Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-07-2022, 11:30 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
You are of course free to do as you like, but this warning is for others reading this thread. Even without a brake, a 7STW should ideally not be shot without hearing protection. With a brake of any kind, you are playing with fire and your hearing shooting them unbraked. That design is less loud than others, but it is still louder than the same gun with no brake. Measure the decibels sometime, my bet is it is far above safe limits for hearing damage.
Thanks for this Dean.
It was more than 20 y ago when I shot this 7 STW, now I know better.
I do and will wear hearing protection using braked or not braked rifle when load developing. IMO prevents developing flinching. For hunting, I don't use a muzzle brake.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 07-07-2022, 11:34 PM

Noise I can deal with to an extent.
My gear getting blown off my bench from muzzle blast because a guy sets up next to me with a big braked magnum is quite another.
Cat
Old 07-08-2022, 09:46 AM

I was at the range last year and a guy was set up, down range from me.

Shooting a bolt action with a gigantic brake, that was triangle shaped, enormous vents off each side, that deflected muzzle blast backwards/sideways.

It looked like brakes I've seen on military fieldguns.

And my god the concussion from that thing!

Each shot there was huge blast from it, and the noise was increased way above normal firearm discharge.

Me: "What caliber is that thing?"

Answer: ".308..."

^ I agree completely that people are free to make their own choices.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 07-08-2022, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonical View Post
I was at the range last year and a guy was set up, down range from me.

Shooting a bolt action with a gigantic brake, that was triangle shaped, enormous vents off each side, that deflected muzzle blast backwards/sideways.

It looked like brakes I've seen on military fieldguns.

And my god the concussion from that thing!

Each shot there was huge blast from it, and the noise was increased way above normal firearm discharge.

Me: "What caliber is that thing?"

Answer: ".308..."

^ I agree completely that people are free to make their own choices.
Yeah thoughtfulness and respect goes both ways.
I make sure I am downwind d of guys when I am shooting g my black powder guns , or at least wait until they finish their shot sequence before I touch mine off and let them know
Some guys don't mind black powder smoke but some detest it !
Old 07-08-2022, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Noise I can deal with to an extent.
My gear getting blown off my bench from muzzle blast because a guy sets up next to me with a big braked magnum is quite another.
Cat
Our range rules are simple, it's the shooters responsibility to ensure that the ejected brass and muzzle blast don't interfere with other shooters. The shooter has to ensure that his ejected brass doesn't strike other shooters or their equipment and it's up to the shooter to ensure that the muzzle blast from his firearms don't knock things over on other benches.
Old 07-08-2022, 10:17 AM

I am all for respect and cooperation. I have however had guys sit down beside me and then complain about the bark and blast off of some of my big boomers with no brakes. Can just imagine what they would have said if I had a brake on it. You can imagine how receptive I was to their input when I was setup and shooting long before they got there.
Old 07-08-2022, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Our range rules are simple, it's the shooters responsibility to ensure that the ejected brass and muzzle blast don't interfere with other shooters. The shooter has to ensure that his ejected brass doesn't strike other shooters or their equipment and it's up to the shooter to ensure that the muzzle blast from his firearms don't knock things over on other benches.
We have the same rules , people need to be reminded of them at times
Cat
Old 07-08-2022, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I am all for respect and cooperation. I have however had guys sit down beside me and then complain about the bark and blast off of some of my big boomers with no brakes. Can just imagine what they would have said if I had a brake on it. You can imagine how receptive I was to their input when I was setup and shooting long before they got there.
No kidding. Never ceases to amaze me how some people think- or don't , in some cases!
Cat
Old 07-08-2022, 02:36 PM

^^ Ya that situation where the guy had that braked .308, only thing I did was ask what caliber it was.

That's it.

But you woulda had to be there to see it, and feel the blast from it. I was amazed when he said it was just a .308.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 07-08-2022, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonical View Post
^^ Ya that situation where the guy had that braked .308, only thing I did was ask what caliber it was.

That's it.

But you woulda had to be there to see it, and feel the blast from it. I was amazed when he said it was just a .308.
Yeah, I have seen some of those brakes that resemble something off a Shrrman tanks and they are LOUD!
Cat
Old 07-08-2022, 06:52 PM

Brakes are great for some things. I generally shoot alone so spotting trace or impacts is essential. My 300wm is tamed down enough to watch impacts on paper at 100yds. Down side is noise. I dont shoot at busy ranges though so i never even consider the guy beside me....cause there never is one unless he came with me.
Old 07-08-2022, 07:03 PM
Gone Hunting

There is a picture of 2 muzzle brakes from 300 Win Mag.
This on the right is a hearing keeler despite double ear muffs.
On the left is from Sako S20 I shot it a few times last year but
will have a better idea after a month or so.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY