Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newlyretired View Post
Sorry comrade but Bull, my wage and benefits is because of me and no one else. In the 40plus years of working the only time I was unemployed was because of a railroad union going on strike. I quickly learned that it does not matter how hard you work, how smart you are the extra effort you put in, if you below to a union that means **** all period.

Have never worked for a union since and have now retired to enjoy my fruits of labour.
I have worked union and non union in both the private and public sector including o&g. If you don’t think the labour movement in this country affects the wages of everyone in it then you know nothing about history. And you can save the comrade bs pal.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:14 PM

With costs going up for municipalities (see police funding), expect to see increased property taxes. It's early, but I haven't seen my life or wallet improve under the new government. This wouldn't be particularly annoying had the party not branded themselves as white knights swooping in to save the average Albertan.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
With costs going up for municipalities (see police funding), expect to see increased property taxes. It's early, but I haven't seen my life or wallet improve under the new government. This wouldn't be particularly annoying had the party not branded themselves as white knights swooping in to save the average Albertan.
What do you expect? Rural crime is through the roof and they need more police. Who in your mind should pay for it? Or continue as is and let people rob everyone blind?
Old 12-06-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
What do you expect? Rural crime is through the roof and they need more police. Who in your mind should pay for it? Or continue as is and let people rob everyone blind?
Hire your own security guards if you feel so threatened. Why should the rest of us have to pay for your fear?
Old 12-06-2019, 08:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbadger View Post
Hire your own security guards if you feel so threatened. Why should the rest of us have to pay for your fear?
For the same reason the rest of us pay for your medical care too.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RO CC View Post
For the same reason the rest of us pay for your medical care too.
What would that reason be?

I'm healthy. You don't pay for my medical care.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:52 PM

divide and conquer . the oldest trick in the book and it is working .
Old 12-08-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:

Healthy now. One day you won’t be. Regardless. We all pay for roads and not everyone drives. We all pay for education yet not everyone has children. We all pay to stock lakes yet not everyone fishes. Sometimes need to look at the greater picture.
Old 12-08-2019, 01:56 PM

Alberta is like the Roman Empire. Governments of the day built coliseums for the rich/royalty while common folk suffered. Today government subsidizes the wealthy pro sports teams with tax money for wealthy people to watch NHL in brand new arenas like the one about to be built in Calgary. While health care and senior care is reduced. The rich can buy their way out of waiting for medical procedures and so can a NHL hockey player. The ordinary folk can curl up and die as far as any government is concerned. We have not changed that much have we. Hoping the UPC does not subsidize pro sports venues even though I love sports.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you are going to get sick and you are going to die. So is everyone you know. And you and everyone you know will need medical care at some point in their lives.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Healthy now. One day you won’t be. Regardless. We all pay for roads and not everyone drives. We all pay for education yet not everyone has children. We all pay to stock lakes yet not everyone fishes. Sometimes need to look at the greater picture.
Me thinks badger is hibernating 24/7. He must live in another country as he has obviously never gone to our schools, used our roads, etc. What outstanding self absorbtion. Reminds me of the leader of Quebec where he couldn't care less about anyone else in the rest of Canada.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:55 PM

Quote:
What "greater picture" do you refer to?
Old 12-08-2019, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you are going to get sick and you are going to die. So is everyone you know. And you and everyone you know will need medical care at some point in their lives.
Hey, never realized that stuff! Thanks!!!

Why do you care? Why do you want others to pay for your poor life choices, or decisions that cause you and yours, injury?
Old 12-09-2019, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Hey, never realized that stuff! Thanks!!!

Why do you care? Why do you want others to pay for your poor life choices, or decisions that cause you and yours, injury?
Your posts give me a headache.
Your either just looking to stir stuff up or incredibly ignorant.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:04 PM

CBC: Alberta to expand use of private health-care facilities, weeks after announcing public sector cuts are coming
Old 12-12-2019, 10:12 PM

This is an interesting one:

CBC: Kenney's approval ratings drop in wake of cuts, controversy

Quote:
Jason Kenney's approval ratings have cratered by 15 points over the last three months, according to a new poll.

Conducted by DART, the poll shows the Alberta premier fell from 55 per cent approval in September to 40 per cent approval in December.

In a release, DART calls it an "unprecedented plummet."

That plummet, however, is offset by an approval poll conducted by Angus Reid, which shows a far less dramatic drop of six percentage points in the same time frame.
In DART's numbers, only 13 per cent of respondents said they strongly approved of Kenney, with his highest support among those over the age of 55 (24 per cent) and making over $100,000 per year (17 per cent).

Twenty-six per cent of respondents moderately approved of Kenney.

The Alberta premier is least popular with those between the ages of 18 and 34. Only six per cent of respondents in that demographic strongly approve of the premier, with fully 50 per cent strongly disapproving.

Angus Reid's numbers show 54 per cent of respondents approved of the Alberta premier, down from Angus Reid's results in September, which placed his rating at 60 per cent.

That includes 29 per cent who strongly approve, and 25 per cent who moderately approve of Kenney.

Again, his support showed wide generational differences, with 46 per cent of those 55 and older strongly approving, a number that dropped to 10 per cent of those between 18 and 34.

Income also factored in, with strong approval highest among those making more than $100,000 (37 per cent) and strong disapproval highest among those making less than $50,000 (55 per cent).

Dave Korzinski with Angus Reid says they fielded their questions while Kenney was in Ottawa. He says these numbers can be event sensitive and the road trip might have played a factor in the discrepancies.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Province cancels funding contracts to Parent Link programs

More of the same. Many most vulnerable parents/kids, as well as “normal” average families, benefitted greatly from the programs these places have to offer. The place and staff in Peace River are really great. Hopefully, they will figure something out.
I'm hoping that they get funding secured somehow. If I'm reading this correctly it seems as though they will have to reapply for funding with the province but changes such as a reduction in services may happen. As a single dad who used parent link plenty in the last 3 years this would be a huge blow to the community if we lost our parent link center. For the truly low income families it would affect them even more, one less support for them. At one point do they UPC realize that creating efficiencies is not as simple as threatening to pull funding for social services?
I hear it may very well be that Parents Link may be no more, at least in this area. The budget for the programs where they are drawing their funds from, along with some other agencies, was slashed in more than half. From what I understand, that budget was a mil plus and went down to below 500k. I am not sure what other agencies share and compete for this money, and I am not sure if Parents Link is considered the most essential one.
Old 02-29-2020, 01:32 PM

To follow up on the local Parents Link:

There you go. ****ing sucks.
Old 02-29-2020, 01:39 PM

Also this:

SAIT to eliminate 230 positions following Alberta budget cuts

Quote:
The Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT) is laying off 150 staff and not filling another 80 vacancies in the wake of the UCP government’s post-secondary budget cuts.

In an emailed statement, SAIT spokesperson Chris Gerritsen said the decision was “hard for our institution.”

“The difficult decision was made to eliminate a total of 230 positions, beginning next week through the end of May, which includes 80 vacancies that won’t be replaced.”

The cuts will be across several departments, including administration, management and academic divisions, but didn’t say specifically which academic programs might be impacted.

While the University of Calgary didn’t announce any job cuts immediately following Thursday’s budget, it didn’t rule out more could be on the way.

In November, the university announced the elimination of 250 jobs following the province’s interim budget tabled in October.
Old 02-29-2020, 03:10 PM

For everyone wishing to complain, I am sure all these organizations accept donations.
Old 02-29-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:
For everyone wishing to complain, I am sure all these organizations accept donations.
Ya maybe from all the businesses and corporations that operate in the area that benefited from the lower tax rates. Might be a good start. We just lost our parent link Center. I would donate if I could but insurance, upcoming school bussing fees, groceries, and everything else is going up my faster than inflation.

I am a single dad who used parent link because it was a cost effective way for my kid to spend time and learn and play. Now the parents coming after me don’t have that support. It was a support for young parents who needed it the most and this governments priorities are obviously different.
Old 02-29-2020, 03:30 PM

The further governments are removed from their constituents, the easier it is to make 'fluff' cuts. Of course more costs are downloaded to municipalities and town councils. Then those councillors have to make the tough decisions affecting their neighbours and the person beside them in the grocery store check-out. Or - just increase property taxes and only have to hide for a month each year.

Our town gives subsidies to people who want studded bicycle tires! (max $50/tire).
Old 02-29-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic View Post
Ya maybe from all the businesses and corporations that operate in the area that benefited from the lower tax rates. Might be a good start. We just lost our parent link Center. I would donate if I could but insurance, upcoming school bussing fees, groceries, and everything else is going up my faster than inflation.

I am a single dad who used parent link because it was a cost effective way for my kid to spend time and learn and play. Now the parents coming after me don’t have that support. It was a support for young parents who needed it the most and this governments priorities are obviously different.
Sorry to hear that. You may have looked into this already but maybe the subsidy program can help. No need to comment as it’s a personal matter. Just trying to help.
https://www.childcaresubsidy.gov.ab....freshKW_Region
Old 02-29-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Zero sympathy-Was a Chef Instructor at SAIT for 4 years.

Most of my work was filling in for other Chef Instructors who had reached the limit of their Student contact hours
So, they were paid to come in, drink coffee and go to the Rec Facility for a Swim and a Steam. Just sitting at their desk with no Student Contact allowed.
Ridiculous waste. Of a staff of 40ish Chef Instructors- about 25% were in this position every month.

Pretty hard to instill work ethic into your Students when you are incentified to sit on your assets

Last edited by omega50; 02-29-2020 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:27 PM

Default Geez

And the $500,000,000 cut to train all the small town fire fighters? Nursing staff cuts? Working folk pensions. Welcome to the dark ages.
And I voted this party in because Kenny looked me in the face before the election and said “we wont mess with pensions!” Just another wolf in sheeps clothing.
Old 02-29-2020, 11:38 PM

Good keep up the cuts... running in deficits is not smart. Cut services and lower taxes let us pay for our own crap
Old 03-01-2020, 07:05 AM

I find it funny that at a time when canadians are running a 160% debt to income ratio and ~48% of canadians are $200 or less from insolvency every month, those same people seem to know how the finances of the province/country should be handled. Clearly they don't understand what debt, deficit or interest is.

Kenney was handed a bag of flaming dog turds being made worse by a hostile federal government. Anyone expecting the UCP to fix everything in 1 year, or even 1 term, and somehow increase spending is living in the twilight zone.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dth_ View Post
I find it funny that at a time when canadians are running a 160% debt to income ratio and ~48% of canadians are $200 or less from insolvency every month, those same people seem to know how the finances of the province/country should be handled. Clearly they don't understand what debt, deficit or interest is.

Kenney was handed a bag of flaming dog turds being made worse by a hostile federal government. Anyone expecting the UCP to fix everything in 1 year, or even 1 term, and somehow increase spending is living in the twilight zone.
There is truth in this post

I am not overly impressed with Kenny but realize he has a tough situation to deal with and cuts are needed because the money is just not there. I am not big on his desperate attempts at improving oil & gas through tax breaks when the issue is market and lack of ability to efficiently reach world markets. Focus on getting infrastructure to world markets or even push for legislation that Canada only use domestic oil I would completely behind though. Needs more effort on promoting industry beyond oil & gas so Alberta can be more stable during times of low oil prices

Don’t mind sucking it up and dealing with cut backs do to lean times rather then go deeper in debt. But in return I want to see a reasonable economic plan for the present market conditions and federal politics. All for efforts to improve the oil & gas industry but it cannot be the only card being played. Odds are oil & gas industry won’t see any real improvement for a few years at the minimum

Kenny got caught with his pants down when the Cons lost the federal election and he plans likely fell apart. The only thing I am questioning is if he has the ability to adapt to the situation and make the best of it or is he going to keep beating Ottawa with the same stick trying to oppose his will. I don’t think he will get a lot of results with the later option do to the opposition from multiple parties

Time will tell if Kenny can adapt without federal support but so far I don’t know if he is the right guy to work through this mess
Old 03-01-2020, 10:06 AM

Default Amazing

Amazing what hes done, job loss, pipeline failures, project cancellations, cut healthcare, cut school programs, taking hard earned pensions to invest as he sees fit while leaving the grossly over paid MLA pensions safe and sound.
Nice work Kenny.
May as well have the NDP back.
Old 03-01-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
Amazing what hes done, job loss, pipeline failures, project cancellations, cut healthcare, cut school programs, taking hard earned pensions to invest as he sees fit while leaving the grossly over paid MLA pensions safe and sound.
Nice work Kenny.
May as well have the NDP back.
Cuts are Kenny the other issues are more to do with federal. I am not impressed with Kenny but people need to realize oil & gas related issues we face are do to federal opposition and markets. On oil & gas related issues it would not matter who the premier of Alberta was they would be getting no where

NDP would have not made the same cuts but would have increased debt accomplishing nothing

I don’t think Kenny is doing a great job but I don’t think it would matter what party was in power in Alberta they would be failing if focusing on oil & gas industry. Not going to get anywhere when you are facing major federal opposition
Closed Thread