Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-20-2019, 12:01 AM

Only managed the one white in the mid-afternoon as Zip said, saw lots in the shallows late morning/early afternoon. Spent the first few hours bowfishing instead of fly fishing, haven't had the chance to do it for years so I sucked badly at it and got skunked. Difficult to aim in 5-7 fow especially when the whites spook so fast right now. Cold wind kicked up really fast at 5:30 and drove me in.

At least it was a beautiful day out, finally managed to get one nice panorama shot. If you look really closely near the big hotel you can see Zip in the water

Old 10-20-2019, 07:10 AM

That really is a nice shot. Thanks!
Old 10-22-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshotz View Post
Only managed the one white in the mid-afternoon as Zip said, saw lots in the shallows late morning/early afternoon. Spent the first few hours bowfishing instead of fly fishing, haven't had the chance to do it for years so I sucked badly at it and got skunked. Difficult to aim in 5-7 fow especially when the whites spook so fast right now. Cold wind kicked up really fast at 5:30 and drove me in.

At least it was a beautiful day out, finally managed to get one nice panorama shot. If you look really closely near the big hotel you can see Zip in the water

Slingshotz .... you sure have a patient family to spend the entire day out on the lake. Fishin was slow that day, most likely due to the calm, sunny day. Really like your pic, too.

Cheers

D.

Old 10-22-2019, 04:28 PM

Oct 22nd – Sylvan – Went out at 1:00 pm for a few hours, wind came up and ended my fun. Got 2 Whites, both males, had a few more hits but missed them, no Walleye past 2 trips, they must be hiding.

More wind in the forecast, not many days left.

A few pic’s.

D.

Nice & Calm ….

5 Minutes Later …..

Got Pushed Home …..

These sure work for me with a 1/32 jig head .....

Boneless Dinner for the Mrs ….

Old 10-22-2019, 04:33 PM

I just nymphed the river yesterday and caught the most fish I have caught all season, I love that late fall whitefish bite.
https://youtu.be/r-biqUsjOTI
Old 10-22-2019, 05:25 PM

Fall time Whitefish from the river
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fall manitoba 2019 484 (1280x720).jpg (49.9 KB, 139 views)
Old 10-22-2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by super mario View Post
Fall time Whitefish from the river

Nice White SuperM & that's not Lockport Dam as you can't even get close to the Red River due to flood, bet you miss those monster Greenbacks at this time of year, too.

D.

Old 10-23-2019, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Nice White SuperM & that's not Lockport Dam as you can't even get close to the Red River due to flood, bet you miss those monster Greenbacks at this time of year, too.

D.
THx I fish at Red river floodway outlet structure and Fishing was Great
Old 10-25-2019, 10:31 PM

This thread gave me some hope initially but I give up! Last weekend I gave it the good ole college try but still couldn’t catch a White in Pigeon Lake. Anyone else have luck catching them there? I feel like I explored the whole south end but couldn’t find one. Going to the north end once the ice is thick enough I guess!

https://www.stringtheoryangling.ca/o...of-open-water/
Old 10-26-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringTheory View Post
This thread gave me some hope initially but I give up! Last weekend I gave it the good ole college try but still couldn’t catch a White in Pigeon Lake. Anyone else have luck catching them there? I feel like I explored the whole south end but couldn’t find one. Going to the north end once the ice is thick enough I guess!

https://www.stringtheoryangling.ca/o...of-open-water/
i fish by the point at grandveiw this time of year , whites are stacked up there in oct nov, , as this is one area they spawn at , once you hit the spot on the spot its non stop action, please conserve the resource .
Old 10-28-2019, 08:45 AM

Thanks for the tip Fish99. Unfortunately I had to put the boat in hibernation this weekend. If we get a nice day I may take the kayak out for a ride but likely waiting for first ice in December.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:14 PM

Oct 28th ... Sylvan ... -19 C with the wind chill, not a good day to go fishin.

D.

Old 10-31-2019, 08:18 AM

Got out to Sylvan yesterday. Decent enough day. Water temp was 34.5 at the surface. Getting there!

Didn't see many whites in the shallows. Lots of boats out though which was a surprise this late. I've seen a real drop off this year in numbers seen. That said, it has been a strange year weather wise so hard to say. Certainly the popularity has grown.

I did manage to scratch out a couple though and a decent day overall with the weather.

Bring on the ice!
Old 10-31-2019, 01:54 PM

Nice SNAP! Won’t be long until we’re on the ice for them!
Old 10-31-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Got out to Sylvan yesterday. Decent enough day. Water temp was 34.5 at the surface. Getting there!

Didn't see many whites in the shallows. Lots of boats out though which was a surprise this late. I've seen a real drop off this year in numbers seen. That said, it has been a strange year weather wise so hard to say. Certainly the popularity has grown.

I did manage to scratch out a couple though and a decent day overall with the weather.

Bring on the ice!

Mr. Snap .... nice to see you made it out yesterday & have enough for supper, was considering going, however, I needed an ice breaker to get on to the water and wouldn't last long in a float tube at those water temps.

Last year I did extremely well in late October, unfortunately, most of the Whites were females & full of eggs, guess this season there will be more females reproducing in Sylvan.

Cheers

D.

Old 11-02-2019, 06:51 PM

I was at calling two weeks ago and the natives had a net in 8 feet of water that was loaded with whites. I tried to go back but all the windy days we had kept me off the lake. When it finally calmed down earlier this week i made plans to head out but when i phoned a cabin owner up at the lake he told me there was 20 feet of ice from shore. I thought i was done but i phoned him this evening and all ice is gone so the plan is to head out tomorrow. I will report on the results.