Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-06-2019, 10:47 AM

Default GMC power windows

I have a 03 gmc slt. Power windows are pretty lame. Have to help them up.Does anyone know is this a track issue or are the motors just week? Seems if I clean the windows there a little better. Is it worth while to remove the door panels and lube up all the tracks? Or is it a waste of time as the motors are just lame?
Thanks.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten, View Post
I have a 03 gmc slt. Power windows are pretty lame. Have to help them up.Does anyone know is this a track issue or are the motors just week? Seems if I clean the windows there a little better. Is it worth while to remove the door panels and lube up all the tracks? Or is it a waste of time as the motors are just lame?
Thanks.
Their motors are terrible.
I tried replacing with a cheaper aftermarket set, but the plastic gears didn't last a year.
Likely that you track is fine. It's so sloppy that lube is irrelevant.
You can change just the motor. GM will tell you to change the whole regulator assembly but it's just a money grab.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:52 AM

There is a window track mechanism that relies on wire cable and pulleys...and those wires get frayed and slow down and eventually stop working the windows.

I swapped the part out in about a half hour or so after watching a youtube video on it. You might want to open the door up and take a look to see if the wires working the pulleys are coming apart. It was about 30 bucks or so on rockauto
Old 12-06-2019, 12:02 PM

Before you spend a bunch of money and work try a first step. Roll window all the way down. Take a rag soaked with silicone lube and thoroughly clean the wiper and rubber seals that the window slides up and down through right at the bottom of the window opening. Now heavily lube that same area with silicone. I will bet good money that your window goes up and down almost like new. I know I have fixed quite a number of "worn out" window motors this way. Let us know how it works out.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:26 PM

I have an ‘04 SLT, no PW issues, 400k km, still love it.

TBark
Old 12-07-2019, 12:23 AM

Likely not the motors if they are still working but the cable and pulley mechanisms. After 16 years of use they need some TLC. It's a complicated system that has to be "timed" properly, cleaned and well lubed. The cables can get frayed or piled up. If you haven't had much experience inside doors and such, don't start with these. With ample time and care though they can be restored to reliable working condition if you have the patience.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:23 AM

Pretty easy to check if it's the track, roller/cable assembly, or motor.
Remove the inner door skin and roll the window so it's 3/4 open. Loosen the two clamps at the bottom which hold the window and grabbing it firmly, slide the window up and down with your hands. If it's really tough to move, it's the track.

If that's not it, place the window back in the lower support (don't tighten the screws) and roll your window all the way up. Tape with 2 or 3 strips of good masking tape or duct tape from half way up the window, up and over the door and down the other side half way. This will hold up the window while you lower the regulator assembly. Grab the wheels and give them a spin. Check the cables and overall movement of the regulator assembly. If it needs attention, give it some TLC. If it seems fine, it's your motor.
If it is the motor, don't buy aftermarket.
Let us know how it goes.
Old 12-08-2019, 01:55 PM

I’ve since sprayed with silicone and it has helped a little. I’ll have to remove the door card and see. I know there’s some screws in the bottom storage pocket and a bolt behind the door lock. Anything else to remove to get it off? Thanks