaster or laugh at the idiot going to take the ocean boat down river. I didn't tell them all I was doing was flushing everything out in the clean water lol.
I may try it in Cold Lake this summer, my kids want to try for trout.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:37 AM
Banned

Quote:

If I had your money I'd burn mine!

Free
Old 04-10-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
It launches and retrieves very well, the hull design is great. I have been in some very big waves, enough so that I was very happy to have bought it over other designs I have looked into.
I have only launched it in Prince Rupert and a small river in Quebec, no issues at all.
The most fun I had was backing into the Skeena at Terrace, people came running to see the disaster or laugh at the idiot going to take the ocean boat down river. I didn't tell them all I was doing was flushing everything out in the clean water lol.
I may try it in Cold Lake this summer, my kids want to try for trout.

Perfect size boat for cold lake ,two thumps up for canon down riggers .
If you don't know the lake i'll be happy to join you .For your kids you need to check out the sand beach ,boat access only. We call it mini Hawaii .

Last edited by -JR-; 04-10-2016 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Perfect size boat for cold lake ,two thumps up for canon down riggers .
If you don't know the lake i'll be happy to join you .For your kids you need to check out the sand beach ,boat access only. We call it mini Hawaii .
Thanks for the offer.

I used every boat I have ever owned on Cold Lake, they are all great until the wind kicks up and the waves start coming over the breakwater. In the early 90's we used to rent out Seadoo's every summer.

North east end of French bay is nice for sure, that sand is very nice.

I won't take this boat up the river for walleye though, too skinny too fast for it.

It's the perfect size for the Pacific Ocean, will be there all summer.