Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-01-2017, 10:07 PM

Default Fishing in the Gull Lake area

I will be in the Gull Lake area next Friday-Monday and was wondering if you guys could suggest a place to fish. I do not mind driving for up to an hour one way. I have never had an opportunity to fish in the area and really not familiar with it all that well at all. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Cheers!

And Happy 150th!
Old 07-02-2017, 08:43 AM

Do you have a boat?
What species of fish would you like to catch?
What gear do you have (fly rod wt)?
Old 07-02-2017, 09:09 AM

Years ago when we had a place on Aspen Beach, Gull Lake I would drive out to Rocky Mountain House area. Also I would take #12 west to #22 and explore the dirt roads in that area. found several beaverdams with fish.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
Do you have a boat?
What species of fish would you like to catch?
What gear do you have (fly rod wt)?
No boat. Have a few rods, ready for anything, pretty much. Can't say I have a preference species wise. Trout (not stocked) would be awesome, since I do not get a chance to do that often.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:02 PM

No more suggestions from anyone? If someone would rather PM me, please do. Just looking for a day (possibly two) of good fishing in a new to me area. I won't be back there for a long while.
Thanks all.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:26 PM
Suspended User

Northwest of Rimbey, a half hour is Medicine Lake. Pike and perch from shore in many spots. You can Wade around Full, and pull some fish out. Otherwise it's stocked ponds, Open Creek west of Rimbey, several scattered around. An hour west of Rimbey past Highway 22 you can get to the North Saskatchewan River.
Rimbey area isn't a hotspot for fishing. Mostly creek fishing
Old 07-05-2017, 10:24 PM

I really appreciate your reply! Really do.

I know it is not the hot spot, but there is gotta be something

Since not too many people replied, I looked at the map and figured I might take a trip towards Rocky Mountain House and fish the rivers and creeks there. See how it goes. I drove through the area several times, but never actually stepped out of the vehicle.

I haven't exactly decided yet, but I might have my inflatable 2-person boat with me. Not yet sure I want to take it though.

I will also grab a spinning rod with me just in case. I went for a couple of hours evening fishing yesterday and have not had a single bite on any fly. Then switched to the spinning rod and got 9 pikes and 5 walleyes in about 20 minutes. Usually it's the other way around, but you never know I guess.

Cheers!