Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-04-2024, 09:58 AM

Default Spy Point Cam Users

I took advantage of Boxing Day and some gift cards and picked up a Spypoint Flex cam. I'm just on the free plan and have a question about how the plan actually works at the end of the monthly cycle.
I get 100 pics sent for free each month. If i reach the 100 pics before the end of the monthly cycle, the rest of the pics are stored on the SD card. But when the next cycle begins, do i get the stored pics first? Or does it send only new pics at the beginning of the new cycle?

Pic for attention
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spypoint.jpg (142.4 KB, 131 views)
Old 01-04-2024, 11:15 AM

You get the first hundred pictures it takes each month. The rest are saved on the card and not sent to you.
Old 01-04-2024, 12:23 PM

Mine dumped the lot as soon as the new cycle began. I was sent like 30 pics of a bedded doe. Normally I would shut off the instant send if I get a notification of a deer bedded but if the camera isn't sending, you don't know to make the adjustment.
Old 01-05-2024, 09:15 AM

I have a couple and they work great. Answer to your question is once your next 100 pictures are renewed the camera sends pictures from that date. Not any stored from the previous 100+
Summer-fall I upgrade to more pictures and pay.
Old 01-05-2024, 09:38 AM

Mine certainly sent the old ones. I have one that is full right now but renews on the 8th. I will watch and see but I am expecting a dump of pictures as it hasn't sent any since Dec 29th and it is in a busy area.
Old 01-05-2024, 01:37 PM

So far i've got 74/100 with 23 days left (20 of those were set up testing shots!). Time to reduce the frequency, the pic with communication, and the sensitivity!
I'm really liking it so far!
Old 01-05-2024, 01:55 PM

The cell links are a lot of fun as well. You can hook them up to old Tasco cameras or others and they turn them into a cell camera. With Spypoint you get 100 pictures free or 250 free per month if you join the "club". That's 100 or 250 free pics for every device.

I have a bunch of the cell links as they are as cheap as dirt on Amazon. Very inexpensive entertainment.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-05-2024, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
The cell links are a lot of fun as well. You can hook them up to old Tasco cameras or others and they turn them into a cell camera. With Spypoint you get 100 pictures free or 250 free per month if you join the "club". That's 100 or 250 free pics for every device.

I have a bunch of the cell links as they are as cheap as dirt on Amazon. Very inexpensive entertainment.

[IMG][/IMG]
I was looking at getting some of those Spypoint cell links for some of my better non-cell cams.
Reliability and quality of the pictures is good?
Old 01-05-2024, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post
I was looking at getting some of those Spypoint cell links for some of my better non-cell cams.
Reliability and quality of the pictures is good?
There is some talk on the internet that they do not work on all cameras but they have worked on the ones I tried. The picture quality on the Amazon cameras I use is as good or better than those sent from the Flex G-36. Both are not stellar unless you request the HD version which are cheap enough.

They won't send high mega pixel imagines but neither will the top end Spypoint cameras. Even off the cards directly the photo quality is a bit lacking.

The reliability is depended upon the SD card as it is the weak link. The cards can be pulled out and the wire can be pinched if you are not careful. I has one actually fail right out of the box but they sent me a new one without a hassle. The Flex that failed was another story.

There is a guy on line that uses them with those old Tasco cameras. I tried them and they do work but the Amazon cameras work better.

They are limited in what they do. They send a picture only so far as I can tell. When I tried to get them to send a burst the rig froze and I had to format the cards.

I just read on line that you can get them to send a photo and also record a video that you can view when you pull the camera. That would be great but I haven't tested that theory. I am going to play with them more over the winter as I picked up 4 more on black Friday for $30 a piece.
Old 01-05-2024, 07:50 PM

Here is the same buck from a non HD picture as sent directly to the app. You can hardly count the points but you can tell it is worth taking a closer look. The camera it is hooked to takes incredible pictures and videos on it's own and is only about 15 feet away from the subject.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-06-2024, 10:31 AM

Hey MK,

How do you find the service coverage for the SP cell links? I used to run some spy point mini cell cams and got rid of them as the coverage was horrendous. I have Tactacams in the same spots I tried the spypoint cell cams (with no coverage) and have great cell coverage.

DR
Old 01-06-2024, 04:43 PM

Thanks for that info MK2750, appreciate it.
I might have to order a couple of those cell links and give them a whirl with the non-cell cams I’m running now……
Old 01-06-2024, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRhunter View Post
Hey MK,

How do you find the service coverage for the SP cell links? I used to run some spy point mini cell cams and got rid of them as the coverage was horrendous. I have Tactacams in the same spots I tried the spypoint cell cams (with no coverage) and have great cell coverage.

DR
I only have the SpyPoint Cell-Links and Flex G-36 to compare. The G-36 seem to work better when it comes to reception. If I get cell reception on my phone the G-36 cameras work however the Cell-Links won't always hook up if I have one bar only. It usually just takes moving it around the tree to get service but there was two occasions when I had one bar on the phone and couldn't get the Cell-Link to connect.

My son likes his Tactacams and they have been working well for him.

I really like black flash cameras and like that I can hook the Cell-Links to these cameras.
Old 01-06-2024, 06:43 PM

I just finished my first year running a few cell links. For the cost they are worth it to convert non- cell cameras. But I found some pros and cons:

Pros, cheap, free plan, not worried if someone steals them, can use no glow camera.

Cons, transmited picture quality is terrible ( pic on SD cards in cell link are fine) and somewhat finicky to operate. Seemed to use battery fast in cold, I had to cut slots in the camera or it pinched the cable and wrecked it.

Had a few times where the cable on the card pulled slightly out of the cam and it stopped working. Also had a deer bite through the cable and wreck it. So the cable can bring complications if not careful, but I figured out a system that eliminated "most" of it.

I got a couple tactacams for Christmas, testing them out now. So far they seem way better but no free plan.

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2024, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worm View Post
I just finished my first year running a few cell links. For the cost they are worth it to convert non- cell cameras. But I found some pros and cons:

Pros, cheap, free plan, not worried if someone steals them, can use no glow camera.

Cons, transmited picture quality is terrible ( pic on SD cards in cell link are fine) and somewhat finicky to operate. Seemed to use battery fast in cold, I had to cut slots in the camera or it pinched the cable and wrecked it.

Had a few times where the cable on the card pulled slightly out of the cam and it stopped working. Also had a deer bite through the cable and wreck it. So the cable can bring complications if not careful, but I figured out a system that eliminated "most" of it.

I got a couple tactacams for Christmas, testing them out now. So far they seem way better but no free plan.

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk
I cut slots in mine as well using a box cutter. I heated the blade up first so it wouldn't crack the plastic. I left the rubber gasket intact and it squeezes the wire enough to hold it in place without damage.

I picked up a couple of the new Stealth Cam Deceptors on a Boxing Day sale. They are a black flash camera and get decent reviews. I see the guys on Canadian Whitetail and Live to Hunt using Stealth Cams. They are of course paid to endorse them but the pictures look really good on the shows. Haven't tried them yet but hopefully they work well.
Old 01-07-2024, 12:40 PM

Quote:
I only have the SpyPoint Cell-Links and Flex G-36 to compare. The G-36 seem to work better when it comes to reception. If I get cell reception on my phone the G-36 cameras work however the Cell-Links won't always hook up if I have one bar only. It usually just takes moving it around the tree to get service but there was two occasions when I had one bar on the phone and couldn't get the Cell-Link to connect.

My son likes his Tactacams and they have been working well for him.

I really like black flash cameras and like that I can hook the Cell-Links to these cameras.
Good to know.. likely wont work for my purposes! Guess I will be stuck with the non-free tactacams and no cell remitted pictures from the rest of my cameras for now.

DR
Old 01-09-2024, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nast70 View Post
I took advantage of Boxing Day and some gift cards and picked up a Spypoint Flex cam. I'm just on the free plan and have a question about how the plan actually works at the end of the monthly cycle.
I get 100 pics sent for free each month. If i reach the 100 pics before the end of the monthly cycle, the rest of the pics are stored on the SD card. But when the next cycle begins, do i get the stored pics first? Or does it send only new pics at the beginning of the new cycle?

Pic for attention
As for your original question. My camera used up the allotted pictures around Christmas. It sent nothing until yesterday and then dumped 150 pictures all at once from the last 2 weeks.
Old 01-09-2024, 06:54 PM

Default What camera do you have?

Quote:
As for your original question. My camera used up the allotted pictures around Christmas. It sent nothing until yesterday and then dumped 150 pictures all at once from the last 2 weeks.
I have 2 spy point cameras. A Micro-S-LTE and a S-Dark-RTAC and they don’t do that. I get 100 pictures a month and that’s it. Have to down load the rest off the card to see them. That was on the free plan.
Old 01-09-2024, 07:29 PM

This one is a Cell Link but it has happened before. I can't recall which cameras and it only shows the date taken on the app. not when sent.
Old 01-10-2024, 08:41 AM

Last pic of the month for me. Overall, very happy with the camera. Only a couple no animal pics came through. Might have been triggered by a bird or something. Going to wait till the end of next month to decide if i want to upgrade to a plan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spypoint.jpg (166.7 KB, 32 views)
Old 01-10-2024, 09:01 AM

Cabelas recently had the Flex on sale for $118.99 so I bought 3. Got a total of 4 now and the one I did run this past season was sending me photos on 0% battery so I was happy with it and it was easy to set up.

My cell-links are finicky. Some work, some seem to work then stop until I go and turn them off and on again.

I have two Micros and one chews through batteries and one does alright.

I'll probably phase out the cell-links because the standalone camera is more reliable and I usually throw up a basic cam in the same area as a cell cam just in case the cell one fails to transmit.
Old 01-10-2024, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtShooter View Post
Cabelas recently had the Flex on sale for $118.99 so I bought 3. Got a total of 4 now and the one I did run this past season was sending me photos on 0% battery so I was happy with it and it was easy to set up.

My cell-links are finicky. Some work, some seem to work then stop until I go and turn them off and on again.

I have two Micros and one chews through batteries and one does alright.

I'll probably phase out the cell-links because the standalone camera is more reliable and I usually throw up a basic cam in the same area as a cell cam just in case the cell one fails to transmit.
Apparently you can have the cell link send you a picture and then record a video for when you pick up the card. I haven't tried it yet but it would be good if it could. The bad thing is if the link cable became disconnected as the memory card is in the link not the camera.

I was going to grab a couple of the Flex as I got a Cabelas card at Christmas but opted for a couple of the new Stealth Cam Deceptors. I am hoping for better quality pictures but who knows.
Old 01-10-2024, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Last pic of the month for me. Overall, very happy with the camera. Only a couple no animal pics came through. Might have been triggered by a bird or something. Going to wait till the end of next month to decide if i want to upgrade to a plan.
Nice quality black and white photo. Which camera, all my Spy Points were cellular and sent color pictures. After the first 100, mine all stored them on the card, they never sent them the next month, only newly recorded ones from the next free period.

I am still a little so so on Spypoint. My first one was a Micro with the Solar battery system built in. It died after about 6 months. Spypoint replaced it. Ended up selling the new one still in its box. Their customer service is really poor now, they were great when they started out. Biggest issue is you need the camera in hand for virtually all of their help functions, which isn't very handy when the camera is on a tree 300 miles away. Camera reliability seems to have taken a hit too. Bought two of the LM2 that run off of AA batteries last fall. One worked perfect, the other was glitchy as hell. Took them both back.

I like the cellular as the cameras are set up a long ways from home, and I like the free 100 pictures a month, but I am not sure it makes up for the other issues. No sure what I am going to try next year.
Old 01-10-2024, 10:59 AM

I bought 2 new Flex S from Cabelas. I’ll probably go hang them up next week when it warms up and pull my cell links down. I’m curious to see how these Flex’s will do.
Old 01-10-2024, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Nice quality black and white photo. Which camera, all my Spy Points were cellular and sent color pictures. After the first 100, mine all stored them on the card, they never sent them the next month, only newly recorded ones from the next free period.

I am still a little so so on Spypoint. My first one was a Micro with the Solar battery system built in. It died after about 6 months. Spypoint replaced it. Ended up selling the new one still in its box. Their customer service is really poor now, they were great when they started out. Biggest issue is you need the camera in hand for virtually all of their help functions, which isn't very handy when the camera is on a tree 300 miles away. Camera reliability seems to have taken a hit too. Bought two of the LM2 that run off of AA batteries last fall. One worked perfect, the other was glitchy as hell. Took them both back.

I like the cellular as the cameras are set up a long ways from home, and I like the free 100 pictures a month, but I am not sure it makes up for the other issues. No sure what I am going to try next year.
Its the Flex. That last pic was taken at dusk. My only wish so far is a more real time transmission of the photo. That last pic was taken at 4:51, i didn't get it till 6:30, the next scheduled communication time. I did play around with the instant send, but even then it was 20-30 mins before i got the pic.
Wouldn't it be cool to have instant send, and a couple units down a trail and watch an animal get closer and closer.....
Old 01-10-2024, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Its the Flex. That last pic was taken at dusk. My only wish so far is a more real time transmission of the photo. That last pic was taken at 4:51, i didn't get it till 6:30, the next scheduled communication time. I did play around with the instant send, but even then it was 20-30 mins before i got the pic.
Wouldn't it be cool to have instant send, and a couple units down a trail and watch an animal get closer and closer.....
I wouldn’t call that fair chase, but that’s my opinion only.

Tree stand hunters could have every trail rigged with cams and know exactly where that buck will come out at.