Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 09:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevwood View Post
I am not agreeing with the poster you were knocking about the deer and I understand what you are saying about genetics, but your example is not a good one, if a 200" buck will just grow in 5 years than there would be hundreds of Booners shot every year. It takes a very special combination of genetics and antler growing conditions to create such a rare animal...similar to the years it takes to grow a big Laker...

And btw great Laker...BEAUTY!!!

True fellows but I think you got the jest of my comment,, one CAN be obtained in a few short years the other takes a few decades..
Old 01-27-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
So is your message take what you can while you can because it won't get better?

LC
As of right now it looks like it won't get better, I have seen to many times some excellent fishing lakes that are over manged and you can hardly keep anything for years and then one year it up and winter kills, I know we can't predict this but isn't that a huge waste, all those 15 year old walleye and nobody gets to enjoy them now but the seagulls and ravens. My message isn't take what you can while you can but enjoy what we have now because it looks like our lakes days are numbered. Also I would have released that fish myself but I do not in any way criticize somebody for keeping it either.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:55 AM

Haha what does a guy do. If you released it you'd get every armchair quarter back dicking about the size ECt. You keep it and everyone says its a waste.

I will say that there may be some young or new fisherman that aren't aware of the impacts they have on the lakes and fisheries. Obviously Pete is neither of these and doesn't need to read this garbage on his thread sharing his prize with this community. We all get sucked into these I'm no better

Beauty fish! A dream come true for any Albertan fisherman. Thanks for sharing!
Old 01-27-2013, 10:02 AM

I have never understood the need to prove anything to anyone....if I catch a good fish I take the best pic I can if I am alone at the time and I release. I tell the people who matter to me or I share a photo with them. The ones that matter know my word is good and that all that is needed.

If I happen to decide to post a pic then I welcome people to comment and make themselves look foolish....because I really could give a rats behind what "jimmy90210" or "lady balls" from AO has to say about it...I post pics because I like seeing pics, and I like to share.

People need thicker skin...

LC
Old 01-27-2013, 10:18 AM

agreed. but I know criticism does turn people off from posting here.

I always say thanks for sharing, because when it's been awhile I appreciate the pics. And as you see it's pretty thankless haha
Old 01-27-2013, 10:32 AM

You are absolutely right. I think some people dont understand that fishing and hunting is all about personal choices. Everytime you catch a fish it is a personal choice that everyone makes and to think you are going to educate someone is beyond belief. i am sorry that I ever asked someone to post this picture for me. I thought it would be of interest to some people but you have no fear about me ever sharing another picture that I receive on this site. With all the people that think you can get all your measurements for a replica mount and not hurt that fish is whistling dixie. I thank the people that accepted this picture in the way it was presented..
Old 01-27-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark gingell View Post
You are absolutely right. I think some people dont understand that fishing and hunting is all about personal choices. Everytime you catch a fish it is a personal choice that everyone makes and to think you are going to educate someone is beyond belief. i am sorry that I ever asked someone to post this picture for me. I thought it would be of interest to some people but you have no fear about me ever sharing another picture that I receive on this site. With all the people that think you can get all your measurements for a replica mount and not hurt that fish is whistling dixie. I thank the people that accepted this picture in the way it was presented..
X2 sorry for all the complainers but it always happens, that is a great once in a lifetime fish you should be proud and not let any body tarnish it for you. Congrats
Old 01-27-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I have never understood the need to prove anything to anyone....if I catch a good fish I take the best pic I can if I am alone at the time and I release. I tell the people who matter to me or I share a photo with them. The ones that matter know my word is good and that all that is needed.

If I happen to decide to post a pic then I welcome people to comment and make themselves look foolish....because I really could give a rats behind what "jimmy90210" or "lady balls" from AO has to say about it...I post pics because I like seeing pics, and I like to share.

People need thicker skin...

LC
I think the poster has thick skin he just is tired of all the crap that gets thrown around all the time, if you want a conversation on c&r and size restrictions you should start a thread. All the poster wanted to do was share a once in a lifetime fish, so once again congratulations that fish is a beauty.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:47 AM

Awesome fish! Thats a laker of a lifetime for sure!
Old 01-27-2013, 11:06 AM

Great catch!! Congrats!
Old 01-27-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownb View Post
I think the poster has thick skin he just is tired of all the crap that gets thrown around all the time, if you want a conversation on c&r and size restrictions you should start a thread. All the poster wanted to do was share a once in a lifetime fish, so once again congratulations that fish is a beauty.
I wasn't aiming my comments at the OP at all....just a comment about posting pics in general.

I have to agree its a great fish and a great catch and jealousy drives alot of the negative comments.

LC
Old 01-27-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
x2
Old 01-27-2013, 11:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark gingell View Post
You are absolutey wrong on this,, we can and do educate people and sway peoples views everyday on here. I for one have changed my view on many topics thanks to this place. I was raised old school,, take, take, take but over the years of being on sites like this my view has changed it has opened up my eyes to a lot of issues.

I have nothing againts people keeping fish to eat none what so ever I do the same. But this fish is not an eater,, why kill it..

Again I will make no apology for trying to save this fishery. Yes it is to bad this has to come out on a thread about a mans fish but sometimes thats the way it is. If this is a surprise to anyone thats their mistake for posting a kill like this,, maybe just maybe we will open some eyes and stop the killing of a couple more of these giants this year. If we save 2 over this thread this year its worth it..
Old 01-27-2013, 11:51 AM

Way to throw this thread off topic guy's. Congratulations on that beautiful Laker bud!!!! The expression on your face say's it all!!!!! Bunch of jealous *******s on this form have nothing better to do than sit on there computors all day criticizing people's right's.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
I wasn't aiming my comments at the OP at all....just a comment about posting pics in general.

I have to agree its a great fish and a great catch and jealousy drives alot of the negative comments.

LC
I sure hope you don't think my comments were negative, I am not jealous what so ever, I was only stating that this fellow was posting a pic to share his once and a lifetime catch and there are a few on here that would rather whine and moan, hey lefty your right the whiners are the jealous ones, but it only takes one to derail a thread.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:14 PM

First off, Congrats on a great fish ..... well done ...........that thing is a pig !!!!

Secondly, thank you for sharing your pictures with us .....

Lastly, a few points have been made, many of them good.

I feel I should use a barbless hooks, so I do, I don't judge other who don't.

I feel I should release a big fish, so I do, but I don't judge other that don't.

It's difficult for a guy to say "I wish it was released" without sounding judgmental, but I appreciate the advice and guidance others are giving. Understand their intentions, they are trying to protect the fishery.

So - I won't lay blame to anyone on this post, not will I pass judgement.

I always hate to see conflict on here fearing to see less and less pictures posted.

I am like Switzerland ............ only except less french looking.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:03 PM

Obviously should have been released but none the less what a beautiful catch, beautiful fish way to go.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:07 PM

Default Awsome fish

That's an awsome Laker
Congrats on your trophy,

NIKON
Old 01-27-2013, 03:34 PM

Congrats on an awesome laker.

Sorry to hijack the thread but I have never seen vehicle traffic on Cold Lake like I did this Saturday. It was absolutely mind blowing to say the least. Even ran into several groups that camped out on the lake from E-town.

I think the regs on this lake need to be severely addressed as the pressure it recieves is severe to extreme. And yes I will say this, They need to lower the Burbot limit. No other lake sees as much pressure on its ling than Cold Lake.

Again, nice laker and sorry for the hijack!
Old 01-27-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
I sure hope you don't think my comments were negative, I am not jealous what so ever, I was only stating that this fellow was posting a pic to share his once and a lifetime catch and there are a few on here that would rather whine and moan, hey lefty your right the whiners are the jealous ones, but it only takes one to derail a thread.
No sir, not directing my comment towards you at all. Just a general comment. Yes you are correct that it only takes one comment to steer a thread in a different direction than intended.

LC
Old 01-27-2013, 03:55 PM

Wow, that's a beauty, almost as nice as the one I'm gonna catch next week
Old 01-27-2013, 04:06 PM

Very nice laker!
Old 01-27-2013, 04:10 PM

Default haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgz View Post
Wow, that's a beauty, almost as nice as the one I'm gonna catch next week
And Keep????........lol....
Old 01-27-2013, 04:15 PM

Back to one of the original questions, what kind of hole did you have that you could land that fish?
Old 01-27-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Back to one of the original questions, what kind of hole did you have that you could land that fish?
^^^
Old 01-27-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
The guy that caught this monster is not a member of this forum. So if you see him fishing CL you can ask him then.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:14 PM

i wonder how many trout were kept on saturday? over 200 trucks, 2/3 people per truck
450 people im guessing 50 % kept a trout.
225 trout x 6.5 lbs = 1462 lbs i just guessing,
thats just 1 day, how many just die? who knows.
not a complaint just courious how many people kept a trout?
Old 01-27-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
I am sick and tired of people getting criticized for keeping fish, it is not against the law. Here is a question for you. How many people will pass a 200 plus inch whitetail because they want it to spread its genetics. The answer I am sure will be no one. A trophy is a trophy, every bodies standards are different, it is what matters in the eye of the beholder.
Dude take a midol and relax. I didn’t criticize the guy for catching or keeping a fish. The point I was making was about the regulations and lack of willingness for conservation on Cold Lake and many other water bodies in our province. One should not need a law to ensure conservation occurs.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
Dude take a midol and relax. I didn’t criticize the guy for catching or keeping a fish. The point I was making was about the regulations and lack of willingness for conservation on Cold Lake and many other water bodies in our province. One should not need a law to ensure conservation occurs.
First of all I dont need a midol because as you stated in you wisdom i am a dude. I wasnt attacking cold lake and the fishermen on it, I was simply saying other anglers should not criticize somebody who is a posting a pic of a probably once in a lifetime achievement, dont worry though I am sure he will never post a pick again. Your right one should not need a law to ensure conservation occurs but i can see no rules that were broken, just one happy fisherman.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:57 PM

Congrates on that once in a life time catch .
Would love to try Littleoldladies laker reciepy on those steaks.
Congrates Peter !
Closed Thread