Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-03-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
You said you were coyote hunting, since when do you need a hunting license or hunters Ed to hunt coyotes on private property? Half the farmers in the province probably don’t have hunters Ed and shoot coyotes all the time. You got played big time.
You don’t. You don’t need Fish and Wildlife’s permission to have a gun on private property. He should have been told to get lost.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-03-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
You said you were coyote hunting, since when do you need a hunting license or hunters Ed to hunt coyotes on private property? Half the farmers in the province probably don’t have hunters Ed and shoot coyotes all the time. You got played big time.
Which is why I said it was odd.

Have always had positive encounters with them, this just seemed like he was really reaching for something.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:06 PM

Default Nice enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk eater View Post
That’s pretty low if you ask me. It’s these sort of interactions that IMO make their job harder. I would bet a lot of officers would look at that situation and say ok here’s your get out of jail free card. Give a verbal warning and explain the situation as to help not hinder relations between hunter and officer. I sure hope he was respectful to you and your wife and you left on a good note.
He was nice enough to not take the deer, he said he could of confiscated the deer.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter_spec View Post
I had a weird encounter this year as well. I didn’t know I was not allowed to transport my wife’s deer without filling the little piece of paper attached to the regulation. Short story, me and my wife were hunting together, she filled her tag in the morning, we decided to stay for the evening to try to fill the supplemental. She was on one end of the field, I was at the other end, maybe a kilometre away, I had to pick her up at the other end. The F&W officer waited for me at the truck. Came out of nowhere . He gave me a ticket because I didn’t fill up that little piece of paper, even though we were hunting together on the same land, he said I had to get this filled out by her to be able to transport the deer. Did you guys knew that rule? First time for me, ticket wasn’t much, just 30$ but man, I feel like I should read those freaking regs over and over like a lawyer. They are out for blood in my area.
Whenever i carry someones game home either they do not have enough room in the truck or whatever, i fill out bill of lading and take a pic of the person with said animal.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
But you used your truck to go hunting, right?

Truck hunting.
Lol, I've read some dumb s*** today but this takes the cake.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAK Precision View Post
Lol, I've read some dumb s*** today but this takes the cake.
yep!
Old 12-03-2019, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
This is a new initiative to make sure people are truly eligible to hunt...too many people have lied throughout the years.

IF CAUGHT you can have every set of antlers/horns you collected while ineligible confiscated and be charged on each count.

In short... people better complete their training. If you took it many years ago and didn’t have a number associated with your course certificate you can contact AHEIA to have one issued. I had to do this.

LC
I'm only 35 and I took mine when I was 14. A couple years ago I purchased a guided pig hunt in Hawaii and the state needed my certificate. I couldn't locate it, contacted fish and wildlife, they sent me to aheia. Aheia couldn't find it, supposedly it was lost when paper went digital. Long story short I retook the course as a 34 year old. The guide didn't refund me but they did allow me to hold the hunt for another time.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Lots of guys on here defending truck hunting. Really sad.
Did you read what he wrote --- here I will help

After an unsuccessful evening coyote hunt I make way back to my truck to find a F&W officer hiding around the corner.

His truck as parked and he walked back to it and F&W was waiting at his parked truck for him to come back.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonmark View Post
I'm only 35 and I took mine when I was 14. A couple years ago I purchased a guided pig hunt in Hawaii and the state needed my certificate. I couldn't locate it, contacted fish and wildlife, they sent me to aheia. Aheia couldn't find it, supposedly it was lost when paper went digital. Long story short I retook the course as a 34 year old. The guide didn't refund me but they did allow me to hold the hunt for another time.
This story reminds me of my boat license. Same story when I inquired about that with transport Canada office. Basically told me tough luck if you lost it they had gone digital and had not transferred all the records over. Makes wonder why registries does not handle these sort of documents. They’ve never misplaced my drivers license records.

Seems like these gov’t agencies take the time to make courses, tests, and even set fine amounts but forget to keep records on who is licensed and who is not. Don’t seem right.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoaltender View Post
Which is why I said it was odd.

Have always had positive encounters with them, this just seemed like he was really reaching for something.
These unusual encounters resulting in the issuance of dumb tickets may be an act of desperation fearing job cuts. They may think tickets will justify their existence. I met a hunter who had a trail cam in the canopy of his truck and it had pictures of a wildlife officer that had opened the back window of the canopy. He was nowhere near the truck when this occurred.
Another hunter got a ticket because he was accused of not affixing the tag immediately after downing the animal. I asked if the officer was present when he shot the animal: He said the officer was no where near and that the officer was waiting at his vehicle about 2 miles from the kill site. I asked if the tag was attached when he encountered the officer : he said it was. He said he got the ticket because two hunters told the officer they did not see a tag on the animal when they were dragging it out.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:48 PM

BorealBUck; thanks for the great idea of taking a picture, we've always done the bill of lading, but picture is a great idea.

This post got me thinking, when we used to (knees, hands and legs gone now) goose / duck hunt we'd carry all the birds back to camp in one truck, maybe decoys etc. in another, or SUV, it would seem we should have done the bill of lading, even if we just a few minutes ahead or behind. Never gave it a second thought, but will do it different now.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
I had a weird encounter this year as well. I didn’t know I was not allowed to transport my wife’s deer without filling the little piece of paper attached to the regulation. Short story, me and my wife were hunting together, she filled her tag in the morning, we decided to stay for the evening to try to fill the supplemental. She was on one end of the field, I was at the other end, maybe a kilometre away, I had to pick her up at the other end. The F&W officer waited for me at the truck. Came out of nowhere . He gave me a ticket because I didn’t fill up that little piece of paper, even though we were hunting together on the same land, he said I had to get this filled out by her to be able to transport the deer. Did you guys knew that rule? First time for me, ticket wasn’t much, just 30$ but man, I feel like I should read those freaking regs over and over like a lawyer. They are out for blood in my area.
bs charge
Old 12-03-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Yes, Truck hunting
Perhaps the spot he went to was not on a bus route or close to an LRT station. You have to get to spots somehow --- I drive my truck hours away from home out to fields, park go hunting and come back to my truck to go back home. How do you do it? Bicycle?
Old 12-03-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gifted Intuitive View Post
These unusual encounters resulting in the issuance of dumb tickets may be an act of desperation fearing job cuts. They may think tickets will justify their existence. I met a hunter who had a trail cam in the canopy of his truck and it had pictures of a wildlife officer that had opened the back window of the canopy. He was nowhere near the truck when this occurred.
Another hunter got a ticket because he was accused of not affixing the tag immediately after downing the animal. I asked if the officer was present when he shot the animal: He said the officer was no where near and that the officer was waiting at his vehicle about 2 miles from the kill site. I asked if the tag was attached when he encountered the officer : he said it was. He said he got the ticket because two hunters told the officer they did not see a tag on the animal when they were dragging it out.
I’ve never had a ticket myself, as I try to keep it as clean as I can. The whole encounter had me feelin like maybe I did do something wrong when I was confident I didn’t.

One of the most frustrating parts was earlier he drove the field I was hunting. Ruining the hunt in the first place.

Last edited by Skoaltender; 12-03-2019 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Yes,

Truck hunting
Go back under your bridge...( ie Moms basement )

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend

Last edited by teledogs; 12-03-2019 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:53 PM

Knock it off with the trolling.

Quote:
Lots of guys on here defending truck hunting.

Really sad.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageValleyOutdoors View Post
How much of a pain in the @ss was it to get a number issued? I was down at the AHEIA office a couple weeks ago getting a deer scored and the subject came up... i took the course in ‘93 when i was 13, don’t have the certificate or a number or anything. Dave said i would likely have to retake the course in order to get a number issued.
I’d rather avoid that, so if there’s a way to just get a number issued.
I had my old card and certificate, sent them pictures as proof and a couple weeks later I had a new card and certificate with a number. If you know your instructor name they can sometimes resolve the issue, I knew my instructor he was my high school teacher.

LC
Old 12-03-2019, 10:18 PM
Banned

Do you even have to have a hunting license to shoot coyotes on private property? I don’t think so. The same with beavers. I don’t think that you even need one for rabbits, do you? How about pigeons in the barn?

Last edited by HunterDave; 12-03-2019 at 10:27 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Yes.

Im a true x-man.

Too damn funny.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:32 PM

Pretty sure you don't have to proof up a hunters ed anything unless you're relatively new to hunting, i.e. first time lucense purchaser. Do they not ask if you've ever had a hunting license in Alberta prior within some sort of time frame? Or, is it not a system qualifier when acquiring a WIN card or hunting license for the first time?

I'd have told him to pound sand and prove I'm guilty of something. Anddd, don't even think of touching my truck w/o reasonable grounds to do so. Youve got 45 seconds to charge me or kiss my big fat arse. Your choice officer.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
They teach that in hunters Ed... I thought everyone knew that
Old 12-03-2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Do you even have to have a hunting license to shoot coyotes on private property? I don’t think so. The same with beavers. I don’t think that you even need one for rabbits, do you? How about pigeons in the barn?
Even bears...no age limit.

LC
Old 12-03-2019, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
bs charge
So what’s to say that if someone is transporting someone else’s animal
It was taken legally or not?

Here’s a “what if” What if you find a tagged deer in the ditch that someone dragged to the ditch then went for their truck ....and you take it. How is the LEO to know that it’s in your possession legally?
Old 12-03-2019, 10:51 PM

double post

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 12-03-2019 at 10:56 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Pretty sure you don't have to proof up a hunters ed anything unless you're relatively new to hunting, i.e. first time lucense purchaser. Do they not ask if you've ever had a hunting license in Alberta prior within some sort of time frame? Or, is it not a system qualifier when acquiring a WIN card or hunting license for the first time?

I'd have told him to pound sand and prove I'm guilty of something. Anddd, don't even think of touching my truck w/o reasonable grounds to do so. Youve got 45 seconds to charge me or kiss my big fat arse. Your choice officer.
Read the charges listed, yes they ask...and if you lie and get caught you get charged like the ones below.

Specifically: ineligible person apply/hold licenses

LC
Old 12-03-2019, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
So what’s to say that if someone is transporting someone else’s animal
It was taken legally or not?

Here’s a “what if” What if you find a tagged deer in the ditch that someone dragged to the ditch then went for their truck ....and you take it. How is the LEO to know that it’s in your possession legally?
Do not "what if" this. This was a husband and wife hunting the same field for crying out loud. He was not transporting anything. His wife fully intended to be in the truck for transport home. They were separated momentarily......bill of lading in that situation? Come on...

Can I get out of the truck and go to the washroom at a gas station without giving my partner a bill of lading?
Old 12-03-2019, 11:03 PM

Ahh I didn’t read the part about her being in the same field...it’s been a long day
Old 12-03-2019, 11:06 PM

What are the rules for the grandfathering ? I had a hunting licence in Ontario then moved here in 03, I applied for my alberta win in 04 and they checked me out and gave it to me with no issues. I have applied for and drawn and purchased OTC tags every season since. I have never taken the course in alberta. I never have it any thought until reading this thread but I sure don't want the charges/ hassle. If I need the course I guess is better get on it. No idea what my Ontario #was.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
What are the rules for the grandfathering ? I had a hunting licence in Ontario then moved here in 03, I applied for my alberta win in 04 and they checked me out and gave it to me with no issues. I have applied for and drawn and purchased OTC tags every season since. I have never taken the course in alberta. I never have it any thought until reading this thread but I sure don't want the charges/ hassle. If I need the course I guess is better get on it
You are fine. You do not need an AB hunter training course http://www.albertaregulations.ca/hun...encecosts.html
Old 12-03-2019, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Do not "what if" this. This was a husband and wife hunting the same field for crying out loud. He was not transporting anything. His wife fully intended to be in the truck for transport home. They were separated momentarily......bill of lading in that situation? Come on...

Can I get out of the truck and go to the washroom at a gas station without giving my partner a bill of lading?
Agree it’s BS

LC