Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teledogs View Post
Considering the air of this thread I believe Ranger was being sarcastic.
I know he was ,but over the years a few guys have mentioned that no matter what if it had to be dropped they would use this shot.

JD
Old 12-09-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Always heard a Texas heart shot referred to shooting a critter in the arse...
I inadvertently did one 30 yrs ago. Didn't know what it was called until 20 yrs later lol. Young and dumb and took a shot at a Mulie buck slowly running away in some real deep snow on a cut line. I was aiming for his head/neck. He did the Mulie bounce as I shot and got one right beside the you know what. I must say it was a very quick death and thankfully didn't turn into a wounded and lost deer.

Only spine shot a young bull moose once. Didn't plan that nice broad side shot to happen that way but it did. I was real close so he didn't suffer long but I still remember the bawling and flailing.

Bullet placement and being smart about the shot is key. Live, learn and get better hopefully.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
I know he was ,but over the years a few guys have mentioned that no matter what if it had to be dropped they would use this shot.

JD
A departing animal moving directly away presents a very difficult shot.
And yes attempting such a shot brings into question the very important topic of ethics for sure. Another important consideration is meat loss. If ones hits left, right or below the tiny target, the sphincter, the result is extensive damage to some of the best meat on the animal.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
Next time you get your prostate checked and as puts his finger up there ,just imagine a 338 bullet entering that spot and you will never ever take a Texas heart shot.
JD
Now, that was pretty graphic.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RO CC View Post
Now, that was pretty graphic.
Graphic things usually stick into peoples mind, could have worded it differently .Hurting an animal or destroying maybe a big part of his body is not a sport or hunting. It's very inhumane and there's enough out there that hate us and do not understand us,so no use acting like were just out to shoot and have no feelings about the animals we really do love just as much as them.

I think most hunters love animals more then non hunters. I hurt a young bull 35 years ago a by hitting a branch and I couldn't sleep or even eat and it took 3 days of walking grids and lord knows how many miles ,but I finished what I started and got him.I even sold the rifle for peanuts I was so upset and didn't hunt the following year and swore to never ever do it again, so far so good.

If all the odds are in my favor I go for it, if there's even a slight chance it will go wrong I back off. Practice this till the day you die and you will never question why you hunt.

Last edited by JD848; 12-09-2019 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:22 PM
Banned

I meant the finger up the tush part.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
In this case,The late season buck was broardside,of course unaware of my presence.The 6.5 creedmoor,with lots of practice,made this spine shot possible.It was less than 100m.It dropped on the spot.As with most spine shots a finisher was required.Area 316 With permission for access across private land lots of deer.
Why pizz around with a spine shot....which I doubt was the intent. Two or three inches lower and that deer would run for miles. And there is no blood trail from spine shots that miss destroying the spine, AND, if you’re successful in paralyzing a deer, you get the pleasure of walking up to a live animal and having to shoot it in the head while it’s helpless. Not really a “best approach” concept. In fact a “worst approach” concept.

Learn to shoot!!!!

My buck this year was 100 yd broadside, 6.5X55, offhand shot, blew the bottom of his heart off, ( which means I shot 3inches lower than expected) stone cold dead in 10yards, a blood trail you could follow in the dim light of the last minutes of legal light. Deer was dead before he even knew it. And zero meat damage, other than the heart. But still not ideal!!!!
Old 12-10-2019, 05:57 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Always heard a Texas heart shot referred to shooting a critter in the arse...
Yup and run right through the front end....7 STW 140gr Barnes X....100 yards...piled up a beauty mule as it was making its departure....to my freezer

Dam that rifle kicked....it was sold....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-10-2019, 06:51 AM

This one is still going but I it seems like the OP has tucked tail and exited stage left
Old 12-10-2019, 07:40 AM
Shooting Xs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
This one is still going but I it seems like the OP has tucked tail and exited stage left
Probably didn't have the spine for it.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:46 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLab View Post
Or just sitting back and laughing at some of the responses.....

Old 12-10-2019, 11:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Or just sitting back and laughing at some of the responses.....
That’s what trolls do.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLab View Post
that was funny

Oh he’ll slink back around.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
That’s what trolls do.
Caught....hook,line and sinker.....

Old 12-10-2019, 12:51 PM

Default unintentional hits !!

Reading some of the responses reminded me of a funny story of my own. I took my friends wife hunting and she finally got a chance at what was to be her first WT buck. She leaned against a tree and folded the buck like it had been struck by lightning. When we got over to it I was surprised to see a perfect brain shot. I said nice shot, she looked at me kind of funny and said she was aiming behind the shoulder.. It was not the bucks lucky day but she was pretty excited.
I checked her rifle later on paper and it was shooting perfect 1.5 inch high at a 100yds. I tease her about that shot every year.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:06 PM

Reading all the posts in this thread is kind of like an ameture production of " Days of our lives " as brought to you by the National AO inquirer, tune in tomorrow for the next breath taking installment

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lattery1 View Post
Reading some of the responses reminded me of a funny story of my own. I took my friends wife hunting and she finally got a chance at what was to be her first WT buck. She leaned against a tree and folded the buck like it had been struck by lightning. When we got over to it I was surprised to see a perfect brain shot. I said nice shot, she looked at me kind of funny and said she was aiming behind the shoulder.. It was not the bucks lucky day but she was pretty excited.
I checked her rifle later on paper and it was shooting perfect 1.5 inch high at a 100yds. I tease her about that shot every year.
Honestly, that sounds like a memorable first experience!
Old 12-17-2019, 11:05 AM

Default Bullet Placement

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Ya almost shot over.......held a little high for 100m shot but that calibre lobs them in
Hunting 316 on the edge of a extremely high bank,if the deer goes over,its a couple of hours work--A split second decision to make a spine shot.The response was predictable as a sunday morning hang over.Not to be concerned brother,just playing out the rope.Now comeing up some real fun----
Old 12-17-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Who shoots for the spine?
coyote man what's the problem
Old 12-17-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lattery1 View Post
This story made me laugh way harder than I expected!
Old 12-17-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Hunting 316 on the edge of a extremely high bank,if the deer goes over,its a couple of hours work--A split second decision to make a spine shot.The response was predictable as a sunday morning hang over.Not to be concerned brother,just playing out the rope.Now comeing up some real fun----
Took you sometime to come up with that story
Old 12-17-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonmark View Post
I noticed that. Did anyone notice there isn't an impact of this follow up shot?
Maybe that was where the Texas Heart shot went? Don't want to waste any more meat.
Old 12-17-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Old 12-18-2019, 11:23 AM

Doesn't the 6.5 go a little high at 100m or less?
The cartridge is supposed to be 1.8-2.1 inches high at 100m and zero'd at 200 according to the boxes of ammunition I've got. I've yet to take anything with mine though, as I just purchased it about a month ago, I got it for the spring Barren ground caribou hunt and for elk and deer to fill my parents freezer in BC.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:49 PM

Default Dead bucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Took you sometime to come up with that story
Two dead bucks and a doe ---in the freeze---I invite your membership in the twoonie club--All in the spirit of good natured fun and ribbing.Going to give you a chance to outshoot the old newfie sealer.Let me know if you are in.
Old 12-18-2019, 10:02 PM

P.S. I feel like this gif is good for most of your posts.
P.P.S. I have an elk, some deer and some moose in the freezer. Doesn’t say anything about my hunting and shooting methods, or my abilities in general.
Old 12-20-2019, 07:15 PM

Default Spine shot

Quote:
Who shoots for the spine?
When a deer is on the edge of a steep hill .the head not visible--He has to drop---As spine shot will do it.See twoonie club 10 hits on a twoonie at 100 m 2 in one twoonie---Matter of fact 13of 13 for a spine shot--It was no accident.
Old 12-20-2019, 07:21 PM

Default 6.5 cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueNorth View Post
Doesn't the 6.5 go a little high at 100m or less?
The cartridge is supposed to be 1.8-2.1 inches high at 100m and zero'd at 200 according to the boxes of ammunition I've got. I've yet to take anything with mine though, as I just purchased it about a month ago, I got it for the spring Barren ground caribou hunt and for elk and deer to fill my parents freezer in BC.
The 6.5 Cm will hit were you set it--Out to several hundred yards--You have the ideal open country rifle. The 143 eld-x bullet will get the job done,Range time as always neccessary to bring out the best in this caliber
Old 12-20-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
When a deer is on the edge of a steep hill .the head not visible--He has to drop---As spine shot will do it.See twoonie club 10 hits on a twoonie at 100 m 2 in one twoonie---Matter of fact 13of 13 for a spine shot--It was no accident.
You should get your own You Tube Channel ...... it sounds like your proficiency and marksmanship would lend itself to teaching hunters and other shooters how to improve their skills.

Shooting off handed 13 for 13 in a hunting situation, with that kind of deadly accuracy is a testament to your elite level skills - and those need to be shared with the world.
Old 12-20-2019, 07:27 PM

Default Spine shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
That is a good reason for me to try to avoid spine shots.
Of course,in this case the head wasnt visible the deer on the edge of a very high hill--A split second decision to drop him with a spine shot----See twoonie club 13 shots at twoonie size targets 100m---This was no accident.The range time pays off--Deer in the freezer--Down that 316 hill is two to three hours work in the dark/
Closed Thread