Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
I remember I posted at freeze-up about dangers of ice and how some people could say that if they fell in that family members could take solace in how "They died doing what they loved"....

Wonder if family members are taking solace in that now....

Reality is that drowning is a horrible death.

The worst part is it is preventable so easily....

This may make me sound cold hearted but in reality all I can think about is the needless pain and suffering the family and friends are suffering.

Children through ice is a tragedy. Adult through ice is stupidity.
I am left to wonder if your father or grand father went through the ice if you would call him stupid.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:10 PM

Who in the hell goes ice fishing in Southern Alberta in the middle of April? Makes me wonder if he may have had dimentia, or something else going on to make such an obviously bad decision.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:30 PM

How many people need to die for everyone to wake up about ice safety? I just posted last week about the ice conditions and as already said especially southern alberta ice conditons gotta be horrible..... I am surpirsed that southern alberta ice still exists to be honest. Sometimes you need to wonder what people are thinking when they go on the ice at this time of year so casually. Its not worth it to risk your life to get out that one last time ice fishing. Wait for ice off which will be in a few weeks...
Old 04-12-2012, 05:58 PM

thanks iliketrout for posting a working link

and my heart goes out the family of the elderly gentleman poor decision or not. i can especially feel for the family that lost their little girl having experienced something similar this summer with my son falling in a pond, luckily my wife is a hero and found him in time and was able to bring him back through cpr. If it wasn't for her i wouldn't have my little fishing buddy today. First aid training should be a priority for every parent. Water is a lot of fun but really needs to be respected frozen or not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg whitefish feb 2012 echo 2.jpg (50.3 KB, 159 views)
Old 04-12-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
I am left to wonder if your father or grand father went through the ice if you would call him stupid.
x2

--

sad story... ya really never know. he might have been in the exact same spot a couple days ago and it could have been fine, its that time of year. Thoughts are with his family.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers86 View Post
x2

--

sad story... ya really never know. he might have been in the exact same spot a couple days ago and it could have been fine, its that time of year. Thoughts are with his family.
Seriously?? Did you just say you never really know? Please explain to me how the odds were not stacked against this fellow by venturing out on a southern Alberta lake two weeks into April. WOW.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:55 PM

Very sad and nothing changes the fact that it is a terrible tragedy but as mentioned it's mid April of a very mild spring... The fact that the ice on Chain cant support someone is much less surprising to me then the fact someone would walk across it. I personally don't consider ice fishing a dangerous sport as long as "common sense" is used... Less dangerous then other winter activities like skiing or snowmobiling in my opinion. However, it's stories like this is why my wife and/or mom get so worried about me when I go and say "never go ice fishing by yourself".
Old 04-12-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Seriously?? Did you just say you never really know? Please explain to me how the odds were not stacked against this fellow by venturing out on a southern Alberta lake two weeks into April. WOW.
not sure if you only read the first 6 words of my post of not, but it seems pretty self explanitory to me... i'll explain.

you never really know.... IF THE ICE HAS CHANGED OVERNIGHT

not to mention the part i mentioned - 'its that time of year..'

its too bad that 1:3 posts on this thread are met with ignorance.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coulee View Post
Who in the hell goes ice fishing in Southern Alberta in the middle of April? Makes me wonder if he may have had dimentia, or something else going on to make such an obviously bad decision.
someone on this forum posted last saturday that there was still 14-15 inches of good ice 100-150 yard out, i drove down sunday , got there turned around and went home. i hope he wasn't a forum member going off of bad advice.
Closed Thread