Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-28-2018, 10:27 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Oh boy oh boy! Tonight is our 5th (?) annual Quarter Cask whisky tasting....a group of about a dozen of us have been getting together once or twice a year doing this, always a highlight. We do a straw poll at end of the night, on which was the favorite whisky, and whoever wins gets the plaque and bragging rights till the next meeting. I'm going big for the win tonight, but it's a secret blind tasting so I'm keeping it under cover till it's over. Will post results...Probably tomorrow!

Wish I was part of that group!! Have fun!!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 12-28-2018, 05:36 PM

Well, this will probably be gone by the end of the night with a dozen tasters getting poured....so took some pics of my Secret Weapon. Going to take my Kavalan Port Cask, a giant killer if ever there was one. I want to beat all the fine Scotch that will be there, with a 5 year old whiskey from Taiwan. Heads are going to explode....

Just look at that color, and it's all natural, 5 years in a port cask in the tropics! Wowzers! If this doesn't win it...I'm looking forward to whatever does!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181228_173117.jpg (42.8 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181228_173140.jpg (46.1 KB, 32 views)

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-28-2018, 06:16 PM

I bought a bottle of Arran Amarone Cask Finish just before Christmas - its been a popular buy around the table recently. Recommend it.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiewolf View Post
I bought a bottle of Arran Amarone Cask Finish just before Christmas - its been a popular buy around the table recently. Recommend it.
Totally agree with you. I'm down to the last inch or two of mine, got it a couple years ago, a very nice change up that on is! And a funky color too...

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-29-2018, 05:00 PM
Banned

Here are a couple of bottles that I picked up today. Both are meant for dessert.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:32 PM

Any opinions on Eau Claire's Single Malt?

I bought their first batch and had a few glasses, it was ok. I wondered if anything has changed with batch two?

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiewolf View Post
Any opinions on Eau Claire's Single Malt?

I bought their first batch and had a few glasses, it was ok. I wondered if anything has changed with batch two?
Just tried their second batch. Competent, but not a world beater IMHO.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:46 PM

Haven't tried the Eau Claire, so can't comment...reviews seem fairly 'meh' from what I've seen, but can't always go by them.

That Glenmorangie Bacalta looks interesting, Madeira casking sounds tasty...let me know what you think, I may have to try one!

As for the tasting last night...I failed to take the plaque home. My buddy Dallas won it last year with a bottle of Infamous, and this year, he beat me by one vote with a bottle of....the Glendronach 1995 Cask 5959, Tawney Port finish...yes, that Glendronach that I've raved about repeatedly here, recently even, and is one of my all time favorites. Which I introduced to him. Hoisted on my own petard, as it were. Oh well......I drank an extra shot of his and he had an extra of mine.

There were some interesting bottles brought last night. The 15 year old Askaig was very smooth, a nice Islay....besides my Taiwanese whiskey, a bottle of Japanese Suntory was there (delightful, going to bring one home), as well as a peated Amrut from India (which I thought it initially might be a new Ardbeg offering, was a great surprise!)...and there was a bottle of Glen Breton Rare 10 year old there...a pleasant surprise, had some really nice maple sugar notes to it. A bit sweet for my taste, but a fine whiskey nevertheless....anyway, a grand time was had by all. Even though I lost, again....

Maybe next year I pull out the stops and bring a 21 year old Macallan?

Old 12-29-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Haven't tried the Eau Claire, so can't comment...reviews seem fairly 'meh' from what I've seen, but can't always go by them.

That Glenmorangie Bacalta looks interesting, Madeira casking sounds tasty...let me know what you think, I may have to try one!

As for the tasting last night...I failed to take the plaque home. My buddy Dallas won it last year with a bottle of Infamous, and this year, he beat me by one vote with a bottle of....the Glendronach 1995 Cask 5959, Tawney Port finish...yes, that Glendronach that I've raved about repeatedly here, recently even, and is one of my all time favorites. Which I introduced to him. Hoisted on my own petard, as it were. Oh well......I drank an extra shot of his and he had an extra of mine.

There were some interesting bottles brought last night. The 15 year old Askaig was very smooth, a nice Islay....besides my Taiwanese whiskey, a bottle of Japanese Suntory was there (delightful, going to bring one home), as well as a peated Amrut from India (which I thought it initially might be a new Ardbeg offering, was a great surprise!)...and there was a bottle of Glen Breton Rare 10 year old there...a pleasant surprise, had some really nice maple sugar notes to it. A bit sweet for my taste, but a fine whiskey nevertheless....anyway, a grand time was had by all. Even though I lost, again....

Maybe next year I pull out the stops and bring a 21 year old Macallan?
I've tried some of those and have a 1999 I believe, Glendronach that I haven't opened yet. Some of that Amrut is beyond peaty, which I like. I have a bottle of the sherry cask. My daughter bought me a 5th Edition Scotch Advent Calendar this year that I didn't get before Christmas so will have to invent an event to start trying it out!
Old 12-29-2018, 06:01 PM

I've never met a Glendronach that I didn't like....and quite a few that I loved!

As for the Advent calendar, isn't it still Kwanzaa? Even if it isn't, who is going to know?

Old 12-29-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
I've never met a Glendronach that I didn't like....and quite a few that I loved!

As for the Advent calendar, isn't it still Kwanzaa? Even if it isn't, who is going to know?
Not sure about the Kwanzaa? A lot of different distilleries. Haven't read through the booklet yet but looks pretty impressive. I know it was over $400 for 25 little bottles! Here's a few snaps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg advent1.jpg (109.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg advent2.jpg (62.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg advent3.jpg (42.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg advent4.jpg (64.2 KB, 26 views)
Old 12-29-2018, 06:24 PM

Default Tried to delete but.

Delete.

Last edited by Okotok; 12-29-2018 at 06:28 PM. Reason: wrong thread :)
Old 12-29-2018, 08:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
The Bacalta is exquisite! Just the right amount of sweetness for my liking! Subtle notes of caramel and toffee. Plus it has alcohol so it's a 7/10!

The 21 year old Glen Grant is out of this world. I'm glad that I grabbed both of the dust covered boxes
Old 12-29-2018, 08:18 PM

Sounds nice, I will grab one of the Bacalta next time I'm out.

Old 12-30-2018, 07:19 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Sounds nice, I will grab one of the Bacalta next time I'm out.
I killed a bottle of the Bacalta this past year and really enjoyed it! Very sweet and rich. I think less so than the Milsean of the year previous to it but delicious none-the-less. Just today I grabbed a bottle of the new special edition from Glenmorangie, the Astar, as well as the Arran Port Cask. I look forward to cracking them both! I also received a Cardhu 12 for Christmas which was not on my radar at all, but it should have been! So much fruit and honey! I especially love pineapple hints and there is plenty of that! Super creamy on the tongue. I am a fan! Not a super expensive bottle either. Very pleasant surprise!!

Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 12-31-2018, 04:47 PM

Tonight, I might be cracking a couple of specialty caskings. The first is a Bowmore 16, from 1992. The next is an Auchentoshan 18, signed and handed to be by the master distiller a few years back. Both are supposed to be the last ones of their kind in Canada, according to the master distiller.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
Tonight, I might be cracking a couple of specialty caskings. The first is a Bowmore 16, from 1992. The next is an Auchentoshan 18, signed and handed to be by the master distiller a few years back. Both are supposed to be the last ones of their kind in Canada, according to the master distiller.
Those sound reallllly good! Enjoy them!

Not sure what all I may get into tonight. Kavalan Port I'm thinking....and some Balblair 1990....maybe some Aberlour A'bunahd.....Glendronach?

Decisions, decisions. But I promised a friend who is working tonight that I would have a couple for him, got to do my part.

Old 12-31-2018, 07:16 PM

You ever look at a bottle, after a hard day of work, and realize you are going to empty it anyway, so you just go ahead and pour one, instead of pretending and having to get up and pour a second one....

Well, Happy New Year to all my friends, and those who should be my friends!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181231_190201.jpg (45.6 KB, 31 views)

Old 01-08-2019, 05:03 PM

Default Collection

Happy New Year everyone. I found myself doing some organizing in the basement over holidays and pulled out the scotch collection. Anybody have pics of you collection to post up?

Ardbeg Corryvreckan
Ardbeg Uigeadail
Auchentoshan 12
Bowmore 15
Bowmore Black Rock
Bruichladdich Port Charlotte The Peat Project
Bruichladdich Port Charlotte 7
Bruichladdich 16 - Bourbon Cask Aged (If you can find this, the finish is wonderful!)
Bruichladdich Islay Barley
Bruichladdich Octomore 3,6, 7
Bunnahabhain Ceobanach
Caol Ila 12
Craigellachie
Glenmorangie 18
Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban
Highland Park Einar
Jura Prophecy
Lagavillun 16
Laphroaig Quarter Cask
Oban
Talisker Dark Storm
Talisker Distillers Edition
Tomatin 12
Old 01-08-2019, 05:06 PM

That is a wonderful looking collection! I will try and dig mine out sometime soon and grab a picture as well. Whisky is wonderful!

Old 01-08-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Whisky is wonderful!
Amen to that!
Old 01-08-2019, 08:35 PM

I had some Aberfeldy 21 over the holidays and it was excellent.

Alba gu brath!
Old 01-10-2019, 08:06 PM
AO Sponsor

I tasted this one at Whisky in the Warehouse put on by Willow Park wine and spirit last October and really enjoyed it! I regretted not buying one there but my buddy came in today with one he found for me!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1547175493753.jpg (25.7 KB, 34 views)
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 01-11-2019, 08:12 AM

Way out of my league here. What would you whiskey experts recommend for a complete and total ROOKIE? I like smoke/peat and would like a whiskey with lots of caramel, honey etc without a strong alcohol hit. Budget of $100-$150. Would rather like it than throw it out or give it away. I know taste is subjective but I'd like to acquire a taste for a good Scotch. To be truthful I've only tried scotch a few times. Hated some and liked others. Don't think any where "high end" whiskeys.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:13 AM

Not high end stuff, the one that suits "YOUR" palette. If it is High End, so be it, but not High End. That takes for granted that all whisky's must be High End in order to meet their responsibility. Not so.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeman3 View Post
Way out of my league here. What would you whiskey experts recommend for a complete and total ROOKIE? I like smoke/peat and would like a whiskey with lots of caramel, honey etc without a strong alcohol hit. Budget of $100-$150. Would rather like it than throw it out or give it away. I know taste is subjective but I'd like to acquire a taste for a good Scotch. To be truthful I've only tried scotch a few times. Hated some and liked others. Don't think any where "high end" whiskeys.

I always have the same answer...try the Aberlour 12....or better yet, the A'bunahd, it is in your price range and delicious. It is cask strength, but just add a few drops of water to it (to taste), it will tame down the alcohol bite and open up the flavor in it.

Others that would fit the bill are Glendronach , the 12 is nice, the 18 is very nice!

Old 01-11-2019, 10:33 AM

Thanks i'll see if I can find some. I realize everyones tastes are different and also know that a person may hate a "high end" whiskey. I probably used a incorrect term there.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
I always have the same answer...try the Aberlour 12....or better yet, the A'bunahd, it is in your price range and delicious. It is cask strength, but just add a few drops of water to it (to taste), it will tame down the alcohol bite and open up the flavor in it.

Others that would fit the bill are Glendronach , the 12 is nice, the 18 is very nice!
Some good suggestions. Aberlour 10 used to be a great deal and was $32 a bottle not too many years ago. For some reason it outranked the 12 in the Whiskey Bible way back when if you trust someone else's taste. Cheaper and better than a Glenlivet 12. Now it's over $50 a bottle and more expensive than the Glenlivet. I would throw in a Lagavulin 16 as being in your price range and very nicely smoky and peaty.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:03 AM

^^ off the top of my head I’d add Bowmore 15 and talisker to your list. Lots of good stuff out there in the 75-90 range
Old 01-11-2019, 12:41 PM

The dalmore 12 is on sale at sobeys right nor for $60 and glenmorangie 10 is on sale for 50$ at superstore. Thought I'd put that out there for anyone interested