Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-20-2012, 05:05 PM

Default getting access

With all the negativity surrounding the issue of gaining access to land to hunt I thought that I should share a positive experience.

I am new to hunting and don't come from a hunting family so all aspects of the sport are new to me. I have been calling around asking for permission and to honest all the landowner I have spoken have been awesome. I spent 45 minutes on the phone last week with a lady that was actually apologetic that there were no whitetail on her property, but then gave me a history lesson on the deer population in the area and the contact information for all her neighbors. I just got off the phone with another fellow that directed me away from the areas that I was interested in getting on because he said the big bucks were in another area and that if I'd have been out there today I could have had my pick of a half a dozen in his sunflower field. He then gave me specific quarter sections to look at tomorrow and said that if I needed any help while I was out there to call him on his cell phone.

I guess the rest is up to me. I will need to be extra conscientious about my behavior and do my best to not do anything that will betray the goodwill expressed by the landowners.

I'm not saying that I don't believe the stories about landowners being jerks, I just wanted to share my positive experience.

Torch919
Old 11-20-2012, 05:13 PM

Default sweeeeeet!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by torch919 View Post
With all the negativity surrounding the issue of gaining access to land to hunt I thought that I should share a positive experience.

I am new to hunting and don't come from a hunting family so all aspects of the sport are new to me. I have been calling around asking for permission and to honest all the landowner I have spoken have been awesome. I spent 45 minutes on the phone last week with a lady that was actually apologetic that there were no whitetail on her property, but then gave me a history lesson on the deer population in the area and the contact information for all her neighbors. I just got off the phone with another fellow that directed me away from the areas that I was interested in getting on because he said the big bucks were in another area and that if I'd have been out there today I could have had my pick of a half a dozen in his sunflower field. He then gave me specific quarter sections to look at tomorrow and said that if I needed any help while I was out there to call him on his cell phone.

I guess the rest is up to me. I will need to be extra conscientious about my behavior and do my best to not do anything that will betray the goodwill expressed by the landowners.

I'm not saying that I don't believe the stories about landowners being jerks, I just wanted to share my positive experience.

Torch919
can I go with you???? lol thats a great story!!!!
Old 11-20-2012, 05:32 PM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=154438
Old 11-20-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Good to know I am not alone!
Old 11-20-2012, 06:58 PM

Torch,

Excellent post!

People often focus on and fear the negative. You've done the opposite.

Present yourself well, and doors will open.

There are countless Landowners out there willing to share their land and the bounty it provides. One of my favorite parts of hunting is hunting for access, which always leads to meeting great people.

Well done.