Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-11-2016, 08:23 PM
Banned

Default Some Early Open Water

Was such a nice afternoon I popped down to the river for some spring fishing. Iv'e always wanted to stand on that shelf but never had the chance. Water level on the NSR is low and with little runoff right now, so I went for it. Caught 3 pike and a sucker, but this was the nicest pike. Around 28" and very chunky and healty. Nice to do some open water fishing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg herm april11a 2016.jpg (17.5 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg herm april 11 2016.jpg (18.7 KB, 248 views)
Old 04-11-2016, 08:48 PM

Not a stab but does this apply to those things?

. Fishing is prohibited by any method within 23 metres downstream of the lower entrance of any fishway, canal, obstacle or leap. Weirs and dams are considered obstacles.

Just curious for my own fishing.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjuanworm View Post
Not a stab but does this apply to those things?

. Fishing is prohibited by any method within 23 metres downstream of the lower entrance of any fishway, canal, obstacle or leap. Weirs and dams are considered obstacles.

Just curious for my own fishing.
That is a very good question. This is an outfall by hermitage and the subject has never come up in the past. I have seen hundreds (not an exageration) of people fishing on or very near to these outfalls, and never once has any one broght this up. Fish and Wildlife come down there on a regular basis and they have never mentioned anything.
Have to say that I am now wondering about this myself. I am 99.75% sure the outfalls are not in the same category as the list in the regs.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:27 AM

I sometimes fish by these in the Bow. So just curious.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:28 AM

An outfall is not a fishway, canal, obstacle or leap. Not unless there are fish living in the storm water system lol.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:17 AM

I asked a fish cop that a few years ago when i was down there. He said exactly what RavYak said above.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:59 AM

The one thing I have wondered about regarding these outflows is the no anchoring signs by some of them(Hermitage included). Is that actually a law or just a recommendation? I tried finding a law stating you can't anchor at outfalls but was unable to find anything, guessing it is more of a safety recommendation but not sure.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
The one thing I have wondered about regarding these outflows is the no anchoring signs by some of them(Hermitage included). Is that actually a law or just a recommendation? I tried finding a law stating you can't anchor at outfalls but was unable to find anything, guessing it is more of a safety recommendation but not sure.
I am pretty sure those "no anchor" signs are there because of the electrical generator plant that is on the opposite bank. I fish a number of outfalls on the NSR, and have not seen those signs anywhere else.
As to why they are there even if it is because of the plant is a mystery to me also.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:16 AM
Banned

You know, I thought about it some more, and another reason those "no anchor" signs might be there is because some heavy duty powerlines also cross the river in that spot. That seems to make the most sence to me. Maybe authorities are concerned if a powerline were to come down.