Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-13-2018, 09:18 AM

Default Looking for Camping / Fishing Ideas for Vacation Starting August 16th

I have been a long time Lurker on the forum but this is my first post. I live in Chestermere AB and was planning to go to Mabel Lake for my Vacation this year. I was really looking forward to catching my first Salmon but unfortunately the fire situation has ended that dream and I need some advice. I understand some of you may not want to share that special fishing spot in public but you could private message me and I will keep the info private.

I am trying to keep the Travel time under 7 hours as it also keeps fuel cost down. I might considering a longer trip if it was something magical

here's what i have for gear:
- 16 ft Crestliner Fishhawk Fishing Boat with Electric Down Riggers
* alternately could take my small river pontoon and trolling motor
- Modded / Lifted 4Runner for nasty roads
- Setup for Fly Fishing or Spin Casting
- Tent attaches to truck, also like to stick with my truck as my fridge uses solar.
- 14 Days Off
- I don't need bathrooms, power or any camping facilities

I was thinking of hitting up Wilson as usually I can get a tent spot right on the water where in can beach the boat and have a good week. I haven't had a lot of luck getting many decent size fish on the lake, maybe one 20" rainbow (rest small), its a nice spot but i haven't mastered it. I was really looking forward to Salmon (Mabel) or at least catching lots of large Lake Trout. Mainly I like somewhere off the beaten path (not RV camping), great fishing (salmon would be nice), a road i can take my boat on , just a slope into the water) and ideally on the water so I don't have to drive back and forth from camp or re-launch the boat each day. I can get it into Wilson lake no problem, and don't need a fancy boat launch as i have mud tires and 4x4

I have done some googling but the thing is the good spots don't usually stay good once they are all over the internet. Feel free to provide some tips or lures selections for fishing Wilson or whatever lakes you suggest. The last thing I want is an RV park, with a Kids playground and paved roads!

Normally i wouldn't post for help on such short notice but I haven't taken a single day off for over a year and I really need to have a great vacation.

I appreciate all help and will try to return the favour when i can!

Tags
boat, fishing, salmon, vacation