Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-01-2010, 07:45 AM

I had my certificate in a week, really enjoyed the course. Learned a lot and it was nice to just go at my own pace.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:35 PM

I took the online course, it is great and offers flexible schedule that can fit everyone's requirements.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer55 View Post
I can see the place for taking the Alberta Hunter Education Course on-line because of work schedules, the location of where you can take the course and you can study at your own speed, but the idea of being able to take the test on-line is idiotic. First words out of my wife's mouth were "great, now they can cheat." Those were also my first thoughts also. When I accompanied my son to the course, when he was twelve, if I remember right they handed out three different tests so if you cheated you may have copied from a different test then the one you were writing. I know we want to get hunters out there but shouldn't we want well taught hunters out there.
What is the difference between people cheating online or people sitting in the classroom learning and then not following the rules when they leave. Alot of unethical hunters out there. All took the classroom exam. Just saying...

Old 02-01-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear View Post
I had my certificate in a week, really enjoyed the course. Learned a lot and it was nice to just go at my own pace.
I second that!
Old 02-02-2011, 11:03 AM

i just took my onlline hunters certification and passed online it was really good and a lot better than i thought it would be cant wait to arrive in alberta and get started!
Old 02-07-2011, 09:05 PM

Default Hunter training

My 16 year old son, who lives in Vancouver with his mom, really wants to come hunting with his dad. Can he take the Alberta CORE and firearm safety course or does he have to take the B.C equivalant and is it credible here in Alberta?
Anyone with some insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:17 AM

I took the online course as it was recommended by my PAL instructor. Unlike some of the scholars that precede me on this thread, I only got 93%. I did the whole thing on a Sunday, probably six or seven hours of material there.

Be Careful when completing the knowledge check after the fifth module, if you accidentally press 'next' before completing the check you will be advanced to a review exam. You will, however, not be able to start module six until the knowledge check is complete. It probably took me an hour to figure where I'd gone wrong.

It would be nice if the 'next' icon was linked to a key on the key board as some of the chapters are only 20 seconds long.

Great course though, I know that I will be a better hunter because of it.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:18 PM

Quick question. My 15 year old son is really chomping at the bit to go hunting however he lives with his mother in Vancouver. Now she has no desire to help him out with this and I'm wondering, beings as I'm in Alberta, what can I do to help him obtain his hunter training so he can come hunting with his old man??
Old 04-18-2011, 02:27 AM

Online courses will have the cheaters just like the boating licence and no on-hands teaching does not promote good learning. I would believe in the online course if it had long answer type questions where the person taking the exam would have to know his course material to write the answers. Then the test might have some merit.
We need to keep our hunting heritage alive but cannot settle for such impersonal education to achieve this task.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Online courses will have the cheaters just like the boating licence and no on-hands teaching does not promote good learning. I would believe in the online course if it had long answer type questions where the person taking the exam would have to know his course material to write the answers. Then the test might have some merit.
We need to keep our hunting heritage alive but cannot settle for such impersonal education to achieve this task.
I agree 100% Red Bullets. I am a manager with an oil company in Northern Ab and you see all sorts of on line certification for critical things like ground disturbance,etc,etc. If you were to know the truth about how some individuals obtain this type of certification you'd shake your head and be very afraid!! This is no different.
Doesn't change my need to get my son his CORE though.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:47 PM

I mOved here from Ontario where I took a hunter education course and was issued my outdoors card maybe 15 years ago or so.

When I came to Alberta about three years ago I applied for my win card at Canadian tire and was granted it based on the fact that I had my pntario outdoors card.

Did I do everything on the up and up? Is there any specific Alberta information that it would be worth taking this course online for?
Old 05-16-2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer55 View Post
I can see the place for taking the Alberta Hunter Education Course on-line because of work schedules, the location of where you can take the course and you can study at your own speed, but the idea of being able to take the test on-line is idiotic. First words out of my wife's mouth were "great, now they can cheat." Those were also my first thoughts also. When I accompanied my son to the course, when he was twelve, if I remember right they handed out three different tests so if you cheated you may have copied from a different test then the one you were writing. I know we want to get hunters out there but shouldn't we want well taught hunters out there.
in my opinion most of the test is common sense and if you have to cheat than maybe you shouldnt be hunting.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:48 PM

I am taking the course online, and it is outstanding! I am forecasting the exam will be tough, no matter where you take it.

PS. A quick note to those who are against technology... ok, stip down to your underwear, grab a rock and a stick and go hunting with that )))
Old 06-01-2011, 01:01 PM

This course will be great for my wife, taking the class would have been inconvenient with the baby.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:22 AM

I am going through it with another son it's been upgraded since skunkboy went through, I love it since we can pause it and talk about things in detail. The upgraded graphics will be huge when we go through the identification section.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:26 PM

my question maybe stupid but i still want to ask if there is someone cheating on it.

Is this online program and testing the only requirement to get PAL? people don't have to go to classroom anymore?
Old 06-27-2011, 07:38 PM

Anyone taking the PAL training still has to go thru the RCMP reference checks and all that jazz.

Finished the online hunter certification training, technologically speaking: it is awesome, never seen training materials so well put together. Passed the exam with 91%, ready to go hunting
Old 08-11-2011, 09:31 PM

got a question

I registered online with AHEIA and was about to buy the program for my stepson, then got to thinking do I have to register him and buy the program in his name for him to take the course or can I buy it and he take it and they send the certificate in his name...
Old 08-11-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav View Post
got a question

I registered online with AHEIA and was about to buy the program for my stepson, then got to thinking do I have to register him and buy the program in his name for him to take the course or can I buy it and he take it and they send the certificate in his name...
If I remember right you have to do it in his name. Better off to call AHEIA.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:57 PM

Thanks that is what I thought
Old 08-21-2011, 08:22 PM

Default i did the course.

was a great course, having never hunted or been on a hunt before, i learned alot, well worth it.

the book you can buy for 25$ too with WELL worth it ...goes into depth on alot of stuff the online portion doesn't go as indepth.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:21 PM

My kids just finished it. They did well, but the paper manual was helpful for sure.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-tard View Post
Well taking the test on-line kicks the crap out of people lying about having had a hunting licence in another province and getting a win card issued with full privilidges. At least on-line there is traceability.
I produced proof when I applied for my WIN Card.
I just thought I'd need it since I had to prove that I had the course or had hunted every year in BC.
Maybe that would be a handy solution?

Just make everyone produce last years hunting license or proof of having taken a course.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:12 AM

Passed it last night! Now awaiting my PAL. Should arrive in the mail any day!
Old 09-24-2011, 11:51 AM

Just took the Hunter Education Course online, did it over the course of two days. I thought it was a helpful course and it was worth the time I put into it. Overall I thought it was excellent.

Jim
Old 10-08-2011, 10:19 AM

I have done the course online and it was very fast and easy also giving you lots of time to do the exam.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:59 PM

I've taken it before. Worthwhile, but found the exam trivial more than a comprehension/ applicable level. It would of been great if the online modules had more animations/ simulations that enhances it, rather than direct from the AHEIA textbook.

Otherwise, besides my little nit picking, it was a worthwhile course and they do a good job of relaying the info.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setterman View Post
I have been an Alberta Conservation and Hunter Education for almost 10 years. The online course is a great substitute for those individuals who can not connect with instructors in there area but it is no substitute for an actual course. In order to run a course it must be a minimum of 20 hours where the students learn all sorts of different aspect to hunting and conservation. The hands on learning that takes place is not available from the online version. If i was a parent I would make my child attend a course. I have had many students with learning disabilites and I try and accomadate by providing readers and so forth. The real issue about cheating does not revolve around how the course is delivered but how many people just lie on their WIN applications and say they have taken the course. I am sure that AHEIA keeps records of who takes the course but do F&W ever check these records???? My experience with AHEIA has been great as they truly believe their motto of " Making wildlife and wildplace part of the value system of all Albertans".

I agree, the on line course is handy but the student will get more out of the program if they did it in class and had some practicle lessons. I took this course with my family when it first came about back in 1985 (i was 10) and it was great. If I recall it was once or twice a week in the evening for a month, then we went on a weekend campout where we built our own leantoo, started signal fires, made banick, and shot trap. It was a great experience compared to taking it in junior high school 4 years later.
My daughter is comming 12 and if i can get her in on a practicle-hands on class I will but if its not available we will go on line.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:33 PM

Default On Line Training

How old does a person/child have to be to take the on line training course? Thank You.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:01 PM

Finished my course online last night, very pleased with the whole online training and the manual they sent. I went through the modules over the span of four of five days and past well above the 80% requirements in the end, the whole timed thing got me antsy but I did it in under 35 minutes.

Do note, I did find an error! On one of my questions in the module Knowledge Check I was asked a question about the pound requirements for the shaft and broadhead and required me to select two of the four multiple choice answers and was only able to select 1 answer, not two. I did email about it.