Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-13-2011, 06:33 PM

I couldn't care less about a carbon footprint from an ice auger, I don't have a truck and all I have is an xterra to take fishing. I had a gas auger last year and the fumes would build up after a while...it was mid summer before it didn't smell like gas anymore.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:37 PM

A drill off!! That's awesome!
Old 11-13-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreeUM View Post
I couldn't care less about a carbon footprint from an ice auger, I don't have a truck and all I have is an xterra to take fishing. I had a gas auger last year and the fumes would build up after a while...it was mid summer before it didn't smell like gas anymore.
I'm catching on, another reasonable reason for propane or electric. I could see fumes being an issue for some.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
I'm catching on, another reasonable reason for propane or electric. I could see fumes being an issue for some.
yep have a disease where some fumes kill me
Old 11-13-2011, 06:43 PM

I know I certainly didn't purchase it because I cared what anyone else thought.. I made an informed decision that most suited me.. I don't care how anyone else makes a hole in the ice, that would be their business, and I certainly wouldn't tell them what the "correct" way is to do it
Old 11-13-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
What issues? Keep a gallon of mixed fuel in the garage or in the truck zero issues in cold temperatures. Clean burning, got me there I suppose however I'm yet to meet someone who doesn't love that 2 stroke smoke! As far a longer lasting engine? Prove it. I call BS on that if propane engines were so good I'd like to think there would be alot more of them. So if a cleaner burn is what your looking for the. By all means drop a couple hundred extra! When it's -30 and you need a hole drilled by all means I'll lend you my GAS 10" and you can drill away. Really I'm not trying to give you guys a hard time but honestly read the posts and tell me how many have a "the only thong is" in them. I bought mine so I could take it out add gas and go!!
Haha, I run a 2 stroke Strikemaster myself...don't plan on changing that anytime soon. I was merley trying to provide the info you wanted. Fumes and spills (on the ice, clothes or vehicle) is my main concern but so long as you are careful plain old motion lotion is fine.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:01 AM

Funny that the old jiffy's that are hard starting are all like 15 years old. Do you think that anything that is that old would not be hard starting? My third season with my Eskimo gas and still starts 2nd pull at most. Pulled it out of the shed the other day, filled with gas and second pull. And that was with an empty tank for a season. Hope my Eskimo lasts 15 years. Hope everyones augers last 15 or more years with no problems. I would bet that if you put a new carb, $60.00 on those old ones and changed the fuel filter and lines that they would start on the second pull again. Good luck on the propane one, hope it works great for many seasons. How much for that propane auger? My Eskimo was $300 so if yours was $600 I can get a new one every 8 years or so for the money you spent. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:20 AM

Apparently how much I spent is quite a concern.. Perhaps you would be willing to donate some cash to me to subsidize my expense... Keep sending your 2 cents, they add up
Old 11-14-2011, 07:04 AM

Good for you for buying what you wanted. It is no different than someone buying a Weatherby as opposed to a Winchester. Some guys spend 300$ or more on rifle shells at the range in 1 year. So big deal if we spent an extra couple hundred on a product that should last 15 years. Kim maybe you could donate to me as well to subsidize my purchase ?
Old 11-14-2011, 10:25 AM

Okay okay so Karma bit me in the behind, tried starting the ol jiffy (gas) and ripped the whole starting assembly into pieces.. lol. Now being pretty lazy I saw a neat way of starting drag bikes at the track so I threw a 14mm socket in the cordless drill and pulled the trigger on the auger and it started right up!! So I'm not going to bother trying to find/purchase the pull start assembly I've always got a drill/batteries/charger in the truck so it's electric start for my gas jiffy this year.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:55 PM

Nicely done !!! You should patent that ****. Well at least everyone will know who you are when they see you out on the hard water starting your drill with a drill. Ha!!!
Old 11-14-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbuckhunter#1 View Post
Nicely done !!! You should patent that ****. Well at least everyone will know who you are when they see you out on the hard water starting your drill with a drill. Ha!!!
Drill start drill!! Nice ring to it, ill do a little video demonstration and upload it.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbuckhunter#1 View Post
Good for you for buying what you wanted. It is no different than someone buying a Weatherby as opposed to a Winchester. Some guys spend 300$ or more on rifle shells at the range in 1 year. So big deal if we spent an extra couple hundred on a product that should last 15 years. Kim maybe you could donate to me as well to subsidize my purchase ?
Wow! Now everyone wants two cents from me.
I would bet you paid between $500 and $550, I was just wondering about the price jeffrey929.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:49 AM

It was $549.95 plus tax at The Fishin Hole.....
Old 04-21-2012, 03:30 PM

First power auger for me. Jiffy propane 10 inch.

Pros

Cuts like a beast
Starts easy
Built well
Set up tent then drill (no smell)
No mess/smell in transport (in cab)

Cons

Heavy
Needs to be transported in certain positions (two)
Heavy
Old 04-21-2012, 10:23 PM

me and a buddy each bought a pro 4 last year mines 8" his 10" awesome auger, 2 pull starts, drills about 75 holes to a tank of propane. only draw back you have to transport them with spark plug up or oil will leak out exhaust. Great auger and you don't have to fart around mixing gas!
Old 04-22-2012, 09:35 AM

I Love mine and have zero regrets in purchasing it.....