Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-29-2017, 02:48 PM

Default Waders

I need to replace my stocking foot waders this year, and I was wondering what you guys and gals are currently using? Simms seem to be the go to brand these days. Anyone own Orvis or others? I'm not sure that the higher end Simms waders are in my budget right now, anyone own their lower end Freestone model? Any other brands I should be looking at?
Old 06-29-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
I need to replace my stocking foot waders this year, and I was wondering what you guys and gals are currently using? Simms seem to be the go to brand these days. Anyone own Orvis or others? I'm not sure that the higher end Simms waders are in my budget right now, anyone own their lower end Freestone model? Any other brands I should be looking at?
I use cabelas brand ... the warranty is good that you can simply go in and switch for a new pair if something happens.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:00 PM

I have Patagonia Rio's. Same price point as high end Simms but are very good. The merino lined booties are lovely.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2017, 12:47 AM

Orvis SS guide. Two years in and they are still good
Old 06-30-2017, 07:31 AM

I refuse to overspend for waders. Simms and a few other companies are really overcharging for their products. Sure, some of the products are ideal for guides and people who fish 100 days a year. If you do, then you should spend the money for them.

If you're mostly a fair weather fisherman and weekend warrior, you can't go wrong with a Cabelas brand wader. I have had 2 pairs of their waist waders for years with no problems. $109. I may splurge for the $149 pair of chest waders next time to get the front pocket. But I am never, EVER spending $300+ on a pair of waders.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:41 AM

I use cabelas and I'm super happy with them. Double knee, and comfortable. Best of all, they keep water out. They get the crap beaten out of them with some of the places I huff bush. No leaking so far. They're very well priced compared to other brands. I've used some lower end redingtons as well and was happy with those too.

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/1339/c...y-plus-regular
Old 06-30-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Baum View Post
I refuse to overspend for waders. Simms and a few other companies are really overcharging for their products. Sure, some of the products are ideal for guides and people who fish 100 days a year. If you do, then you should spend the money for them.

If you're mostly a fair weather fisherman and weekend warrior, you can't go wrong with a Cabelas brand wader. I have had 2 pairs of their waist waders for years with no problems. $109. I may splurge for the $149 pair of chest waders next time to get the front pocket. But I am never, EVER spending $300+ on a pair of waders.
Good advice, I fish alot so I tend to buy higher end gear, but cheaper stuff is the way to go if you're not hitting the water multiple times a week or guiding. End of year sales can also be excellent on higher end stuff.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2017, 11:46 AM

Bought a pair of wading socks this year, just wear an old pair of shorts with them while i'm fishing. Don't think I have much use for my waders anymore.

Even in spring temperatures, its not bad with the wading socks. I fish maybe 30 times during fly season, and I spend a majority of the time fishing from shore. The wading socks are good enough to cross the creeks to get to my spots, cost $30 for the socks
Old 06-30-2017, 12:31 PM

I currently use the simms freestone waders and i have no complaints. I have had them for about a year now and they are quite comfortable and durable.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:32 PM

Second season in my Orvis Encounters, and so far so good. Not showing any sign of wear. I really like the fit of the "short" for an undertall, slightly round fella like me. I probably do only 20 or so days a year wading and another handful on a float tube, so am not too rough on waders. Hope to get several years from the Encounters. I've been reading good things online about Hodgmans as a less expensive alternative too.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:18 PM

I've been using a set of William Joseph for about 4 season now. No complaints really. Only thing I wish I had was the waterproof fly in the front to take a leak.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:38 PM

I have been abusing my Simms Head Water wader for 3 years now. use them about 30 times an year, and still good. No leak. Thumbs up!
Old 07-03-2017, 10:34 PM

Why use waders. shorts work great till xmas
Old 07-04-2017, 12:05 AM

I third the shorts and wader socks options. I did quite a bit of fishing this past weekend in jasper and loved being in the water. I own two pairs of waders and really only use them when float tubing in ponds.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JReed View Post
Bought a pair of wading socks this year, just wear an old pair of shorts with them while i'm fishing. Don't think I have much use for my waders anymore.

Even in spring temperatures, its not bad with the wading socks. I fish maybe 30 times during fly season, and I spend a majority of the time fishing from shore. The wading socks are good enough to cross the creeks to get to my spots, cost $30 for the socks
This might be a stupid question but what's the purpose of wading socks?? Just make the boot fit better?
Old 07-04-2017, 01:30 PM

I have a pair of Reddingtons that fit and work just fine. Actually replaced a pair of Simms with them and am quite satisfied. Don't cost an arm and a leg.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
I bought a pair of Orvis Silver Sonics this year. They are perfect. High quality and they have detachable suspenders so that you can wear them like pants too. Which I really like. They are a good option that aren't $600-$700. A friend of mine works for a fisheries management company and he wore them for 200+ days working in the bush before he had a leak.

EDIT: I will add one thing. They are 3 layer as apposed to 4 or 5 that most "guide" quality will have. But I like that because they are more flexible when you are walking/moving/crouching. So theoretically they wont be as durable, but you actually gain something from that as well. And like I said, durability doesn't seem to be an issue.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shortington View Post
I bought a pair of Orvis Silver Sonics this year. They are perfect. High quality and they have detachable suspenders so that you can wear them like pants too. Which I really like. They are a good option that aren't $600-$700. A friend of mine works for a fisheries management company and he wore them for 200+ days working in the bush before he had a leak.

EDIT: I will add one thing. They are 3 layer as apposed to 4 or 5 that most "guide" quality will have. But I like that because they are more flexible when you are walking/moving/crouching. So theoretically they wont be as durable, but you actually gain something from that as well. And like I said, durability doesn't seem to be an issue.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shortington View Post
This might be a stupid question but what's the purpose of wading socks?? Just make the boot fit better?
Make the boot fit better, keep your feet dry/warm, plus the wading socks dry super quick as opposed to just a thick pair of socks.

When I'm on the shore fishing, i'll roll them down to my ankles. When it comes time to cross a creek or wade in the water, I'll roll them up and have coverage up to my knee.

With trout fishing creeks/ rivers, I find there aren't many scenarios that require casting while wading in the river. For those few scenarios, wading socks have me covered. Why wade in the river and possibly spook the fish when you don't have to. Most fish are within a few feet of shore anyway, no need to be in the water