Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-06-2022, 07:27 PM

Thats just as bad as walking for miles hunting moose and have no quad to get it out.
Just need common sense and have to think about the whole trip and have a good plain before leaving home .
Old 10-06-2022, 08:04 PM

Seen many different styles of moose calling over the years and a lot of different calling styles got results. Even seen some of the worst calling work. It seems everyone does it a little different

My personal favorite for stubborn bulls is using a combo of cow and bull calls. The goal is to sound like a young bull courting a hot cow. Start out with cow calls varying the length and tone. If the bull continues to come with just cow calls I stick with it. Now if he hangs up or keeps circling I introduce a bull call to the mix. I keep the bull grunts soft and minimal. The goal is to sound meek but possible competition. This often will provoke the other bull to pick up the pace or commit in fear of loosing the cow

I was taught this from my grandpa who never missed a moose season in BC from the time he was 16-77years old and it was rare for him to not fill his tag. My brother actually filled his bull tag 2 days ago using this method

But my family and those we hunt/hunted with have many different call sequences that have been used successfully. If you listen to them all call they are do things slightly different but they all successfully call in bulls. We all use our voice, some with just hands and others use birch bark. Some even pour water on the ground or in that water to sound like a moose taking a leak.

The biggest thing is to get out and do it. Except you sound like an idiot but so do moose lol

Last edited by Smoky buck; 10-06-2022 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10-06-2022, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Thats just as bad as walking for miles hunting moose and have no quad to get it out.
Just need common sense and have to think about the whole trip and have a good plain before leaving home .
Oh what to do without a quad umm pack it out maybe lol

Many ways to get it done and it has been done many ways before quads
Old 10-07-2022, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Oh what to do without a quad umm pack it out maybe lol

Many ways to get it done and it has been done many ways before quads
I am always surprised to see the amount of people who think that you absolutely have to drag out the whole carcass!
Old 10-07-2022, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragor764 View Post
I am always surprised to see the amount of people who think that you absolutely have to drag out the whole carcass!
It’s amazing how many hunters don’t know how to break down an animal with only a knife too

But let’s let this thread get back on track as I bet there are those who will find the calling advice valuable