Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-03-2019, 02:25 PM

Default The Future Of Hunting In Alberta

It seems that the general public has very little awareness about some new regulations that were passed this year that will affect many of us greatly. The attached article outlines it nicely.

http://www.albertaoutdoorsmen.ca/arc...ts-apr-19.html

I have emailed AFGA, WSFAB, Local MLA and the author of the article. Something needs to change. It won’t take long to see draw wait times increase, general seasons disappear and populations decrease drastically. My main concern being fragile populations like goat and sheep, not to mention trophy draw zones like the 15 year wait for Yaha Tinda elk.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:43 PM

Fnaws is pushing real hard to put sheep on draw. There are a lot of members that support them.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:48 PM

Default This will spread

Cwd
Old 12-04-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
Cwd
It's already spreading
Old 12-04-2019, 10:18 AM

Though CWD is an issue, I’m more talking about the law that passed so quietly giving 114,000 (and climbing) more people full rights to hunt any species year round with no regulation.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram94 View Post
Though CWD is an issue, I’m more talking about the law that passed so quietly giving 114,000 (and climbing) more people full rights to hunt any species year round with no regulation.
Why didnt you just come out and say it in your post?? And for the record the guy in the article knows nothing on metis or metis harvesters as is clear from his tiny article.

This has been discussed in length many times already and the discussion never goes well.

I think someone posted that there were maybe 2000 harvesters max. Also on top of that its next to impossible for most metis to prove pre 1900 lineage to get harvesting rights.

It's clear you need to research things a bit more if you want an understanding of the topic thats based on facts.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3illy View Post
Why didnt you just come out and say it in your post?? And for the record the guy in the article knows nothing on metis or metis harvesters as is clear from his tiny article.

This has been discussed in length many times already and the discussion never goes well.

I think someone posted that there were maybe 2000 harvesters max. Also on top of that its next to impossible for most metis to prove pre 1900 lineage to get harvesting rights.

It's clear you need to research things a bit more if you want an understanding of the topic thats based on facts.

It sounds to me like you are a Métis Harvester. From what I’ve run into so far it’s not very difficult to be approved just based on the many people I know who didn’t identify as Métis until this law got passed. Alberta Fish and Wildlife also put out a statement saying they are concerned about it as there wasn’t any consultation with them or the public. This was passed so quietly between the NDP government and Métis Nation of Alberta. And that harvester number is increasing very quickly since this went through. You can turn a blind eye if you choose, but it is cause for concern In my opinion.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:

So tell us how are you enjoying your unlimited unregulated hunting?
Old 12-04-2019, 11:02 AM

Old 12-04-2019, 11:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
It sounds to me like you are a Métis Harvester. From what I’ve run into so far it’s not very difficult to be approved just based on the many people I know who didn’t identify as Métis until this law got passed. Alberta Fish and Wildlife also put out a statement saying they are concerned about it as there wasn’t any consultation with them or the public. This was passed so quietly between the NDP government and Métis Nation of Alberta. And that harvester number is increasing very quickly since this went through. You can turn a blind eye if you choose, but it is cause for concern In my opinion.
Oh look you know someone who's approved all of a sudden?? Oh ok then. That's how all the rumours start and that's how the last thread went as well with people claiming their friends got harvesting with no issues. The lineage is next to impossible to prove for most people who think they have some metis ancestry.

If you read the original thread on this exact topic you'll see I shared a lot of issues/concerns with metis harvesting. In fact I posted about metis harvesting negotiations that were happening but the admins here deleted it.

Then when things were passed people were upset they weren't informed when the reality was there were lots of notifications and the admins here deleted the posts.

Feel free to continue with whatever narrative works for you tho.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Oh look you know someone who's approved all of a sudden?? Oh ok then. That's how all the rumours start and that's how the last thread went as well with people claiming their friends got harvesting with no issues. The lineage is next to impossible to prove for most people who think they have some metis ancestry.

If you read the original thread on this exact topic you'll see I shared a lot of issues/concerns with metis harvesting. In fact I posted about metis harvesting negotiations that were happening but the admins here deleted it.

Then when things were passed people were upset they weren't informed when the reality was there were lots of notifications and the admins here deleted the posts.

Feel free to continue with whatever narrative works for you tho.

No I get it...I’d be pretty happy if the government passed a law that allowed me to win the lottery goat and sheep tags every year too. The reality for other sportsmen who have hunted here their entire lives as well and have put thousands of dollars into conservation through hunting opportunities is that it’s not a bright future for hunting. But yeah, go hammer a few protected grizzly bears!
Old 12-04-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Fnaws is pushing real hard to put sheep on draw. There are a lot of members that support them.
Fnaws (Foundation for North American Wild Sheep) ceased to exist about 10-15 years ago. By saying fnaws, are you actually talking about WSF or WSFA? If you are, do you have anything that you could share to back up that statement? A pamphlet, an article, anything from their website? Even a conversation with one of their directors? If so, I'd really like to see it. But unless, in the last year or so since I left the wsfa board of directors, they've done a hard 180 on their position regarding a sheep draw, I'm going to say that you're dead wrong. Judging by the fact that you're so out of touch that you're still referring to them as "fnaws", I'm thinking that you have no clue what you're talking about. But if I'm wrong, I'd sure like to know about it.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:44 PM

Default The Future Of Hunting In Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadave View Post
Fnaws (Foundation for North American Wild Sheep) ceased to exist about 10-15 years ago. By saying fnaws, are you actually talking about WSF or WSFA? If you are, do you have anything that you could share to back up that statement? A pamphlet, an article, anything from their website? Even a conversation with one of their directors? If so, I'd really like to see it. But unless, in the last year or so since I left the wsfa board of directors, they've done a hard 180 on their position regarding a sheep draw, I'm going to say that you're dead wrong. Judging by the fact that you're so out of touch that you're still referring to them as "fnaws", I'm thinking that you have no clue what you're talking about. But if I'm wrong, I'd sure like to know about it.

Dave, I had read something about it in 2019 resolutions but I believe that was from AFGA. Said something about wanting to reduce ram harvest numbers one of two ways, either a full curl stipulation or remove the general seasons. I would have to do some digging. If that helps...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2019, 01:48 PM

Make everything full curl. And make a 3 year moratorium if you kill a ram. Way too many guys killing rams every other year with most of them being sneakers outside of 400.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Dave, I had read something about it in 2019 resolutions but I believe that was from AFGA. Said something about wanting to reduce ram harvest numbers one of two ways, either a full curl stipulation or remove the general seasons. I would have to do some digging. If that helps...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This right here! I have a friend that sits in these meetings and he said the WSF is pushing for draw. Sorry about the fnaws. That's just what I still call it.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinefredCommander View Post
Make everything full curl. And make a 3 year moratorium if you kill a ram. Way too many guys killing rams every other year with most of them being sneakers outside of 400.
Do you know this for a fact? Ask yourself this, how many short sheep are killed in 400 every year. From what I'm told, if they put it on draw they are talking about no curl requirement if drawn. I guess that would take care of no short Rams being shot any more, but what would that do to ram aging issue that everyone one is worried about.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:15 AM

I agree with draw for sheep and have it on any ram, also if one harvests successfully have a 5-10 year wait. This would be ideal for limiting hunter harvest compared to now, and with it being any ram, one can finally start harvesting some of these old broomed rams that are short of 4/5. I believe it would be ideal for sheep populations and trophy quality in the province. If it went to full curl nobody will harvest. there might be a couple rams per wmu killed every 5 years. bighorns broom, full curl I don't believe is a good approach IMO.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:13 PM
Banned

Aren't there places in the states that have long multi year wait times after harvesting Rams? Could be an alright idea.
Old 12-09-2019, 04:24 PM

I would suggest that the number of "Metis Harvesters" would not change significantly. Those that could take advantage of the system are likely already hunting anyway.
Old 12-09-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcaribou View Post
I agree with draw for sheep and have it on any ram, also if one harvests successfully have a 5-10 year wait. This would be ideal for limiting hunter harvest compared to now, and with it being any ram, one can finally start harvesting some of these old broomed rams that are short of 4/5. I believe it would be ideal for sheep populations and trophy quality in the province. If it went to full curl nobody will harvest. there might be a couple rams per wmu killed every 5 years. bighorns broom, full curl I don't believe is a good approach IMO.
No need for a wait period if it goes to draw...you'll only draw once in your life if you are lucky.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
When this goes on draw you do realize that the Outfitters will then be allowed to hunt with clients south of highway 1 which right now there are no outfitter tag allocations south of highway 1 as this is for residents only. It also won't be good for sheep health as there could be a risk of disease and trophy quality wouldn't likely increase as most people would more then likely shoot the first ram they seen as there wouldn't be no curl requirement. More sheep means more chance of disease. Right now as it stands I'm going to say that 90% of the Rams that are harvested each year are guys that have harvested they're first ram as most guys that have harvested a ram are only going to harvest a ram that is larger than they're last ram. All that is being done is taking away resident opportunity to hunt sheep and make more opportunities for nonresident as Outfitters will gain more tags with the south country open to more allocations if it were to go on a draw. So if your all about taking away resident opportunity and punishing the guys who take the time to really get to know how to hunt sheep then yea put it in draw. The WSF is all for a draw as a couple of the board members are guides and Outfitters. Go on there website and look up the board members. It tells a bit about themselves under their names.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:15 PM

We should model our system after Saskatchewan....
Old 12-09-2019, 06:26 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
That is part of the problem right there....regs should apply to all who wish to partake in hunting and fishing that being said can't be any other way or our resources will dwindle significantly.

We as outdoors people still have to govern ourselves even if the regs state we can.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-09-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
That is part of the problem right there....regs should apply to all who wish to partake in hunting and fishing that being said can't be any other way or our resources will dwindle significantly.

We as outdoors people still have to govern ourselves even if the regs state we can.

I agree 100%

The other option is try to appeal what is going on. I have sent emails to my local MLA as well as Mr. Jason Nixon, the new Environment Minister. The more people who do the same, the better chance we have.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:35 PM

Rimbey.RockyMountainhouse.Sundre@assembly.ab.ca

This is his email.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
When this goes on draw you do realize that the Outfitters will then be allowed to hunt with clients south of highway 1 which right now there are no outfitter tag allocations south of highway 1 as this is for residents only. It also won't be good for sheep health as there could be a risk of disease and trophy quality wouldn't likely increase as most people would more then likely shoot the first ram they seen as there wouldn't be no curl requirement. More sheep means more chance of disease. Right now as it stands I'm going to say that 90% of the Rams that are harvested each year are guys that have harvested they're first ram as most guys that have harvested a ram are only going to harvest a ram that is larger than they're last ram. All that is being done is taking away resident opportunity to hunt sheep and make more opportunities for nonresident as Outfitters will gain more tags with the south country open to more allocations if it were to go on a draw. So if your all about taking away resident opportunity and punishing the guys who take the time to really get to know how to hunt sheep then yea put it in draw. The WSF is all for a draw as a couple of the board members are guides and Outfitters. Go on there website and look up the board members. It tells a bit about themselves under their names.
so how come outfitters would be able to hunt south of hwy 1 if it went on draw? I don’t totally agree one would shoot the first ram they would see, some would yes, but i think a lot wouldent because one would only draw a tag after a long period of time more than likely so i would think they would want to hold out for a respectable ram. I know many guys that have killed 3-4 rams in their life and havent always killed a bigger ram then their last, it was because it was legal and the oppurtunity was there. I would think if sheep went on draw, outfitters would have to do something to make it somewhat fair like taking half of their permits? Theres always possibilty for disease for sure with larger populations. Increase ewe harvest? Just thinking out loud.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
so how come outfitters would be able to hunt south of hwy 1 if it went on draw? I don’t totally agree one would shoot the first ram they would see, some would yes, but i think a lot wouldent because one would only draw a tag after a long period of time more than likely so i would think they would want to hold out for a respectable ram. I know many guys that have killed 3-4 rams in their life and havent always killed a bigger ram then their last, it was because it was legal and the oppurtunity was there. I would think if sheep went on draw, outfitters would have to do something to make it somewhat fair like taking half of their permits? Theres always possibilty for disease for sure with larger populations. Increase ewe harvest? Just thinking out loud.
You do hear yourself right? When you have to wait for a once in a lifetime tag your going to make sure you kill a Ram, so more then likely it will be a what you guys call an immature Ram.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:48 PM

I don't think there's much of a future for hunting in Alberta look what's happening in Wainwright now with the First Nations and metis hunting. Wait till the Elk Island opens up to them and national parks are allready it's a klusterfuk, how is anyone supposed to manage what is being shot or taken out of the system just ain't going to work just a matter of time.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
I don't think there's much of a future for hunting in Alberta look what's happening in Wainwright now with the First Nations and metis hunting. Wait till the Elk Island opens up to them and national parks are allready it's a klusterfuk, how is anyone supposed to manage what is being shot or taken out of the system just ain't going to work just a matter of time.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Agree, It doesn't matter how much conservation is attempted if a certain large group of people are allowed to hunt uncontrolled and abuse that. There won't be any left for the future. Enjoy the memories.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Outfitters are already operating south of Hwy.1 They're guiding resident sheep hunters. Lots of them.

I'm curious why you say that a draw would result in non-resident allocations being opened up for south of Hwy 1. That's the first of heard of that. Can you elaborate?

There's two directors on the WSFA website that mention ties to sheep outfitting. One comes from an outfitting family, and his only involvement is to help guide a hunt or two every year. The other is an actual outfitter, but I know for a fact that he has no sheep allocations, so he would not benefit from a sheep draw. With that said, again, I'm curious why you keep saying that WSFA is pushing for a draw. Do you have anything to substantiate that? Or is it just your own theory?