Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-06-2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Little known fact. When you super slow cook with silver skin (fascia) on, it liquifies (rendering into fat essentially)
It's collagen breaking down into gelatin, so protein rather than fat. It gives a texture and richness to the sauce or stew that cannot be matched or imitated. I often add gelatin when I'm using store bought stock to give it the homemade feel. This same thing is part of what makes sauces in French and European cooking so alluring and silky. Reminds me I have some deer glace in the freezer waiting to use.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:06 AM

I usually cut it into chunks for stew and stirfry, as well as grind it, but thanks to the OP... I'll give this a try next year. Much of the shoulder meat always seems to have such a nice grain, but as you said, dang hard to do much with once deboned.

A shoulder shot is not my preferred shot, but as a still hunter I take what I can get, and sometimes taking out a wheel or two is the smart move. This year I shot my buck quartering towards me, tried to sneak it to the inside the near shoulder but ended up shattering the shoulder blade front to back, made a real mess of it. It was a shame, but when one is forced to thread the bullet through softball sized holes in the underbrush, things like that are bound to happen unfortunately. On the plus side, the deer died very quickly.

Last edited by Bushleague; 12-09-2019 at 08:16 AM.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrongside View Post
I owe my youngest son and Steve Rinella for introducing me to venison blade roasts. My kid was reading Rinella's book- Hunting, Butchering, and Cooking Wild Game- saw the recipe in Vol. 1, Pg 336, and informed me he really wanted to try it when he got his first deer. I was sceptical, but happy to oblige when he was finally successful. Still one of our favorite blade roast recipes.
Yep. After watching Rinella on You Tube I gave it a try and love it. He does a good one on cooking the shanks as well.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrongside View Post
After years of mostly grinding the front shoulders on deer, I too 'discovered' slow cooker blade roasts a couple years back. Completely changed how we process a deer.
The front shoulders on any animal make the best pot roast, stew meat or ground meat, far better tasting than the hinds for these cuts.

This year I cut the rear legs totally into jerky, the loins into chops and the shoulders into pot rsts, stew and sausage.

Fly me out some year and I'll show you how to do it.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:59 AM

I have always put the fronts right through the grinder. Might have to try a blade roast next year! Sounds like I’m missing out
Old 12-09-2019, 10:17 AM

Yep bone in front shoulder and bone in neck roast is one of our favorites. Slow cooked for 8 hours in the slow cooker and you pick the bones right out, i usually finish it off pulled pork style.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragor764 View Post
Yep bone in front shoulder and bone in neck roast is one of our favorites. Slow cooked for 8 hours in the slow cooker and you pick the bones right out, i usually finish it off pulled pork style.
With CWD, I would personally take a pass on a bone in neck roast.

LC
Old 12-09-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
No concerns of CWD up here yet.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
I was just about to say this as well, pretty risky.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCub View Post
The front shoulders on any animal make the best pot roast, stew meat or ground meat, far better tasting than the hinds for these cuts.

This year I cut the rear legs totally into jerky, the loins into chops and the shoulders into pot rsts, stew and sausage.

Fly me out some year and I'll show you how to do it.
You couldn't tell me that years ago? Because I was pretty slow figuring it out! <grin>

Is that the deal you have with Ted? He flys you out and guides??! Tell ya what- you find your way here one year, and I'll gladly host you for a elk or deer hunt...
Old 12-09-2019, 04:49 PM

I make the shoulders into pepperoni sticks.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:26 PM

Blade roast...very tasty.
Can make a good size roast. Leave the bone in, cut both ends off slightly will help open up the flavours from the bone.

The meat from lower(towards hoof)on the front leg goes to hamburger.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:13 PM

There are a few pockets of very tender meat on a critter that are not the loins.
The meat off the shoulder bladed and the meat in/ around the hip.
Hand or fist size. Keep these bits for stew for sure, shame to grind these.
And don’t forget the upper last 1-2” of the rib meat at the spine.

TBark