Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-06-2016, 06:14 PM

Default Lund SSV18

Hey,

Does anyone have any experience with this lund? Would it be a good boat for the Shuswap spring/fall fishing and as a hunting boat? I have seen the 16 but they seem a bit small for 3-4 adults......

Thanks
Old 04-06-2016, 06:25 PM

I have the smaller 16' SSV. It's comfortable for 2-3 adults, so the 18' should work ok for 3-4 adults. I would take a hard look at a 18' Alaskan if I were you. I think it'll be more what you're looking for in a boat.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ZL1 View Post
I have the smaller 16' SSV. It's comfortable for 2-3 adults, so the 18' should work ok for 3-4 adults. I would take a hard look at a 18' Alaskan if I were you. I think it'll be more what you're looking for in a boat.
That's actually a really good suggestion.

Sides a bit higher on the water and floor a bit wider also. Weight cap is night and day compared between the 2.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 04-06-2016, 08:43 PM

thanks for the replies. i'll have a look at that model.....
Old 04-07-2016, 01:00 PM

For sure the Alaskan is just a bit better in many regards.

Flat Floor, a little longer, a little wider, a little deeper, heavier, thicker gunwales, can run more HP but it's also over three times as much money.

If you have the budget for it ....... why not go "all the way" and look a pro guide tiller.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post

Flat Floor, a little longer, a little wider, a little deeper, heavier, thicker gunwales, can run more HP but it's also over three times as much money.

If you have the budget for it ....... why not go "all the way" and look a pro guide tiller.

Alaskans are way cheaper than a pro guide.

Im on the hunt for a bigger tiller and compared the 2 and the proguide pricing was nuts.

Tillers used to be cheaper than wheel boats by quite a bit but all these new tillers are just as much as a wheel boat.

I am really looking hard at the lund alaskan or the alumacraft yukon both in 18 foot models with maxed hp.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:

The Alaskan is not even close to being 3 times as much as the SSV. Last I checked it was roughly 50-60% more. That included the Command Thrust engine with big tiller handle and the fancy travel cover. Not to mention if the OP were ever to sell their Alaskan, it would be gone in a heartbeat.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ZL1 View Post
The Alaskan is not even close to being 3 times as much as the SSV. Last I checked it was roughly 50-60% more. That included the Command Thrust engine with big tiller handle and the fancy travel cover. Not to mention if the OP were ever to sell their Alaskan, it would be gone in a heartbeat.
Ok - I was being a bit sarcastic ..... but when you consider a 450lb boat (18' SSV) versus a 1100lb (Alaskan) you have to consider the engine you want to achieve "similar and reasonable" performance.

A 450lb 18' tinner is probably just fine with a 30HP - maybe maxed at 50 HP

The SSV is minimum 50 HP and you probably want to run 90 HP.

At that point you may want a big tiller handle, trim, tilt and hydraulic steering too.

That's a pretty big difference in cost was my point I guess. I bet it's close to double - but yeah - it is, admittedly, a bit apples to oranges because the Alaskan is like a cadillac compared to the chevy sprint (SSV).

The Pro Guide is a Bentley.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:22 PM

I personally would prefer the 18 foot alaskan over the 18 foot pro guide.

There is a reason that its very hard to find a reasonably priced alaskan. They are wanted by many anglers (myself included).
Old 04-08-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Ok - I was being a bit sarcastic ..... but when you consider a 450lb boat (18' SSV) versus a 1100lb (Alaskan) you have to consider the engine you want to achieve "similar and reasonable" performance.

A 450lb 18' tinner, the SSV, is probably just fine with a 30HP - maybe maxed at 50 HP

The ALASKAN is minimum 50 HP and you probably want to run 90 HP.

At that point you may want a big tiller handle, trim, tilt and hydraulic steering too.

That's a pretty big difference in cost was my point I guess. I bet it's close to double - but yeah - it is, admittedly, a bit apples to oranges because the Alaskan is like a cadillac compared to the chevy sprint (SSV).

The Pro Guide is a Bentley.
Fixed a mistake, meant to say "Alaskan" in place of "SSV"
Old 04-08-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
I personally would prefer the 18 foot alaskan over the 18 foot pro guide.

There is a reason that its very hard to find a reasonably priced alaskan. They are wanted by many anglers (myself included).
I would tend to agree. The Alaskan is the middle of the road option, but it doesn't leave you too "short" of the major features you want in a good tiller.

A flat floor, comfortable seating, some decent tackle / dry storage, live well, place to mount electronics, built in rod storage, integrated fuel tank, etc... are really key features if you fish allot and spend some time on the water.

Of course, if I had money to burn, the Pro Guide, would be the way to go - but you are paying significantly more, for a few "nice to haves" instead of "must haves" in my opinion.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:45 AM

I had an older 18' Lund Alaskan with a 50 hp merc and steering on it. Was a great boat...so stable. Unfortunately someone liked it even better and stole it out of my driveway when I lived in Fort St. John. Had my 9.9 Johnson kicker on it to.

Both are great boats, but it will depend on what you are looking for. I know 50hp wasn't enough on mine, so 75 or 90 would be good but with the motor being the big expense that will crank the price up. You won't be disappointed with the Alaskan though.

Good luck with your choices!
Old 04-11-2016, 10:36 PM

What about the 1750 Outfitter? Not a full flat floor, but a casting deck up front, max 60 horse, 19 gallon internal tank and 5 person capacity?