Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-08-2016, 12:36 PM

Default Missouri river Montana

So my buddies and I go down to fish the Missouri river near Craig, Montana every May long weekend. Fishing has always been a distant 2'nd to hunting for me. I bring both my fly rod and spin-caster down. I've landed fish on the fly rod before but I find I'm not skilled enough to do it consistently. I've got much more experience on the spin-caster fishing mountain lakes and the Bow for trout.

There's Rainbow's and Browns' in the Missouri in that area. Does anyone have any recommendations for lures at that time of the year? It's run off, so it can be a little murky where the streams come into the Missouri, but it's usually not too bad.

I've had some success with the good ole' 5-of-diamonds spoon in the past, but what else should I be trying?
Old 04-08-2016, 12:41 PM

For trout I've a never had anything work better than a mepps aglia with the silver spinner. Size 1-3 depending on size of fish. Size 2 is a good option for the majority
Old 04-08-2016, 12:52 PM

floating rapala crankbaits are deadly on trout. you'll catch bigger fish on average with cranks. big fish cant pass up an easy meal like a struggling baitfish (your crankbait). rainbow and shiner patterns are my go to's when spincasting in streams for trout

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2016, 03:23 PM

i've always had my best luck with Panther Martin spinners, brass blade with black body.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:46 PM

All of the above are excellent choices and must haves. I would add in some conditions for more subtlety a small pink worm (3" to 5") whacky rigged and drift floated can be a deadly combo. You can use it with a casting bubble, slip bobber, weighted without a float, rigged weightless, rigged neutral buoyant or fished on a 3 way rig, all depending on the current and depth you're fishing. They can see it even in murky water and has a natural look with good action in current. Good luck!
Old 04-09-2016, 06:17 PM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, they are appreciated! Looks like I'll be headed to the store before I head down!
Old 04-11-2016, 09:22 AM

So with my spoon setup, I don't usually have a problem casting out a good ways. With a rapala, a mepps, or a panther martin, what kind of weight set-up do you usually use to get a decent casting distance. Just clamp-on buckshot weights 5 feet back on the lure?
Old 04-11-2016, 03:34 PM

floating rapallas are a definate must for there lived in montana for 5 years
Old 04-11-2016, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy1979 View Post
i've always had my best luck with Panther Martin spinners, brass blade with black body.
That is a good one. I hunt down in the Breaks and go in off Hwy 181 and when I'm not hunting I'm fishing and always have a catfish line at night. Caught a 7 lber a few years ago. Great country. Enjoy.

Bobby
Old 04-11-2016, 10:27 PM

Well I'd say a best shot is an F7 or F5 Rapala in a brown trout or rainbow pattern. If its a little later in the season when the salmon flies are hatching the brook trout pattern works well too. Granted this is all based off of 5 years of fishing the Yellowstone, but I find they have worked well in most Montana trout streams. You could use a brass #2 Mepps Agila, or a 1/4 oz gold or silver Thompson Colorado or Fighting Fish.

You might catch a walleye there and there's no limit on them between Holter Dam to Cascade bridge. Hope this helps, good luck!
Old 04-12-2016, 05:44 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
floating rapallas are a definate must for there lived in montana for 5 years
There is the answer, I too have had succes in other bodies of water with these beauties but keep the tackle box stocked with variety as you never know what might crank up the bite a notch!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...