Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-06-2022, 11:19 AM

Default Chinese SKS

I'm sure this has been covered before, but I can't believe the cost of the Chinese SKS. $549 at Cabelas... Used to be like half that price.
Old 10-06-2022, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKP View Post
I'm sure this has been covered before, but I can't believe the cost of the Chinese SKS. $549 at Cabelas... Used to be like half that price.
Snap it up, then list it for $600.....
Old 10-06-2022, 11:37 AM

And the really sad part is they are worth maybe $150.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-06-2022, 11:45 AM

10-12 years ago i bought a crate of Russian sks’s. Figured I’d sell off 9 of them and make enough profit to have one free one for myself at the end. I wound up doing alright on them, and gifted the extra rifle to a landowner who always had his eye on it.
I was shocked to see how quickly the price of those Russians went up, so i went and bought a “collector” sks with numbers matching and unscratched stock. I put that rifle in the safe with a gun sock and haven’t fired it.
If they’re selling Chinese ones for 600, i can’t imagine what the Russian one is worth. I’m 42 and my teenage kids are already fighting over who’s going to inherit it when i finally kick the bucket. 😂😂
Old 10-06-2022, 11:58 AM

I have a numbers matching, 7/10 condition Russian SKS. I'll part with it for a paltry $1000.
Old 10-06-2022, 12:23 PM

Anyone know the effort it would take to build a small arms factory?
Old 10-06-2022, 12:39 PM

Default Ill check with my

Gunsmith in the Punjab.
Old 10-06-2022, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
And the really sad part is they are worth maybe $150.
They are absolute trash! That combined with crappy ammo and you have a real liability!
Old 10-06-2022, 02:01 PM

I remember buying SKS D’s for $125, now look at them. Look at primers and powder. I’m not a huge SKS fan by any stretch, but I’d take a Chinese one over a Russian most any day. I don’t think the differences are huge, but the Chinese ones I’ve seen have all out shot the Russian ones in the accuracy department and never seen a failure in any.

…….oh and it’s easier to cook a hotdog on the ChiCom bayonet, so bonus points for that!!
Old 10-06-2022, 03:34 PM

I bought my Russian sks Tula factory in a mint condition about 8 years ago, $199.00 It is a great fun gun with cheap(used to be at least) ammo. Now, after about a 1200 rounds thru it and not a single hick up, I can sell it for $350-400 easily!
I also have an SVT-40…. Now talking about a price increase! From $300 to over $1200!
Old 10-06-2022, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morinj View Post
They are absolute trash! That combined with crappy ammo and you have a real liability!
They do exactly what they were designed to do. Hold 4 to 5 MOA out to 300.

People expect more than what they were designed to do.

Most military rifles were 5MOA or better at 100 for acceptable accuracy.

Funny part is most guys couldn't shot a 3 inch group with iron sights on a modern rifle at 100.
Old 10-06-2022, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogie View Post
They do exactly what they were designed to do. Hold 4 to 5 MOA out to 300.

People expect more than what they were designed to do.

Most military rifles were 5MOA or better at 100 for acceptable accuracy.

Funny part is most guys couldn't shot a 3 inch group with iron sights on a modern rifle at 100.
Never have I seen so may miss fires, seizing, failures to shoot, failures to eject, and any other failures you could possibly think of, then with a sks! I’m sure you could have a whole thread of sks mishaps!
Old 10-06-2022, 05:13 PM

I remember when I bought my first Lee Enfield for 9.95 . Supply and demand, Period. I'd say the Chinese ones have a plus in being mostly new manufacture, not reurbs.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 10-06-2022, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Never have I seen so may miss fires, seizing, failures to shoot, failures to eject, and any other failures you could possibly think of, then with a sks! I’m sure you could have a whole thread of sks mishaps!
Mine runs flawlessly. So do the 2 dozen or so other ones owned by various friends, coworkers and family members who I have shot with.
Old 10-06-2022, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Never had any issues with any that I've shot, friends that have or guys at range with them.

Like any milsurp rifle they need to be cleaned of cosmoline properly to function. Cosmoline can harden and create problems. Steam cleaning works well to remove.
Old 10-06-2022, 06:54 PM

So neither of you have had a stove pipe, failure to feed failure to shoot, or your bolt seize to the point where you have to step on it, or use makeshift tools like a stick to open the action? I am not being passive aggressive, this is a legitimate question?
Old 10-06-2022, 07:18 PM

Quote:
So neither of you have had a stove pipe, failure to feed failure to shoot, or your bolt seize to the point where you have to step on it, or use makeshift tools like a stick to open the action? I am not being passive aggressive, this is a legitimate question?
Never had any of those issues or seen them.

If that's happening, bad ammo or or improper cleaning. Could just have a bad rifle.

Did you try new factory ammo to rule out ammo issue?

How did you clean rifle?

Could just be worn out milsurp rifle, they exist. Very few were not used if any.
Old 10-06-2022, 07:53 PM

I usually keep my firearms very clean, I’ve never owned a sks because of all the issues my shooting pals have had with them, as for keeping them clean, I have a Feeling they lag in that department! Man the stories I have!!
Old 10-06-2022, 08:00 PM

Never had a issue! Was a decent firearm! Not a firearm I would use as a hunting unit!
Old 10-06-2022, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Of the 4 I own, I've never had any of those issues.
Old 10-06-2022, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Never had any of those issues. Never heard of anyone having them either.
Old 10-06-2022, 08:55 PM

Quote:
I agree with the others. Of the 1-2 dozen I have owned or friends/family owned, I have never had issues with a single one as long as you were ok with a rifle that shoots minute of pie plate.
Old 10-06-2022, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
Never had any of those issues. Never heard of anyone having them either.
Same!
Old 10-06-2022, 09:33 PM

I just watched a video on YouTube by a guy who calls himself KG boom boom where he torture tested a Chinese SKS, long and short, in the end this guy ran this rifle over with a track steer and then burnt it to a literal crisp, and it still shot HAHAHAHAHAHA! I take back what I said, I am humbled, definately not trash, just not pretty or accurate, I would love to see some of these $4000 modern rifles take that sort of abuse and still shoot! Check out the vid it’s pretty cool!