Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-09-2022, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanpktaxiderm View Post
As I'm gonna be relocating from Edmonton to Slave lake this fall, I'm looking to get rid of my sedan and upgrade to a truck. Figure now is the time to sell the sedan as I can get more than I paid for it thanks to the used car market.

If yall had a price range of about 4000-5000 for a used half ton with 4x4, under 300k, what would you be looking for? seem to be a decent amount of early 2000s half tons on Kijiji/marketplace around that price range and under 300k.

Wont be looking for anything pretty (some rust and dents are expected in that price range), and I'm already prepped to do maintenance things like brakes/tires/belts/battery etc after buying in that price range. Not a huge fan of ford 5.4 engines have seen those crater way too often. Dodge I know ima be looking at ball joints/tie rods most likely.

What would you be looking for in that situation?

Also have any of y'all noticed folks stop replying as soon as you mention arranging to meet at your shop so your mech can do a pre-purchase inspection? Seems to weed out a lot of lemons lol.
Dont have time to read the whole thread so if already mentioned i apologize. If it were me I would get a reliable decent pavement princess truck and then find yourself a Suzuki Samurai. Set your Sammy up to flat tow and you are good to go. I've been running like this and its great.

Sammy is super easy to work on. cheap to run and fits anywhere a quad will except its got heat and a radio.

Anyways just my 2 cents.

Hilgy
Old 07-22-2022, 06:13 AM

So, did you manage to find a good truck in your budget and what is it.
Old 07-22-2022, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
So, did you manage to find a good truck in your budget and what is it.
found a 1994 ram 1500 5.2 with 225k on it paid 3250 for it. Put in 2750 of work- shocks, brakes, tires, flushed all fluids, changed a couple engine sensors to fix it running rich. fixed 4wd not working- was a vaccum line issue. Shes doing great now took her to cold lake and back on weekend.
Old 07-22-2022, 08:08 AM

Quote:
found a 1994 ram 1500 5.2 with 225k on it paid 3250 for it. Put in 2750 of work- shocks, brakes, tires, flushed all fluids, changed a couple engine sensors to fix it running rich. fixed 4wd not working- was a vaccum line issue. Shes doing great now took her to cold lake and back on weekend.
Sounds like a heck of a deal. Got to post some pictures for us. Glad it worked out so well.
Old 07-22-2022, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilgy View Post
Dont have time to read the whole thread so if already mentioned i apologize. If it were me I would get a reliable decent pavement princess truck and then find yourself a Suzuki Samurai. Set your Sammy up to flat tow and you are good to go. I've been running like this and its great.

Sammy is super easy to work on. cheap to run and fits anywhere a quad will except its got heat and a radio.
That's a dream setup!

Quote:
Sounds like a heck of a deal. Got to post some pictures for us. Glad it worked out so well.
X2, sounds like he did well!
Old 07-22-2022, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Here is the truck day I bought it before doing any work at all.

for its age surprisingly little rust, mainly around the fenders. Im in process of cutting out the rust and patching it in evenings after work atm, also removing old clear coat and touching up paint/reclear coating, one body panel at a time, will update as I do so. once all rust is taken care of Ill be doing box liner, rail caps and fender flares for a bit of added protection.

Old 07-22-2022, 09:25 AM

Left box side so far, fender had 2 6 inch long rust holes in it, cut out the rust, patched, bondo-ed, and painted. also was faded to primer along top half of box. so painted whole panel.

Old 07-22-2022, 09:34 AM

Same treatment on tailgate, old log0s were about 90% missing and lots of missing clearcoat/primer showing so touched it and and polished the chrome and plastic bits

Old 07-22-2022, 09:51 AM

For 1994 that was stored outside it is actually in pretty good shape. Will make a great hunting rig, don't have to worry about scratching the paint. My 1996 2500 Extended cab has about 260,000 Klms. Runs and looks like new. Gave it to my nephew when I bought the 2021, he loves it. At least twice a week someone tries to buy it off him. Still has the factory paint, no collisions, about 75% of the miles are not on pavement, no rust but it has been washedd regularly and stored in a heated garage.

Old 07-22-2022, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Hope it works out well for you.
Old 07-22-2022, 01:46 PM

Quote:

for its age surprisingly little rust, mainly around the fenders. Im in process of cutting out the rust and patching it in evenings after work atm, also removing old clear coat and touching up paint/reclear coating, one body panel at a time, will update as I do so. once all rust is taken care of Ill be doing box liner, rail caps and fender flares for a bit of added protection.

Looks great! Well done purchase. Truck is cleaning up good. My buddy had a 94 Dakota 4x4 with the 5.2L and it was a killer truck. Had over 300k when he sold it and the engine ran like a swiss watch.

I'm also jealous of the condition of your front fenders LOL. On my 98 Ram, they're really letting go and rusting out.