Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-04-2022, 02:42 PM

Default Gull Lake

Just need some other's info on the lake and area. WDF has a spot out there for sale that peaks an interest. Is there major algae bloom in the summer, enough water in the lake throughout the season, fishing ok or on a decline??? Seems to have what I need for a set up if I choose. Boating access is a major part.
Old 07-04-2022, 04:09 PM

Too many shallow spots through out for my likeing. Fishing has been good over the yrs and the boat launch is ok. But again it would be nice if they would put out a few marker boys (sp) so you could avoid the sudden shallow which could easily damage a prop or worse the leg of you motor.

That being said I am sure the locals are all well aware of any bad spots and would fill you in as to which area's to avoid. Plenty of people have places out there as well as those that leave their RV year round.
Old 07-07-2022, 06:57 PM

Default Gull Lake

The water level at Gull has been dropping for the last few years, unless they can figure out how to start pumping from the Blindman again it will keep dropping. Ive been going there for about 16 years and cant recall a major algae bloom but there may have been, its not common. As for the fishing, its gone downhill for the last few years, according to the test netting done in fall of 2020 there were few breeding size walleye or pike left. I cant speak to the whitefish numbers because i don't fish for them, perch seem to be rebounding a little.

There seem to be more small pike and walleye so that's a good sign.
Old 07-07-2022, 07:53 PM

If they're worried about introducing carp from pumping water in there, they should use some kind of grinder pump. Kill the carp, and feed the pike at the same time.
Old 07-08-2022, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
If they're worried about introducing carp from pumping water in there, they should use some kind of grinder pump. Kill the carp, and feed the pike at the same time.
as long as the tiny fry don't get through.
Old 07-09-2022, 11:05 AM
Banned

Water level is down, some residents say 24" in the last 7 years. Fishing is slower but still see some little jack and walleye. Shallow spots, yes, and you often see prop and motor damage from people flying across without paying attention.
Old 07-10-2022, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.crentist View Post
Water level is down, some residents say 24" in the last 7 years. Fishing is slower but still see some little jack and walleye. Shallow spots, yes, and you often see prop and motor damage from people flying across without paying attention.
I wonder if this year changes that? Up in my neck of the woods I've measured 11 inches of rain over the past 3 weeks. Looks like Red Deer area some most of this. Hoping to see a lot of lakes rise up again.
Old 07-10-2022, 09:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
I wonder if this year changes that? Up in my neck of the woods I've measured 11 inches of rain over the past 3 weeks. Looks like Red Deer area some most of this. Hoping to see a lot of lakes rise up again.
I was thinking the same. There has been a very slight rise, just according to some of the lines on the docks but most of the rain has gone into saturating the ground at this point. Once the ground has had enough we might see the level go up. I'm heading out today, maybe it will be noticeable
Old 07-10-2022, 09:50 AM

you would think the water level would be up, after all this rain .
pigeon lake water level is up about a foot from spring ice out,
Old 07-10-2022, 10:05 AM
Suspended User

Gull lake constantly loses water. The inlet creek from the north no longer flows in. It's been decades. Add in all the seasonal communities drawing water from the aquapher that's fed from the lake..... It's going to get shallower. The filters they tried for keeping the carp out worked, but we're not financially feasible
Old 07-13-2022, 02:44 PM

Thanks for all the input. Due to certain circumstances that came up I cannot take WDF offer on his lot.
Old 07-13-2022, 05:01 PM

If WDF stands for "Who Da Fisherman" his lot is on a different lake.
Old 07-13-2022, 06:11 PM

Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
If WDF stands for "Who Da Fisherman" his lot is on a different lake.
Yep, Buck Lake South
WDF