Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-06-2019, 09:31 PM

Default 4x4 vs AWD?

I find myself in the market for a vehicle, I pull a 14 foot naden. I am old school and always used 4x4...are the awd as good? My 98 standard explorer is getting past its prime.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:38 PM

Imo 4x4
Old 12-06-2019, 09:57 PM

4x4 much better for the 11 months that we do not have it engaged because the roads are plowed.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-06-2019, 10:11 PM

awd is excellent for icy roads, 4x4 is better for off road.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:53 PM

AWD for the wife's vehicle, 4x4 for me. Hers is for icy roads, mine is for offroad.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
awd is excellent for icy roads, 4x4 is better for off road.
this ^

Think of AWD as a traction assist.

For towing or off-road you need 4x4
Old 12-07-2019, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
this ^

Think of AWD as a traction assist.

For towing or off-road you need 4x4
Why would you need 4X4 for towing?
Old 12-07-2019, 07:12 AM

With a 4x4 vehicle, the front and rear driveshafts can be locked together, and in most cases. locking differentials are an option. This provides more traction where required, but handling in 4x4 suffers, and operating in 4x4 for extended periods on roads accelerates the wear on components. As well, fuel mileage also suffers when operating in 4x4 on winter roads, compared to AWD. With AWD, the axles are open, and in many cases you can't lock the front and rear driveshafts, so you get much less traction, but handling is much better, and there is less strain on the driveline. The person that buys a 4x4 vehicle, and leaves it in 4x4 all winter, for normal driving, would be far better off with AWD. The person that only uses 4x4 now and then, when they need maximum traction, will likely do better with a 4x4.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:44 AM

You don't have to decide, you get both in a new truck now. My 2019 silverado is either AUTO (AWD) or you can lock it in 4x4. The AUTO works quite well for icy roads, better than I thought it would. I find myself not using 4x4 at all on road. My last truck stayed in 4x4 all winter.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottik9 View Post
I find myself in the market for a vehicle, I pull a 14 foot naden. I am old school and always used 4x4...are the awd as good? My 98 standard explorer is getting past its prime.
Depends if your lifestyle requires a SUV style or a pick-up? Pros and cons to each.

My buddy has a Toyota Rav4 and with a standard 6 cylinder engine (non turbo) he pulls his 17' Bayliner, fiberglass. with it. If I hadn't been there to witness it, I would have called BS.

I was blown away at the power of his Rav4.

We towed it from Calgary to Lake Newell, there are no mountains and some smaller hills....It worked....

I will say; it will tow a 14' Naden.

Good luck,

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren32 View Post
You don't have to decide, you get both in a new truck now. My 2019 silverado is either AUTO (AWD) or you can lock it in 4x4. The AUTO works quite well for icy roads, better than I thought it would. I find myself not using 4x4 at all on road. My last truck stayed in 4x4 all winter.
There are multiple types of AWD, some do drive all four wheels all the time, and some drive two wheels until the system senses the driving wheels slipping, and then engages the other two wheels. When you drive your 4x4 in auto, you are engaging the front hubs/driveshafts, and the system then sends power to the front wheels if the rear wheels start slipping. This is better than driving a 4x4 in 4x4 all winter, on paved roads as some people do, but it does drive more parts than necessary, and does use more fuel. And as I discovered with my first GMC with auto 4x4, when going down steep hills in winter, the front end can slide without engaging the front wheels, in tight turns. After discovering this towing my snowmobile on the trailer, on some hilly roads I started shifting into 4x4 , rather than auto on those roads.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
There are multiple types of AWD, some do drive all four wheels all the time, and some drive two wheels until the system senses the driving wheels slipping, and then engages the other two wheels. When you drive your 4x4 in auto, you are engaging the front hubs/driveshafts, and the system then sends power to the front wheels if the rear wheels start slipping. This is better than driving a 4x4 in 4x4 all winter, on paved roads as some people do, but it does drive more parts than necessary, and does use more fuel. And as I discovered with my first GMC with auto 4x4, when going down steep hills in winter, the front end can slide without engaging the front wheels, in tight turns. After discovering this towing my snowmobile on the trailer, on some hilly roads I started shifting into 4x4 , rather than auto on those roads.
Between Elk's first post and this, about as good and clear a description of the pros and cons a you could ask for without getting too technical.
Old 12-07-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
I assume for poor boat launches or low water levels where you need to back in a ways off the ramp. I have also on a few occasions needed to use 4x4 to either back my fifth wheel into a certain spot or get out of one or an area after heavy rains. Depend on where you fish and camp.
Old 12-07-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
I assume for poor boat launches or low water levels where you need to back in a ways off the ramp. I have also on a few occasions needed to use 4x4 to either back my fifth wheel into a certain spot or get out of one or an area after heavy rains. Depend on where you fish and camp.
Yep. Steep muddy launches, icy hills, mountains etc.

I didn’t mean towing a trailer down a dry highway, should have specified.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:04 PM
Banned

Depends on how often you go off-road (IMO). I’m an occasional off-roader...nothing really serious, but we like to wilderness camp.
Had ladder frame 4x4 previously and thought SUV’s were only good for handling the speedbumps at Safeway.
This summer someone ran a stop sign and totalled my Trailblazer. My mechanic had a super deal on a lo-mileage Acura MDX so I bought it figuring I could flip it in the spring.
I’ll be keeping it!
It has the provision for locking all four wheels in 1st and 2nd gear up to 20 km/h which is good enough for any of the mild off-roading we do, and in day to day driving the handling, acceleration (that V-Tech engine hauls) and comfort is way ahead of any truck I’ve driven.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:19 PM

Default Yoter

I believe that Rav4s have not seen V6 engines for some years now.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:28 PM

AWD suck .... Because they are mostly front wheel drive and the rear will come on automatically . like a dozen times a day in summer !
It works like an electric clutch like in my wife's SUV AWD. You can lock it in 4X4 but can not take it out of Auto AWD.
The clutch last about 20 - 50,000 km then you have to pay $2000 min to have it replaced. I know 3 close friends that had theirs replaced ,one was under warrantee
You know when they start failing when it feel like its shifting hard . ours felt like we were getting rear ended at times.

I will never buy an AWD again .

Last edited by -JR-; 12-07-2019 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
AWD suck .... Because they are mostly front wheel drive and the rear will come on automatically . like a dozen times a day !
It works threw a electric clutch like in my wifes AWD. You can lock it in 4X4 but can not take it out of Auto AWD.
The clutch last about 50,000 km then you have to pay $2000 min to have it replaced.
I had 100,000km on my AWD SUV, and zero issues, a friend has over 200,000 on his AWD Rav4, and no issues so far.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
I had 100,000km on my AWD SUV, and zero issues, a friend has over 200,000 on his AWD Rav4, and no issues so far.
All 4 of ours were Hyundai. Junk junk junk !

Buddy of mine works for BMW. They see it also . But I am not sure at what millage

Just goggle the fault of the SUV you are about to buy to be on the safe side .
Old 12-07-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
AWD suck .... Because they are mostly front wheel drive and the rear will come on automatically . like a dozen times a day in summer !
It works like an electric clutch like in my wife's SUV AWD. You can lock it in 4X4 but can not take it out of Auto AWD.
The clutch last about 20 - 50,000 km then you have to pay $2000 min to have it replaced. I know 3 close friends that had theirs replaced ,one was under warrantee
You know when they start failing when it feel like its shifting hard . ours felt like we were getting rear ended at times.

That is not true of all AWD vehicles. The Ford Edge is considered AWD and it has a gear driven transfer case they refer to as a PTU. Power Transfer Unit. There is no engaging and disengaging of it. At 265,000 km so far.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:

Buddy of mine works for BMW. They see it also . But I am not sure at what millage

Mine was a 2014 Sante Fe XL, zero issues when I sold it with 100,000km on it.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:

all wrong lol tons of all wheel drives out there with well over 200000 on them
Old 12-07-2019, 05:05 PM

Default Hyundai

Quote:

I think you are talking about the viscous coupler in the hyundai sante fe.
I have a 2010 and the viscous coupler went at 46,000 km.
Went again at 90,000km.
To diagnose if it is the coupler just take of the wire on the coupler.
If no noise then it is the coupler and you can just leave it disconnected if you wish and drive in front wheel drive only.
Hyundai changed the coupler make in 2013 and you can buy the 2013 onward part in Calgary from a normal parts dealer for about $600. They bought surplus couplers from hyundai canada.Then anybody can change it in about an hour.
For my 2010 I bought a part from china from eBay for $575.
It came damaged and eBay graciously gave me a full refund in about a week.
I put some jb weld in the cracked coupler, installed it in about an hour and it works perfectly so far.
At some Hyundai dealers they want $1900 for the part and $500 labor for my 2010 hyundai.
There is a dealer in Edmonton who will do it for about $1700.
I would never buy another Hyundai, they are bastards to deal with!
I had a chev all wheel drive van and put on 300,000 hard Kim's with no engine or power train problems whatsoever.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:

It sounds like your brand (Hyundai) was the issue - that shouldn't deter you from purchasing another AWD vehicle. They are excellent choices for safety in most road conditions and for 95% of the driving most people do.

I have never had an issue with any Audi or BMW (all were AWD models). They seem to be very solid to me.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren32 View Post
This is exactly worth the price of a Dennali or SLT trim level - worth every penny.

Had this in my last GMC truck, my new f150 does not. For the occasional times in the city when I need 4x4 this really sucks. I hate having to use 4x4 when it's slippery, just tortures the driveline.

My GMC maybe got locked into 4x4 maybe a dozen times in the years I owned it - the rest of the time it was in Auto.

Quite frankly, when I bought the f150 - I didn't even think to look. Quite disappointing actually - when on slick ice and need to make a left turn or enter into/between traffic you need it - you can turn it off, but it seems you need to go straight for another 60 feet before it kicks back out, never mind binding and hopping through a Tim Hortons drive through - drives me nuts.

My next truck will have AWD/4x4 combo. Not sure is Ford offers that.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:11 PM
Banned

My CR-V is AWD and with it sporting 22" wheels, unstoppable
Old 12-07-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
It sounds like your brand (Hyundai) was the issue - that shouldn't deter you from purchasing another AWD vehicle. They are excellent choices for safety in most road conditions and for 95% of the driving most people do.

I have never had an issue with any Audi or BMW (all were AWD models). They seem to be very solid to me.
Pretty impressed with the Honda AWD in my Ridgeline. Has a number of Ice, sand and dirt settings but even leaving it in the normal setting the truck is very stable on ice etc. Never thought I would buy a unibody pickup truck but I’d buy another Ridgeline any day of the week.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottik9 View Post
When the wife was looking for a new SUV we went with a Cherokee over the RAV4 and Escape. Was a compromise but we trusted the reputation of Jeeps 4x4 system. I have had no issues whatsoever and despite loving my Fords I am very happy and confident in this Cherokee. I have 2 F150s with 4x4 and they get use but very randomly do I ever need to engage the front wheels. Generally I do it in the city at intersections just to get out as fast as I can to avoid some idiot traveling at a perpendicular direction that blows the light. I also do this to avoid icing up the intersections by spinning the tires.

For a 14’ boat I would probably go with an awd if I had no use for a truck and only visited improved boat launches. If not I’d get a small truck like a Ranger Tacoma or Colorado or a Jeep Cherokee.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
I have 2 F150s with 4x4 and they get use but very randomly do I ever need to engage the front wheels. Generally I do it in the city at intersections just to get out as fast as I can to avoid some idiot traveling at a perpendicular direction that blows the light. I also do this to avoid icing up the intersections by spinning the tires.
Exactly how/when I use my 4x4 in the city. Sure do miss the Auto AWD of the GMC though, left in Auto and never had to think about that stuff. And when in the sticks and mud where you need the 4x4, a simple click over and off I went.

It is, one of the only things I think isn't as good compared to the GMC/Chevs .......

AND, the damned Ford cup holders - always spilling and bumping my coffee all over the place. Silly design with the over sized pockets and ribbed bottom. Drives me nuts.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Exactly how/when I use my 4x4 in the city. Sure do miss the Auto AWD of the GMC though, left in Auto and never had to think about that stuff. And when in the sticks and mud where you need the 4x4, a simple click over and off I went.

It is, one of the only things I think isn't as good compared to the GMC/Chevs .......

AND, the damned Ford cup holders - always spilling and bumping my coffee all over the place. Silly design with the over sized pockets and ribbed bottom. Drives me nuts.
Hmm don’t notice the cup holder issue in my 01 or 18 f150. I don’t mind having to switch into and out of 4x4. Its shift on the fly and usually I’m already stopped at a light. Changing back into 2wd I don’t worry about being stopped and usually do it at under 20mph so no issue. I like knowing when I am in 4x4 and when I’m not. Never was a fan of the auto. My GMC for work doesn’t have auto as it’s a mechanical transfer case. I do enjoy the auto locking hubs which my last f250 didn’t have. Too many darn options on trucks these days! Makes things confusing....