Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-19-2007, 12:10 PM
Rookie Recurve

Default Spear Fishing

Has anyone here tried this. I was told it is a lot like hunting. I understand that ther is a restriction on the species you can 'hunt'. But man that could really scratch my itch! I am hoping to try some bowfishing to. We should be allowed to spearfish any gamefish within the catch limits. I mean really, how many people spearfish anyway.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:28 PM
re

Default re

knew a guy who used to do it in Brasea res. He speard a 15lb ling. Don't know about restrictions because at that time ling were not a sport fish.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:26 AM
gunner 83

Default Re: re

off the top of my head you can spear/bow shoot fish that don't have size restrictions on them, ie Ling and whitefish, but don't quote me on that
Old 04-20-2007, 10:34 AM
ULTRAlite

Default Re: re

For anyone interested...

Found Here:
Alberta Fishing Regulations 2007 - bowfishing and spearfishing

"Bowfishing
A special licence for bowfishing is not required. Bowfishing is allowed under the Alberta Sportfishing Licence.
Crossbows cannot be used.
Bows cannot be used to take trout, mountain whitefish, Arctic grayling, lake sturgeon, walleye or northern pike.
Bowfishing is not permitted in Gods, May, Seibert, Winefred, Andrew, Gardiner and Namur lakes.

Spearfishing
A special licence for spearfishing is not required. Spearfishing is allowed under the Alberta Sportfishing Licence.
Only spears propelled by spring, elastic, compressed gas or muscular power are permitted.
Only persons who are swimming may spearfish.
Spears cannot be used to take trout, mountain whitefish, Arctic grayling, lake sturgeon, walleye or northern pike.
Spearfishing is not permitted in Gods, May, Seibert, Winefred, Andrew, Gardiner and Namur lakes."
Old 04-20-2007, 01:32 PM
Remi

Default Re: spearfishing

....it's harder than it looks.

Remi
Old 04-20-2007, 03:10 PM
bigbore

Default Re: spearfishing

if your looking for perch, Hubbles lake is nice and clear, and the bigger perch hold in the pockets in the weeds, nice thing about spearfishing is that you can shoot the fish that wont take a hook, thats how they get big. I used to spearfish in the days when we could hunt pike, but perch just dont turn my crank anymore, usually you dont have to fire the spear, you can usually just stick'em. when you swim with them, they arent as skittish.

use to bowfish too, lots in wabamun on the outlet for pike and whitefish, but once again when we lost pike as a target, i lost intrest.