Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-15-2012, 06:48 AM

Default mitchell or struble?

Heading to rocky for the weekend. Looking for opinions on weather mitchell or struble is the better lake. Ill be fishing float tube and fly...heard there are browns in michell..?
Old 06-15-2012, 07:38 AM

Yes there are browns in Mitchelle. Very hard to catch as they are spooky. Early morning before the shore fisherman show up, and I mean early. You need to be very quiet. Leach pattern. You might try Beaver also
Old 06-15-2012, 11:19 AM

in my experience Strubel is allot easier to catch fish at, although most of them are small rainbows and the odd 2lber if u get lucky. Mitchel has been a totally different story though, quite a few of big fish in there since when im on my boat and a good hatch is going on you can hear the big fish jumping, although very hard to catch any as posted above. long story short, if you want lots of easy to catch fish go Strubel and if you want a challenge and bigger fish go to Mitchel.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:17 PM

Thanks for the info guys, ill be sure to let you know how I make out.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:21 PM

Fished Mitchell Saturday morning in the light rain. Very nice set-up. Caught a ton of fish. Biggest at 15 inch and probably 30 plus 4-6 inch. Not allot of in between fish, mostly this years stock. I'm guessing it gets harvested very hard. Saw people keeping lots of these little trout. There should be a size limit in these aerated lakes. There are lots of stocked systems that winter kill to harvest these little trout. It just makes me sick to see these trout leave an aerated lake. They could sure take a page out of Muir lake's regulations. Never the less, its a beautiful lake, thanks for the advice guys.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livetoflyfish View Post
Fished Mitchell Saturday morning in the light rain. Very nice set-up. Caught a ton of fish. Biggest at 15 inch and probably 30 plus 4-6 inch. Not allot of in between fish, mostly this years stock. I'm guessing it gets harvested very hard. Saw people keeping lots of these little trout. There should be a size limit in these aerated lakes. There are lots of stocked systems that winter kill to harvest these little trout. It just makes me sick to see these trout leave an aerated lake. They could sure take a page out of Muir lake's regulations. Never the less, its a beautiful lake, thanks for the advice guys.
That being said this is a put and take lake. I personally don't like fishing Mitchelle after they've stocked it. The little ones although they are fun drive you nuts. You should have went across the road to Ironsides. Catch and release and some very, very nice rainbows.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:58 AM

They are a lot of fun. I switched over to a dry fly at the end and played with them for a bit. I'd been pointed towards ironside but I only had the morning to fish. Do you fish the clearwater very often
Old 06-19-2012, 07:17 AM

The clearwater will take up hours of your time for only a few fish thats if you manage one out of there. Ironside has larger fish but again alot harder to fool
Old 06-19-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livetoflyfish View Post
. There should be a size limit in these aerated lakes. There are lots of stocked systems that winter kill to harvest these little trout. It just makes me sick to see these trout leave an aerated lake. They could sure take a page out of Muir lake's regulations.
Phone or write a letter/email here to voice your thoughts. And I couldn't agree more. If it's worth aerating, it's worth putting a limited harvest/no harvest regulation on it and drop the stocking rates to a more appropriate level.

Herman, Steve
Fisheries Technician
Fish and Wildlife
Sustainable Resource Development
Box 1720
2nd fl Provincial Building
4919 - 51 Street
Rocky Mountain House, AB
T4T 1B3
Phone: 403 845-8213
Fax: 403 845-4750
E-mail: steve.herman@gov.ab.ca

Cheers.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:02 AM

Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to send an email. Sure would be nice to have another consistent trophy lake. Cheers