Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-03-2019, 12:13 PM

Default Fall whitefish thread!!!!

So as the leaves start to turn golden, and the days get shorter, and there is a cold crispness in the air, a young (fisher)man's thoughts will naturally turn to whitefish fishing....

(I'm too old for Frat Parties, you see).....

Anyways, thought i would start a Thread and see how everyone's efforts have been going.

It can't be all speckle55 hitting his honey holes in the Park. There are lots of whites out on the flatland as well, right?

Drewski
Old 09-03-2019, 03:54 PM

Are we talking Rockies or Lake whitefish?
Old 09-03-2019, 04:19 PM

Well .....

WHY NOT BOTH!!!

But really, what is driving me crazy is getting Lake Whitefish to bite.

All you need for Rockies (where allowed) is a nail, a dropper loop, a size 10 Royal coachman or Black Gnat, tipped with a maggot, and away you go! When the nail snags up, just break it off, and tie on another Nail.

Now for Whites, I have had good days in years past at the Trellis at Wabamum with a Kastmaster and a slip bober with short jigging action as it was reeled in.

Actually out fished the wire worms under a bober that so many others where using.

Drewski
Old 09-03-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Well .....

WHY NOT BOTH!!!

But really, what is driving me crazy is getting Lake Whitefish to bite.

All you need for Rockies (where allowed) is a nail, a dropper loop, a size 10 Royal coachman or Black Gnat, tipped with a maggot, and away you go! When the nail snags up, just break it off, and tie on another Nail.

Now for Whites, I have had good days in years past at the Trellis at Wabamum with a Kastmaster and a slip bober with short jigging action as it was reeled in.

Actually out fished the wire worms under a bober that so many others where using.

Drewski
Years past at Wabamun seems to be the operative now. Before THE SPILL, in the late fall the railroad trellis area was packed with fishers in boats and on the shore. I would "fly fish" with a floating line and wire worm (sweetened with a white maggot) and have tons of action for whitefish. Last fall saw nada and nobody goes there any more.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:53 PM

Sylvan - Sept 15th .... warm calm afternoon, nice fall colors, water still a bit too warm, a few small Whites roaming around the shallows.

D.

Old 09-16-2019, 07:29 AM

What info can you guy give on whites in the fall? How do I target them? Are they in different locations? Does water temp dropping bring them closer to shore ? Do they like big flat structures to spawn? I probably won’t get out till after archery season and I have already winterized the boat so I will be in a canoe so locations them on the Humminbird helix 10 is not an option in the canoe.
Thanks guys