Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-08-2019, 08:43 PM

Default Mcgregor

was out today walleye biting at dark ....picked up 3 rainbows in canal...talked to a local he figures any time now the whitefish run should be on ...rainbows we used cooked shrimp
Old 12-08-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenstown kid View Post
was out today walleye biting at dark ....picked up 3 rainbows in canal...talked to a local he figures any time now the whitefish run should be on ...rainbows we used cooked shrimp
Did he mean the run in the canal or along the dam? I thought the canal was closed to protect the whitefish spawning?

In the past I've always seen them start spawning at the dam in early to mid Nov depending on the ice.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:01 PM

ill be heading to the north end tomorrow morning.......was wondering where to go on the north end....was wondering is the area around the canal closed? ive never been there in the winter so....im gunna do some exploring i guess......snyone have updates?

tnx

happy
Old 12-08-2019, 09:06 PM

Saw a huge school of whites but they mostly ignored my wireworms. Only managed to catch 2. Got me a limit of trout though. You can fish in the canal but you can`t go past the red buoys.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:08 AM

The canal opens on December 1. When it is closed the red buoys don’t come into play. The canal closes from the lake to the large drop structure on the north side of the highway. 542. Closed Oct 1 to Nov 30.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:22 PM

went out today...landed 1 pike...just south of launch....still better than sitting at home.....

happy
Old 12-10-2019, 05:10 PM

out there on the 9th. Was right at the north side at dam. No whites all day on the camera. Got three pike, largest was a nice 12 pounds. Guy went through the ice right at shore after climbing down the rocks. Still a thin band of ice there. 6 inches out on the main lake.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:47 PM

hi freddy!!! i saw 2 shacks along the rocks...8 presume one of them was you!!!! i was wondering if the whites were there...but i guess not....lol...thanks for the update!!!
Old 12-11-2019, 01:28 PM

Default Fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddydog View Post
out there on the 9th. Was right at the north side at dam. No whites all day on the camera. Got three pike, largest was a nice 12 pounds. Guy went through the ice right at shore after climbing down the rocks. Still a thin band of ice there. 6 inches out on the main lake.
For sure care and caution,the rule of thumb on the ice---But you want to see a death wish--There was a vehicle this past sunday on eagle lake near Stratmore.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
For sure care and caution,the rule of thumb on the ice---But you want to see a death wish--There was a vehicle this past sunday on eagle lake near Stratmore.
the truly ironic thing of this story is that there's nothing in Eagle THAT exciting that you'd risk life and limb over it.......
Old 12-12-2019, 11:55 AM

Hi Happyfisher,

We were in the Eskimo insulated red tent. I have fished at that location at this time of year in the past and the whites have been thick. Last 3 years they must have been early because I haven't seen many at all.....

FD
Old 12-12-2019, 11:28 PM

I have a question for you whitefish fisherman. I can honestly say I haven't ever caught a lake white. I would like to try and tick that off the list this season. What depth would you say that whites like to hang out in. Not looking for spots or baits/lures to use. Just water depth. With McGregor being about an hour from my house. Might be a good place to start.

Thanks
Old 12-13-2019, 04:53 PM

i have caught the whitefish throughout the water column and i highly recommend using a flasher unit, it may not identify the species on the unit but it would definitely show what depth the "fish" are at.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the local angler View Post
i have caught the whitefish throughout the water column and i highly recommend using a flasher unit, it may not identify the species on the unit but it would definitely show what depth the "fish" are at.
Sounds good, thanks. I always use a sonar. Running a Helix 5. No problem finding fish there. Just never the right one(s).
Old 01-01-2020, 10:23 PM

Default mcgregor

very slow through xmas break ...never did get into the whites last year
Old 01-02-2020, 06:03 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

This is one of those lakes that will white cap during winter.....freaking wind!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-03-2020, 05:42 PM

was out today...north end...marked fish..saw 2 pike caught none...my usual fishing trip....

happy
Old 01-05-2020, 10:40 AM

Fished at the southern bridge this time. Caught two whites and a burb then entire day. Only saw three other marks but other than that it was super slow.
Old 01-05-2020, 05:51 PM

good for you!!! when i was out thinking i was wondering if i should hit the south side!!!

happy