Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-18-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Like a lot of older guys I grew up fishing with a closed reel. Then when I started fishing BC rivers for Salmon and Steelhead I was told a good baitcaster is the way to go. I went to a couple of Ambassedor baitcasters, but even with experiance I found the cast distance lacking and still got the odd rats nest. Also had some problems with baitcaster reels while fishing in very cold temps. Once I found out you could switch the open face reel handle for a right hand retrieve I started using them and would never go back. Good casting distance, never a snarl, good drag system and easy to switch spools.
Lately some die hard fishermen I have talked with have told me about the great baitcasters there using, or planning to buy.
Is there any aspect in a baitcasters performance or fishing application where it would be preferable to a spinning reel?
I don't think so. They're nuth'n but trouble. I bought into the bait-caster hype a few years ago. It was horrible. Eventually i threw the nasty thing into the river, and never went back. It' didn't mater how experienced i got with it, it would always rats nest at the worst possible time. I bought up a bunch of antique closed face spinners, and i've never gone back to anything els. Closed faced spinners are def the way to go for light lake or river fishing. The only problem, tho, is that they are made real cheap nowadays. That's why i use ones from the 70's and the 80's.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:40 PM
Banned

You should try a LEWS reel in bait caster. Really happy with mine. You have to learn the technique and after that you will never go back.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:32 AM
Banned

Bait casters are a complete waste of money and a hoax their performance is better than a good spin real. Remember back in the 80's when everyone thought it was better to eat jelly instead of jam? Well, bait casters are the same. Complete hoax and marketing by the companies that made them. Stick to your spin reel. It will cast further, never get snarled up, and give you way more sensitivity and feel for the pole and line than hanging onto a bait caster with 3 fingers versus a full hand grip on spin reel setup.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:43 AM

Default Now we are just being plain silly ...

Thank goodness Fact is not based on one mans ability or lack there of .

Proper application . Where strength is concerned , spinning reels are poor

Tools . Most people use a hammer for everything . It's the tool of choice

For the worlds Rubes.

In the famous poem The Desiderata, a line says even the dull & ignorant

Have a story to tell ......so carry on ,on this subject .

Some where I posted, all the the Worlds casting distance records

Are held by Baitcasters ....

Here's a tip find out what the top 3 Bass Anglers on the circuit are
Using and buy one of those because there is a lot of cheap crap
Out there .
The laws of physics are why Baitcasters make better casters .

Last edited by Winch101; 09-19-2015 at 07:05 AM.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:05 AM
Banned

The problem with spinning reels is they wind line at a ninety degree angle to the line travel. Plus the guides on the spinning reel are so huge they do not take a rod sock well or fit into the tubes of the lockers in the tournament boats very well.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaClipper403 View Post
Bait casters are a complete waste of money and a hoax their performance is better than a good spin real. Remember back in the 80's when everyone thought it was better to eat jelly instead of jam? Well, bait casters are the same. Complete hoax and marketing by the companies that made them. Stick to your spin reel. It will cast further, never get snarled up, and give you way more sensitivity and feel for the pole and line than hanging onto a bait caster with 3 fingers versus a full hand grip on spin reel setup.
I'm sure if you ever took the time to really learn to use a fishing reel you would change your mind a lot of times the reason people dislike something is because they can't use it or understand it...line and design of the rod has more to do with the sensitivity then the reel ever will.

Mack
Old 09-19-2015, 09:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
I'm sure if you ever took the time to really learn to use a fishing reel you would change your mind

Mack
I used nothing but a bait casting reels for a few years bass fishing in tournaments.
Will never go back. Will never change my mind.
It's all hype and marketing.
No advantage to bait casters.
Only disadvantages in that the grip to the rod is different.
3 fingers instead of a full grip.
You can't get the same feel and sensitivity using a bait caster as you can in a spinning set-up.
Come into the light. It's safe in the light.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:17 PM

Quote:
I used nothing but a bait casting reels for a few years bass fishing in tournaments.
You can't get the same feel and sensitivity using a bait caster as you can in a spinning set-up.
Like I said learn to use it RIGHT...it will make all the difference

Mack
Old 09-20-2015, 05:43 AM

I think baitcasting reels are great, it'd be cool if they made a high-quality mini baitcaster for panfish. But I've been out of the gear game for a while so they may have one now... But not the BPS crappie baitcaster..
Old 09-20-2015, 06:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Old 09-20-2015, 07:12 AM
Banned

For smaller fish and more dainty applications there are what is called finesse reels such as the Shimano Core 50. A bit lighter. I believe the guys suffering the bait casting confidence are trying with unfair expectations perhaps as mentioned using reels that are out of date with the latest technology or playing with budget minded set ups that are not engineered to the standard needed. As was smartly mentioned just google what the tournament pros are using and give it a whirl. I have three LEWS reels and very pleased with the quality given the reasonable price. Order from Tackle Warehouse.
Old 09-20-2015, 02:33 PM

While it never hurts to have a mid to high end reel. Low end reels cast well too.
Just have to know how to cast/use them.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 09-20-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Some people can catch fish some cant.

And some can cast and some cant. I know what category you belong in.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:27 PM
Gone Hunting

What does it matter, if it works for me why would you care what I use?

I don't like bait casters and never will. Spin cast works for me, I catch all the fish I want so I use what I like.

I don't need a rifle or a fishing reel to prove that I have worth. If others need that, it's nothing to me.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-20-2015, 10:15 PM

I grew up fly fishing only and had never used a bait caster or spinning rod until last year (moved to Alberta from BC) i first bought a spinner and didn't like the lack of control on the line, and after lots of research and reading, decided to buy a bait caster. I took the advise of many here about spending the extra money and buying a quality setup, I can verify that it absolutely makes a difference. I now only reach for the bc rod when I go fishing, I Own two now and my very expensive spinning rod has not touched water all year (the better half reminds me of this every time we go fishing) I was a complete noob to bc reels and it really took only 2 or 3 trips before I started to really get proficient in using it, I now have zero brake set and have not had a birds nest yet. How I got good at it was I sat there in the winter while watching hockey games and let the lure fall to the floor and trained my thumb on how to control the line. If I ever go back to BC I will still use the bait caster, maybe even more then my fly rod
Old 09-20-2015, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post

I don't like bait casters and never will. Spin cast works for me, I catch all the fish I want so I use what I like.

I don't need a rifle or a fishing reel to prove that I have worth. If others need that, it's nothing to me.
I don't understand where you are getting that anyone is saying their worth is measured by their fishing reel..... I think the question was if the allure of the bait caster was worth the effort.

Mack
Old 09-21-2015, 09:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post

Exactly.
I'd bet if you and I went fishing with our spin reels against a dozen of these baitcaster pet rock, marketing hype, sponge heads, we'd show them how it's done. Baitcasters are for fools who'd buy the last oceanfront Alberta vacation property.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:55 AM

Default If you can't manage

The dexterity to operate a bait cast reel than just man up .

It's not a big deal , you got other things going on .

Like you are currently the number1 Troll on here .

And though short lived it is a big deal .

Your likely the current ignore list favourite .

Remember ,it's better that people think your a fool

Than opening your mouth and leaving no doubt .....

I'm always glad to help .
Old 09-21-2015, 11:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Exactly.
I'd bet if you and I went fishing with our spin reels against a dozen of these baitcaster pet rock, marketing hype, sponge heads, we'd show them how it's done. Baitcasters are for fools who'd buy the last oceanfront Alberta vacation property.
You sir, are nuts.http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/image...shakeshout.gif
Old 09-21-2015, 02:35 PM

My dad taught me how to use a baitcaster in the 60s. I got my first Ambassadeur is 1982. I now own three, and have converted my brothers to them for specific applications.

The only reel to use for 20lb line or higher. No line twist. Easiest for trolling and downrigging.

Casting with them is like flyfishing. You could not make a 4 wt rod with a reel designed for 10 weight line and use 7 weight line and make it work satisfactorily. Same thing with baitcasters.

As well, baitcasters require regular cleaning and maintenance. Don't do it, and they will pack it up.

When we go for large Northern Pike (40"+, 20-30 pounds) we ONLY use Ambassadeur baitcasters with 15 pound test or better on 6.5-7 foot single piece rods with a medium-heavy to heavy action. As a result, we have not lost fish, broken rods, or had reels fail.

Vic
Old 09-22-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Exactly.
It is always funny how someone that can not understand or master something always resorts to name calling those that can. But that is ok you continue to fish your way I will continue to CATCH my way.

Mack
Old 09-22-2015, 08:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
It is always funny how someone that can not understand or master something always resorts to name calling those that can. But that is ok you continue to fish your way I will continue to CATCH my way.

Mack

I'm happy for you. Roses and chocolate for Valentines to you.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:09 PM

Quote:
I'm happy for you. Roses and chocolate for Valentines to you.
Dang gum it.....I probably won't get my roses and chocolates now.
Mack
Old 10-02-2015, 09:00 AM

great for bottom bouncing especially in rod holder
Old 10-03-2015, 04:17 PM

Default TryBPS pro qualifier

Good discussion for the most part.

I use both. BCs with a line counter are great for trolling and bottom bouncing. I like them for ice fishing large fish too. I have a BPS pro Qualifier that is really good (casts a mile and really hard to backlash) and you can get it for about $100. The low profile BCs are great for casting cranks, spinners and large plastics. I still like spinning reels for jigging and casting small lures in rivers.

I don't think I would use spinning gear for any trolling applications any more. For casting it is a matter of the type of gear you own, experience and personal taste.

Any day fishing is a good one!
Old 10-16-2016, 07:57 AM

I saw some guys using baitcasters at whitemud, they couldn't get a hook a foot off shore!
Old 10-16-2016, 08:45 AM

Default Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pike4Dayzz View Post
I saw some guys using baitcasters at whitemud, they couldn't get a hook a foot off shore!
So I guess baitcasters must be crap. How could I have been so wrong? Your keen mind and machine like reasoning skills are unassailable. All of the posters on here saying they used them effectively and all the successful bass tournament and walleyes tournament anglers who use them are just part of a grand conspiracy or just plain deluded. I know if I was a tournament angler and my paycheck depended on my effectiveness on the water I would use substandard equipment. I just can't figure out how the tournament organizers have rigged the tournaments to make the anglers using baitcasters win. It must involve the illuminati.

Is the above the more likely scenario, or is it that baitcasters just are a little harder to master and some people give up on them?

I guess you think 9/11 was an inside job too.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
I saw an old grandma driving a Ferrarri only 60 km/hr on the Henday and passed her with my half ton doing 100 km/hr ...... so Ferrarri's suck .... they are slow .... my truck is way faster.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
You are starting to sound familiar.