Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-21-2016, 11:05 PM

Default Aframe travel trailers

Wondering if anyone owns or has used a Aframe travel trailer. Jayco has a nice one with a Baja package that I really like. Compact , hardsided and looks fast and simple for setup. They're pricey but all I'm basically looking for. Looking for opinions on these trailers . Like / Dislikes ? Thanks !
Old 11-22-2016, 11:50 AM

For their size, you're better off getting a small Boler or some other lightweight 13ft trailer. Much better use of space than losing overhead space, and often much cheaper than these A-frames. Those aren't much heavier either.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:25 PM

I have the smallest Aliner version of A-frame trailers. Light and easy towing with low wind resistance. Quick to set up.
Downside is lack of storage, forever digging under seat or bed cushions to get stuff.
I bought mine at a good price, but they are expensive.
Do your investigation to ensure you can live with the compromises.
Ours serves well as a two person hunting camp.
Old 11-22-2016, 03:06 PM

They make some pretty nice "Boler" style fiberglass trailers now with great floor plans and a bathroom. Even the larger ones are light to pull.

I had a mid 70's A frame tent trailer way back when. Cool little trailer but set up and storage was a pain. If doing it again, I would buy a tent trailer over an A frame, WAY more room inside & big beds once set up.

And it is so much nicer to park somewhat level and just open a door if the weather sucks when you get to where your going, you can deal with the minimal set up later when it's nice out.

Go used if you can and save a couple bucks.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:03 PM

Every choice is a compromise.
A Boler style trailer has more wind resistance, therefor more fuel consumption, and buffeting on windy prairie highways.
A-frame has less drag and has less than a minute set-up. The hard sides of an A-frame are attractive compared to canvas. My 2005 Aliner Scout is the simplest, lightest, cheapest model, with a lower profile than the new models on the market.
The issue of storage inconvenience in an A-frame is the only negative of substance for me. Larger Aliner trailers, and perhaps their similar competitors have more available storage, but more weight too.
I tow my trailer with a 175 HP Subaru Forester and only notice the trailer following behind on the steepest hills.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskbooknut View Post
Every choice is a compromise.
A Boler style trailer has more wind resistance, therefor more fuel consumption, and buffeting on windy prairie highways.
A-frame has less drag and has less than a minute set-up. The hard sides of an A-frame are attractive compared to canvas. My 2005 Aliner Scout is the simplest, lightest, cheapest model, with a lower profile than the new models on the market.
The issue of storage inconvenience in an A-frame is the only negative of substance for me. Larger Aliner trailers, and perhaps their similar competitors have more available storage, but more weight too.
I tow my trailer with a 175 HP Subaru Forester and only notice the trailer following behind on the steepest hills.
Agree, find what fits for you and your rig and go have fun.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Agree, find what fits for you and your rig and go have fun.
Yup. If you have a smaller vehicle, then the A-frame gives a lot of advantages over a tent trailer for heat retention, setting up in bad weather, etc. On the other hand, it is not so great in usable floor space and headroom.

I'm a trailer nerd and have researched hundreds of floorplans, trailer types, etc. A lot boils down to your needs/wants and the way you enjoy camping.

I don't know what your tow vehicle is, but if I had a mid-sized SUV or a minivan, I would look at something along the lines of this over an A frame, but that's just me!

http://www.scamptrailers.com/showroo...0160219_095618
Old 11-23-2016, 09:36 AM

Scamp, that's the trailer i was referring to. Did an insurance claim on one with collision damages when they first came out. The 15 ft had a better floor plan then my 17 ft, 30 yr old trailer had. Roomy and cozy. Owner pulled it with an small suv.

I went from sleeping under canopies to an old A frame trailer to a standard trailer. Buy what suits you and enjoy.

Tags
camping, rvs, trailers, travel