Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-04-2022, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedyarb View Post
Some other good lures are the Rapala Super Shadow Rap and the Haku. My brother caught two of his biggest with those.
Yes I have a Haku as well, and although I have caught fish on it, I don't use it as much as I'd like. The problem I have with it is that because of it's wide side to side swimming action it seems to immediately locate and collect the nearest weeds and then it doesn't swim at all. The Otus and Peto swim in a straight line so can be pulled between the weeds better, and even if they collect a bit of weed the tails still keep working nicely and you still have a chance of a bite. Early spring before the weed growth I am sure it would be lethal, or worked along a weed edge or flat with less growth, but I struggle right now to make it work for me with where I'm generally fishing.

Will certainly take a look at the Super Shadow Rap, thanks for the tip!
Old 07-04-2022, 12:12 PM

I am obviously not living right . Those are some nice fish! Where exactly was this taking place? You don’t need to name the lake just give the gps co ordinance.

I’m kidding of course!
Old 07-04-2022, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
I am obviously not living right . Those are some nice fish! Where exactly was this taking place? You don’t need to name the lake just give the gps co ordinance.

I’m kidding of course!
Hahaha. You could probably guess the lake without many hints required .

Really all I am doing is still following the spring basics as the water is still around 61F to 63F . Heading to warmer shallow bays on the north side of the lake, preferably near a river mouth or stream, and then fishing the slightly deeper weedy points on either side of the bay. (The shallow flats inside the bays aren't producing anymore and are locked tight with what I consider the wrong weeds). And lastly, casting until my arms fall off .

If I specifically want walleye I do things a little differently but I get enough Walleye as bycatch targeting Pike that I don't often bother .
Old 07-04-2022, 03:14 PM

How do you guys work the peto? I’ve used it before, and seemed pretty junky with a few hours of use and nothing to show for it. Was late august in all fairness. Admittedly I haven’t found the super shadow rap to be that productive either, although it did get me my first pike above 40” (40.5”) so I’ll cut it some slack there.

Thanks
Q
Old 07-04-2022, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quigley2000 View Post
How do you guys work the peto? I’ve used it before, and seemed pretty junky with a few hours of use and nothing to show for it. Was late august in all fairness. Admittedly I haven’t found the super shadow rap to be that productive either, although it did get me my first pike above 40” (40.5”) so I’ll cut it some slack there.

Thanks
Q
Honestly I just do a simple steady retrieve. I vary the speed on occasion but I don't do any jerking actions, or lift and drop rod or anything. I just cast out and start reeling with tip down. The Peto sinks slowly and appears to need some speed to get the tail moving nicely, so on the pause it's not like it falls face down quickly with good action in the tail. If I want something that behaves like that I will use a more generic style jig head with a paddle tail soft plastic on the back (E.g 360 searchbait)

The Peto feels like a lure that performs worse if you overthink it. Overall I'd say I prefer the Otus over the Peto. I generally do a steady retrieve on the Otus as well, but if I do decide to pause it, that curly tail still moves on the fall.
Old 07-04-2022, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZA Angler View Post
Yes I have a Haku as well, and although I have caught fish on it, I don't use it as much as I'd like. The problem I have with it is that because of it's wide side to side swimming action it seems to immediately locate and collect the nearest weeds and then it doesn't swim at all. The Otus and Peto swim in a straight line so can be pulled between the weeds better, and even if they collect a bit of weed the tails still keep working nicely and you still have a chance of a bite. Early spring before the weed growth I am sure it would be lethal, or worked along a weed edge or flat with less growth, but I struggle right now to make it work for me with where I'm generally fishing.

Will certainly take a look at the Super Shadow Rap, thanks for the tip!
Np. My brother uses the bigger Super Shadow Rap more but both sizes work. He likes to use it as a jerkbait for the most part.
Old 07-04-2022, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZA Angler View Post
Honestly I just do a simple steady retrieve. I vary the speed on occasion but I don't do any jerking actions, or lift and drop rod or anything. I just cast out and start reeling with tip down. The Peto sinks slowly and appears to need some speed to get the tail moving nicely, so on the pause it's not like it falls face down quickly with good action in the tail. If I want something that behaves like that I will use a more generic style jig head with a paddle tail soft plastic on the back (E.g 360 searchbait)

The Peto feels like a lure that performs worse if you overthink it. Overall I'd say I prefer the Otus over the Peto. I generally do a steady retrieve on the Otus as well, but if I do decide to pause it, that curly tail still moves on the fall.
x2
Old 07-04-2022, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quigley2000 View Post

Thanks
Q

Slow, steady retrieve. I’ve had better luck with the Peto than the Otus, but I know others that have had the opposite experience. The smaller version of the Peto is also pretty good.

I also like the Haku with a “twitch, pause, twitch” retrieve.

Yes, that’s an actual burbot tail sticking out beside the Peto.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 07-06-2022, 09:38 AM

Thanks for the tips, and I might have to put it back into the line up.
Q

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2022, 11:47 AM
Banned

Great pictures. Thanks for the thread