Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-22-2009, 01:42 PM

Default Fishing Report from Travers Reservoir

Hello everyone...

I made the 2+ hour drive from Cochrane for my first trip to Travers on Saturday with my 5-year old and my Dad. I've heard it was a decent fishery for the walleyes and pike and that what I wanted.

The water did not disappoint!

We got there about 5:15 pm and drove through what I thought was a very nice campground at Little Bow Prov. Park. Incidentally, it is $22 for unserviced lots and $28 for power. There is a nice beach for the kids and a concession stand. The boat launch was mildly busy and there are two ramps to launch from. There is also a floating dock but it was very crowded with what I assumed to be the boats of people staying in the campground.

We launched and headed to a few spots that I had picked out on a bathymetric map that a fellow board member had pointed out to me. What an excellent map it was! If you need it, here is the link:

http://srd.alberta.ca/fieldoffices/p...ps/travers.pdf

I actually brought my laptop with me with the map on it so I could zoom in to get the fine details because it is 34 inches long if you print it out.

We arrived at a point that I wanted to try and was surprised to find that my fish finder had crapped out! So now I was on a strange, huge lake and I felt blind! It was like looking for a needle in a haystack. I have since found out that my auxillary battery had died...oh well. And then the battery on the laptop died as well! I guess i should check these things a little closer before I leave...

I remembered from the bathy map that there was the canal inlet from MacGregor Res. and I had heard that might be a good spot so away we went. We got there and there was probably 15 people shore fishing and about 6 boats. I took that as a good sign. We took a crack at trolling some crankbaits but had no success with that so I decided to manuever into a spot and throw the anchor.

As I was making my approach, my daughter thought she would try one last cast with her brand-new Spiderman fishing rod that I had bought for her the day before at BPS. She had spent the afternoon prior to us leaving Cochrane practicing on the front lawn with a dummy weight. She had become rather good at it and was quite proud that she could cast 30 yds. Well...you can guess what had happened. Sploosh...right into the water and sinking fast! I couldn't swing back with the boat fast enough and it sunk outta sight. She was devastated...I have never seen her so upset! She's screaming and crying and the rest of the people out there must've thought I was commiting murder or something. It was so sad....so if anyone ever snags a Spiderman rod there, you know who it belongs to.

Once I had her calmed down and the boat anchored, it was time to get down to business. I had some 'inside' info that white jigheads with red iodized shafts tipped with minnow were the ticket and they were! I bought some that also had stinger hooks on them and that was a good idea...the stingers definitely saved a few missed strikes. We fished at that spot from about 7 pm right up until almost dark at 9:30-9:45. In that time, we pulled in about 40-50 walleyes and two pike. Most of the walleye were under the 50 cm limit size but we did manage to get two that were over. The two pike were too small as well. Guess what's for dinner tonight?

Overall, it was a great time. Fishing was good, weather was beautiful and my daughter was super excited...except for the lost rod issue. I'll definitely be returning to Travers sooner than later....complete with a working fish finder. Look out!

Old 06-22-2009, 01:52 PM

great story and pics. Love to see the kids having a good time. A ice fishing rod. going to have to try that. would make a great spare.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucktaker View Post
great story and pics. Love to see the kids having a good time. A ice fishing rod. going to have to try that. would make a great spare.
Thanks, Bucktaker...and yes, the ice rod works great for jigging off the side of the boat. And it REALLY came in handy after the Spiderman rod took a swim!
Old 06-22-2009, 03:35 PM

Thumbs up Guess ya didn't need those expensive BPS minnows...

...the cheaper Canadian Tire minnows work just fine!
Looks like you guys had a great day, in spite of lost rods & crapped out electronic devices. Glad to see it all worked out in the end!
Great report & pics!
Old 06-22-2009, 03:46 PM

Sry about the lil ones rod but it looks like she forgot real fast with that smile on her face. Good to hear that information you got on the board worked well for you.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15h...ec&usp=sharing
Old 06-22-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
...the cheaper Canadian Tire minnows work just fine!
Looks like you guys had a great day, in spite of lost rods & crapped out electronic devices. Glad to see it all worked out in the end!
Great report & pics!
Thanks, BlahBlahBlah (great name by the way!). There is something to be said when you can be successful and still do it without getting bent over by a price-gouging megastore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1 View Post
Sry about the lil ones rod but it looks like she forgot real fast with that smile on her face. Good to hear that information you got on the board worked well for you.
Jts1...unfortunately, with the crapped-out finder/GPS, I couldn't pinpoint any spots for the map for you and as you can see, I ended up at the spot you had added anyway! But that will change...thanks for the help!
Old 06-22-2009, 07:09 PM

Awesome report, Jack! Sounds alot like my fishing adventures except for the fact that you didn't fall in and actually caught fish.

Congrats on having a great Father's Day with your Dad and daughter, and thanks for sharing the fun.

Tree
Old 06-22-2009, 10:59 PM

Great report. Get that girl a new rod! Funny but by the looks of your pictures we fished the exact same spot Saturday from 9:30 till about 4PM and the fish never quit biting for us. We had equal success on minnows, gulp leeches, dew worms and live leeches. You picked a great spot. Rick.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:40 AM

Happy and sad story for sure. I have a Superman Fishing Rod for your little girl, right now it's hanging in my office. If you would like to pick it up, I'm in Calgary. Give me a call at 403-723-2721, and ask for Brian Hoppe. Or call me on my cell 403-796-6102.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:22 AM

Thumbs up Wow! What a stand-up guy!

Brian! Thanks a bunch for the offer! She will be very happy...I can guarantee that. I will give you a call ASAP.

There are some awesome people on this forum and you, my friend, are ranking very high on that list! Cheers!
Old 06-23-2009, 09:38 AM

Great to see little faces with BIG smiles even after a lost fishing rod.

Thanks for sharing the fun.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:04 PM

Such a cute photo:-)
This is a secret everyone who is reading this thread. Tell only special people. There is lake whitefish(best table fare in the world) about 100 yards out from shore. You can catch them with wire worms with a beaded head and fish them weightless. when ice fishing move closer to shore to about 6-9 ft of water. when open water fishng use a floater with no bobber stop so that the wire wor stands horizontally in the water.

fish for walleye at the spot the picture is with a jighead and a trailer hook. use smelt on end. (if u want u can use a icefishing rod.)
Old 01-05-2017, 12:33 PM

Chuckles...your post reminds me of an old movie.

Quote:
Wayne Campbell: All I have to say about that is "ass-sphincter-says-what" (spoken speedily).

Noah Vanderhoff [arcade owner]: What?

Wayne: A sphincter says what?

Vanderhoff: What?

Wayne: Exactly.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:21 PM

Happy New Year Scott good to see your mom hasn't throttled you yet

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-05-2017, 02:48 PM

Wow...talk about reviving an old post! I freaked out a little when I saw my name on this thread...though my account had been hacked.

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015