Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-15-2007, 02:33 PM
bignose

Default boat question - advice appreciated

Wanting to do more fishing this year, and thinking of a boat. (Never had one before - do they make a really big difference to your chances of success? I guess they do). Just wondering what type would be best.

We're a family of four (kids 12 and 9, already big and growing fast), so we'll need something big enough for four at least, and stable. Wanted to fish lakes and (slow) rivers (NSR, Bow maybe). I've got a truck for pulling. Needs to be cheap, so used is preferable. Been thinking aluminum and 16ft? (probably) but beyond that - not sure. I'm assuming I'll need a trailer, unless there's some way of putting it on top of the truck?

Any suggestions? I've had a lot of great advice from people on this board on hunting (which helped me a lot), and would really appreciate any ideas. What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Also, anyone have experience anywhere near Edmonton of dealers good for used boats and motors?

Any advice appreciated.

My son (12) has decided this is his year to get a big pike, so we'll be working on that. Who knows, maybe I'll get one too ...

Thanks
Old 04-15-2007, 02:40 PM
Winch101

Best place in Edmonton Free Spirit marine ....

16' Aluminum ( buy as wide and as heavy as you can afford ) Trailer for sure , Dont be under powered ...
Lake boat does not do well on rivers like the Bow...
Old 04-15-2007, 03:41 PM
Bear Ballz

Anywhere but CARS R.V. marine in Leduc, **** poor service and follow-up. Once they have your cash and the boat is off the lot it's see yah later and don't comeback. Took me 2 years to get a warranty part from them and no one even tried to help. I finally went right to the show room and took the part off one of the floor model boats myself.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:02 PM
huntercam

Shipwreck Marine in Edmonton Talk to Dan Koziak very good service and a very helpful sales rep bought a boat from him at the sportsman show they also have a good reputation for their service dept
Old 04-15-2007, 08:55 PM
Crestliner192

I would have to agree with winch101

Free Spirit Marine.

I have been a customer with them since 1999, and have bought two boats from them. Great to deal with.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:39 PM
upfishcreek

16 ft aluminum with trailor, motor, nothing smaller than a 20hp for sure. If buying used, check out www.buysell.com and trader??. find someone that knows about boats + fishing to go with you when looking at boats. try to have an idea of what you want and need before buying.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:46 PM
bignose

thanks everybody
Old 04-16-2007, 08:32 PM
happy perch fisher

is u want take a 16 foot alunimin boat down the NSask u better bring a big balling bucket. The river is really shallow in alot of spots even when the river at highest. I would stick with the lakes.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:21 PM
kanonfodder

I realize you said inexpensive but I would seriously suggest a Zodiak style boat, very durable easy to set up, fun with kids and very versitile.....we used to take one every Sept long weekend to Slave and loved it as a kid....
Old 04-17-2007, 01:22 AM
Tree Guy

Hey BigNose, good to here from you again! Pipe up more often won't ya! lol

I gotta go with Kannon. We are running a 13' Zebeck (Inflateable). Started out with a 9.9, went to a 15 which was still not enough and ended up with a 25 two-stroke that will do 'cat-walk's' down the lake with one occupant!

As with everything, the technologies with the inflatables have advanced greatly. Super sturdy, and super stable. As an experiment, the three of us in the boat all stood on the pontoon on one side (avg. wgt. 200lbs) and there was almost no difference as to the balance of the boat in the water.

We have mounted seats, oar holders (yokes, I think), downriggers, rod holders, etc, etc mounted on this puppy. Great unit, worth looking into if you do not want to pull a trailer. That and you'll never get swamped. They are tough and three chambered. You are not going to sink, unless you work really, really hard at it! lol

Tree

PS Post more, I like what you have to say!
Old 04-20-2007, 07:43 PM
tree

Default tree

Thanks again, guys.

Tree - hadn't thought about an inflatable, I'll look into that.

btw - like those photos of you up a tree - I used to work for a tree guy in uk years ago, 'cept over there they're call 'tree surgeons' (for real).