Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-06-2011, 08:44 PM

Default Costco: Kingfisher 3 Ice Shelter

hi guys,
since the Ice Inn fishing shelter is not available at Costco anymore, I purchased a new for Costco Kingfisher 3 Ice Shelter. It arrived today, took them 3 days to deliver from Vancouver via USPS.....

Made by OUTDOOR WORKS. I have a camping tent, made by the same company, no problems so far.

so, will do a short overview for this item:

GOOD: long bottom skirt (twice wider than on Ice Inn), 4 windows (2 on Ice Inn), better material on windows (fills thicker than on Ice Inn)....larger caring bag, easier to put it back.

NOT GOOD: ONLY ONE DOOR (2 for Ice Inn), very thin fabric on the bag, no outside pocket for anchors, top load in the bag(not like an Ice Inn with long zipper).

NEUTRAL: Same size 70x70x80(LxWxH), Blue in color (Orange for Ice Inn), same material, large anchor bag - keep inside of the caring bag.

A little bit disappointed with only one door, but generally - GOOD PRODUCT, will see how windows survive cold weather (knocking on wood)

thanks for reading
regards
K

Last edited by kostianych; 01-06-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:56 PM

What the heck do you need two doors for? I have been using a 1 door ice cube for 4 years and never thought, man i need another door LOL!
Old 01-06-2011, 09:00 PM

thanks for posting the review. been waiting for mine for 10 days, seems UPS forgot to take it off the truck in Medicine Hat, so its touring around. I also picked up a 4 man subzero from C tire today on sale, set it up in the house and other than the one door thing, it looks great. Vinyl windows, very very dark, cant see a strong light thru it when its held against the fabric, long skirts grometted anchor holes, and metal grip buckles for the outside tethers that have their own built in pouches on the tent to keep them tucked out of the way. Only one small roof vent, but the windows can be opened if I need more air. 72 by 72 and very tall, 84 I think. Have to see them side by side if the Costco one gets here tomorrow, the winner goes fishing Saturday and the other one will go back. Thing I like about the subzero is the poles fit in hinged fittings, instead of just in fabric pockets. the finish seems good too, seams are tight, comes with 8 good anchors with a zippered outside pouch on the carry bag, which is big enough to fit the tent rather easily, at least warm and dry. The material is lighter than the 6 man I had, but seems pretty strong. So far so good, cant wait to see how the kingfisher measures up, besides being a bit longer.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-06-2011, 09:03 PM

Went out today to Hasse with a buddy and used his tent. We both have Kingfishers, as we were moving locations mother nature decided we weren't in a good spot. The tent barrel rolled like tumble weed across the lake for probably 200 meters. Finally tracked it down and set it back up and everything seemed to hold up good.
So far with my tent i'm very happy, first one i've owned though
Old 01-06-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowtrail View Post
Went out today to Hasse with a buddy and used his tent. We both have Kingfishers, as we were moving locations mother nature decided we weren't in a good spot. The tent barrel rolled like tumble weed across the lake for probably 200 meters. Finally tracked it down and set it back up and everything seemed to hold up good.
So far with my tent i'm very happy, first one i've owned though
I always put in at least one anchor even on the calmest days, cause you never know

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-06-2011, 09:06 PM

I'm pretty happy with my Kingfisher 3. Used it about 6 times so far this year. No complaints so far, but I can see the stitching coming apart in the future.... you can see light through the stitching since day 1, and I'm guessing with more use, the small holes will get bigger and maybe start getting tears. But so far so good. Goes up and down quite easily, only takes 2-3 minutes. And for $169, even if it lasts only one season, still a pretty good deal.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
What the heck do you need two doors for? I have been using a 1 door ice cube for 4 years and never thought, man i need another door LOL!
That’s because your young and health and have no problem navigating around all the items inside your tent......When you’re my age you need the extra door for the paramedics to get in
Old 01-06-2011, 09:15 PM

Hey Wayne,

Have you thought about getting a flip over style hut? Makes it really nice when you want to move and don't have to tear down and pull out pegs. You would also have a nice big sled built in to keep all your gear in.

Nate
Old 01-06-2011, 09:18 PM

I watched one of those at Enchant, guy couldnt stand up, everytime he did it blew away on him takes about 30 seconds to set up a pop up when you use one twice a week, Im rather fond of them. started taking my drill tho, so much easier to put in the anchors when the ice is ironhard now I just need to find the adaptor to fit the anchors

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-06-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
give your little one to grow a little bit and you will understand me I have twins and their first fishing day is not far away
Old 01-06-2011, 10:21 PM

I also have a kingfisher 3, im VERY happy with it, can't really go wrong for the price! On the stiching, i dont really think it will go, almost all popups i have seen have stiching like that.

also TWO DOORS???? on a three man?????
Old 01-06-2011, 10:56 PM

Thumbs up

ok ok..one door is fine but we always need a "Plan B"
Old 01-07-2011, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
I'm pretty happy with my Kingfisher 3. Used it about 6 times so far this year. No complaints so far, but I can see the stitching coming apart in the future.... you can see light through the stitching since day 1, and I'm guessing with more use, the small holes will get bigger and maybe start getting tears. But so far so good. Goes up and down quite easily, only takes 2-3 minutes. And for $169, even if it lasts only one season, still a pretty good deal.
AWESOME can't wait to get mine in the mail I'm giddy like a schoolgirl
Old 01-07-2011, 05:09 AM

Any tent you can get for under $200 is a good deal. My Inn has 4 windows, and so far no problems. Did glue on some extra velcro on the windows and vents for the light. Seen the cold only 3 times tho. 2 doors is nice. One day I will build a 14ft drop down trailer.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingFrenzy View Post
I also have a kingfisher 3, im VERY happy with it, can't really go wrong for the price! On the stiching, i dont really think it will go, almost all popups i have seen have stiching like that.

also TWO DOORS???? on a three man?????
my 2 man has 2 doors, very nice in a crowded tent, you dont have to climb over the other person.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-07-2011, 10:09 AM

Cool

HUH, okay, well i stand corrected
Old 01-07-2011, 10:26 AM

I have an icecube 4 man. And I often fish with a fellow forum member with a 3-4 man clam. I kind of like the 2 door tents but it's because I have the bladder of 4 year old and I smoke alot so it's nice not to have to disturb others in the tent. Not really important but it's a nice option.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:46 AM

Friend of mine bought one and it's great. I just ordered mine on Wed. hoping it would come in by the end of the work day today, but not looking good. Guess we'll have to cram 3 big dudes + fish-cam + heater into my buddies Kingfisher 3 tent tomorrow. We'll be pushing the 3-man limit to the edge. Should be interesting.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:32 PM

I finally got mine today, right down to the wire on the 10 work day delivery policy. Its going back, not the same size as the one on the website, even tho its the same product number. I set it up and checked it out, if I hadnt bought the subzero I might have kept it, but they would have had to give me a partial refund, since its smaller than the advertised size. comes with the crappy frabill style ice anchors as well. I think Costco should start opening a sample of every product up and seeing if it actually matches what the website description says. Worth the price online I think, but if its smaller than what they say then thats a problem to me. Its also advertised as having 2 doors, but has only one. One thing I do like, is its the same size as my new "4" man but they must have figured it out with 3 normal size North Americans since they rate it as a 3 man.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-07-2011, 08:18 PM

how about fabric on both - from Costco and CT???
Old 01-07-2011, 09:45 PM

Both fabrics the same thickness, the CT tire shack has the rubber coating on the outside, the Kingfisher on the inside, not sure what difference it makes, but I think the coating is much better than the other shacks Ive had and seen, I dont think this coating is going to come off, it seems to be impregnated right into the material. My Ht and the other costco tent I had were peeling in spots right out of the box, and seemed to lose more coating with every use. I will have to see how this stuff works out once its in the cold after a few outings, but I like it much better than the rubberized coating.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-07-2011, 09:55 PM

thanks for info
Old 01-08-2011, 08:45 PM

I picked up the Kingfisher from Costco in GP today and set it up in the driveway to have a look at it. I like how easy and fast it goes up and at a great price; going to head out tomorrow to try it out.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:34 PM

Did you buy the 3 man or the 6 John? I bought the 6 the other day but can't get out till monday.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:46 AM

The three man; my fishing buddy is sick so looks like I won't get out until Friday.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
I have an icecube 4 man. And I often fish with a fellow forum member with a 3-4 man clam. I kind of like the 2 door tents but it's because I have the bladder of 4 year old and I smoke alot so it's nice not to have to disturb others in the tent. Not really important but it's a nice option.
Actually the Clam is a 2-3 man (read 1-2 man) not 3-4. I couldn't even imagine trying to get 4 guys in there...it would be like a clown car!

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 01-09-2011, 07:03 PM

I set the 6 man up today in the garage. Took a minute to figure out but once we got it it was pretty easy. I took it down by myself so that made me happy, lots of room too. John, we are heading out to Swan(near Debolt) tomorrow afternoon if you want to come out. Look for the big blue tent!!!
Old 01-09-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishinhog View Post
I set the 6 man up today in the garage. Took a minute to figure out but once we got it it was pretty easy. I took it down by myself so that made me happy, lots of room too. John, we are heading out to Swan(near Debolt) tomorrow afternoon if you want to come out. Look for the big blue tent!!!
Thanks for the offer but I have to work; going to try Sturgeon or Snipe on Friday. Good luck tomorrow.