Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-23-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol whitey View Post
Big eye's caught every fall out of the Red Deer River.
Yup.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:18 AM
Banned

Default Big Fish are where you find em !

Mobility and an open mind . Wayne has both.....fish 4 or 5 days
A week , don't get stuck on one presentation , understand
Your prey ......I plan on moving from lake to River this year ...
Old 03-23-2016, 05:04 PM

#1-NSR (I am including the inflows upstream 1/4 mile)

#2-Bistcho Lake (only getting better with no nets)

#3-Cold Lake

#1A-Primrose Lake (Not fishable...but hasn't been fished in a few decades...stocks every lake in the province...fish I have seen in nets average right around 6 pounds).

Spruce
Old 03-23-2016, 05:12 PM

Buddy of mine caught 5 around the provincial record and an other dozen or so around the 12-13 lbs range last season fishing for Sturgeon in the South Sask river...there's your answer!!
Old 03-23-2016, 05:32 PM

From my little experience, I have consistently caught 5 to 7 pound walleye out of Gull with a few bigger than that. Almost wonder if there's going to be generational issues there. For consistently good sized walleye's Gull is solid. For potential of record, I think Newell is there as I've caught some big walleye out of Newell with the one that got away being quite large. Then again, as a kid we caught quite a few out of the South Saskatchewan River not even realizing how significant they were. I recognize I have to fish more lakes north of Edmonton though.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moefoe View Post
Buddy of mine caught 5 around the provincial record and an other dozen or so around the 12-13 lbs range last season fishing for Sturgeon in the South Sask river...there's your answer!!
Zero doubt in my mind. I know for absolutely certain that I have released 4 guaranteed fish to be a new provincial record, and another guy I know has caught and freed at least a dozen of his own that would do it. Some guys do everything they can to chase obscure records like line classes or the biggest fish on a Wednesday of a full moon...others don't care and just fish cuz it's fun. For those that it matters to have some shred of fame, the SSR has what it takes to produce a REAL fish record. Not a world record, but a provincial for sure.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:27 PM

Default Big walleyes

So far I've caught 3 10lbers in the SSR. some biggies in Chin as well.
Drove across Chin today and the water level was well up the boat ramp.
I was surprised.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROA View Post
Lots of stories of huge record breaking walleye netted out of primrose.
My dad personally caught a 22 lb, there is lots of 12-14 caught every year
Old 03-24-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icehole View Post
Primrose is off limits isn't it? I worked on the bombing range/prison and the inspector said they were night fishing on it?
we net fish it every christmas, no angling year round
Old 03-25-2016, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verado eyes View Post
we net fish it every christmas, no angling year round
22lb in Alberta? i dont belive that at all..Never been a walleye that size recorded in the country..
Old 03-25-2016, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deercamp View Post
recorded ..
Key word...... I suspect every "recorded" provincial record has been smashed in the past.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:52 AM

at 22 lb that would be the top 5 walley if not higher caught in north america in history . i agree that record gets beaten and not recorded but not by margins like this, 30 plus percent.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:59 AM

Quote:
at 22 lb that would be the top 5 walley if not higher caught in north america in history . i agree that record gets beaten and not recorded but not by margins like this, 30 plus percent.
You realize it was netted and not angled.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:32 AM

yes for sure but by any means doesnt make it any more believable that such a fish existed.Ive dealt with and talked to lots of commercial fishermen and always ask these question and none from alberta sask or manitoba have ever seen anything touch 20lb
Old 03-25-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
yes for sure but by any means doesnt make it any more believable that such a fish existed.Ive dealt with and talked to lots of commercial fishermen and always ask these question and none from alberta sask or manitoba have ever seen anything touch 20lb
I have heard of a 26 lb caught back in the 60's, i think i know a few more commercial fishermen then you, My dad has been on primrose for over 50 years doing it, Believe what u want, i know what i see every year, its rare to get them over 14 but they do come once and a while, walleye over 12 lbs have so much power they flip and rip a hole and keep going, thats why its rare, And do your home work on lake diefenbaker then took spawn and had some in the 18 lb range to
Old 03-25-2016, 10:21 AM

Primrose has world records in it there is no doubt about it. Anyone that has netted it or has family or friends that used to net it has the same stories. 20lbs plus walleyes with over 10 very common.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Primrose has world records in it there is no doubt about it. Anyone that has netted it or has family or friends that used to net it has the same stories. 20lbs plus walleyes with over 10 very common.
I have also heard of the stories, I'm not denying that the rumour is out there but no one ever seems to have a picture or an actual weight, length girth etc. Or kept one and got it stuffed for that matter. I have pulled nets with lots of guys and if we flopped one on the ice that's 5lb over the provincial record and beats the national record it sure wouldn't have gone in the pile. Not a chance.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:38 PM

Default Might Be A Silly Question ..... But

How is one allowed to net, and receive permission, for Primerose Lake ... when it has been a "no fishing" zone for almost a decade?
Old 03-25-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Dude I know who maintains the gravel roads up there on the Sask side told me cool story about Primrose...years back the river that flows between Cold lake and Primrose was blocked up with debris at a culvert so he, a couple of other guys and an excavator had to clear it. Being that it was early May the river was stuffed with Walleye, but not just any Walleye, the biggest Eye's he's ever seen...every pool was crammed with monsters! At the time I thought it was just a story but over the years I've heard a few guys talk about that place. Good food source, no fishing pressure, I could see it!!
Old 03-25-2016, 04:17 PM

Default Which Alberta water would you say has the biggest walleye?

I haven't been to lake Newell yet but correct me if i'm wrong and i hope i am, but i think i read that lake Newell is catch and release this year for walleye.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiity View Post
I haven't been to lake Newell yet but correct me if i'm wrong and i hope i am, but i think i read that lake Newell is catch and release this year for walleye.
theyve been on the tag system for a while

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 03-25-2016, 08:12 PM

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 03-25-2016, 08:35 PM

Default wow is all i can say

Wayne. I assume that pic is for real. If so that is proof that there are real monsters in our fine province. Truly a once In a life time fish for most of us!!!!

They don't get big like that for no reason. Just have to get off the hard traveled path.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:27 PM

I've never really looked into fishing lake Newell. It's a good size and I've never owned a boat up until this year. I just read about the Walleye tag system there, and am thinking of applying for one this year.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:39 PM

Newell has some big girls, I would say less overall numbers than Crawling Valley for instance but a larger average size.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:02 PM

Athabasca/Pembina River

David
Old 03-28-2016, 10:57 AM

Gull lake or nsr by heinzburg

Some mega eyes in both
Old 03-28-2016, 02:50 PM

I tournament fish Pinehurst Lake and the quality as well as numbers are for sure UP. Lake Newel has produced some giant walleye through the ice. These would be my picks for good walleye weight and numbers
Old 03-28-2016, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
Zero doubt in my mind. I know for absolutely certain that I have released 4 guaranteed fish to be a new provincial record, and another guy I know has caught and freed at least a dozen of his own that would do it. Some guys do everything they can to chase obscure records like line classes or the biggest fish on a Wednesday of a full moon...others don't care and just fish cuz it's fun. For those that it matters to have some shred of fame, the SSR has what it takes to produce a REAL fish record. Not a world record, but a provincial for sure.
That's awesome, I'm assuming you have some pics at minimum? Not saying is don't believe you, but care about record or not, the curiousity of how big the fish actually is must have prompted a measurement and a weight .
Old 03-28-2016, 07:35 PM

I'll nominate Calling Lake...