Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-02-2023, 01:28 PM

Default Lessons In Self-Filming

This year I was determined to shoot a cranker whitetail or eat Tag Soup. Well it's Tag Soup (again) for me.

Anyway I fool around trying to video my hunts.

This year I got video on a bunch of deer, but all 3 of the biggest bucks I saw, I screwed up.

Anybody else that is interested in this self-filming thing, here's what you must do.

Make absolutely certain that there is no grass or small trees, branches anywhere on the line of sight of you camera.
Especially when you try to zoom in the camera, it will focus on the grass, shrubs, branches in front of you and the effect actually blurs out the deer, the more you zoom the worse the blur is.

Even 1 or 2 blades of grass will screw up your shot, if you zoom.

I had 2 really nice 4x4's, one with simple yellow grass in front of me, the second there were small poplars. Both videos blurred.

The worst was a really heavy horned BIG bodied buck that was chasing a doe and he stopped did the whole lip curl thing (a couple times).

In all 3 situations I thought I was going to have great video and the big 4x4 and then the heavy antlered buck were absolutely crap.

This also where a treestand will help, cuz your line of sight to a deer is almost certainly going to be clear to your video target.

I was crushed when I screwed up on the heavy buck especially because the way he was chasing the doe, doing the lip phlegming was just so cool.
Besides the fact that he was an incredible buck that I decided to pass up.

But it was a small clump fo the yellow grass that ruined that video.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 12-02-2023, 02:32 PM

Default Videography Is The Constant Elimination Of Ones Mistakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonical View Post
This year I was determined to shoot a cranker whitetail or eat Tag Soup. Well it's Tag Soup (again) for me.

Anyway I fool around trying to video my hunts.

This year I got video on a bunch of deer, but all 3 of the biggest bucks I saw, I screwed up.

Anybody else that is interested in this self-filming thing, here's what you must do.

Make absolutely certain that there is no grass or small trees, branches anywhere on the line of sight of you camera.
Especially when you try to zoom in the camera, it will focus on the grass, shrubs, branches in front of you and the effect actually blurs out the deer, the more you zoom the worse the blur is.

Even 1 or 2 blades of grass will screw up your shot, if you zoom.

I had 2 really nice 4x4's, one with simple yellow grass in front of me, the second there were small poplars. Both videos blurred.

The worst was a really heavy horned BIG bodied buck that was chasing a doe and he stopped did the whole lip curl thing (a couple times).

In all 3 situations I thought I was going to have great video and the big 4x4 and then the heavy antlered buck were absolutely crap.

This also where a treestand will help, cuz your line of sight to a deer is almost certainly going to be clear to your video target.

I was crushed when I screwed up on the heavy buck especially because the way he was chasing the doe, doing the lip phlegming was just so cool.
Besides the fact that he was an incredible buck that I decided to pass up.

But it was a small clump fo the yellow grass that ruined that video.

Manually focus.

Creeky....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 12-03-2023, 09:30 AM

^ Depending on what camera you have that could work.

But I'm using 'action cameras', Panasonic T7S and it's strictly an auto focus thing.

Besides with a situation with big game, they don't (often) stand and pose to give you time for manual focus.

And I'm self-filming and trying to hunt/shoot the critter.

If you had a dedicated camera man filming that's a completely different story.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.

Phil Shoemaker
Old 12-03-2023, 09:51 AM

Yeah not going to catch me self filming. Things often happen too fast already I am not adding a camera

I would likely toss the camera from my tree or leave it at home after loosing the first opportunity on a nice animal
Old 12-03-2023, 05:34 PM

Smoky I'd love to see your hunt/videos.

If you use a scoped rifle I made myself a dirt simple camera mount, using an Adel Clamp, it's a $0.50 electrical/conduit clamp, with a 1/4" bolt.

Mount that right on the rifle scope. On mine I had to add a few wraps of black hockey tape so the clamp would fit snugly enough.

And all these cameras take the same 1/4" bolt standard thread.

The bolt I used is only about 2", then it's locked on with a lock-nut, and a wing nut tightens the thing to hold the camera in position.

I use the exact same mount on my crossbow scope.

I've shot several animals now using this and have been able to film shooting a bull moose, whitetail buck (both last year) and 2 coyotes this year.

Especially hunting from a treestand as you do, and calling in deer.

You could def' pull this off.

I carry 2 identical Panasonic cameras, one on a tripod and then the second on my rifle/crossbow scope.

Lots of times I only have time to activate one camera, and there's other times it's not possible to activate either haha.

And in the 'buck of a life-time' thing, well you film if you can.

As to the mistakes I made this year, one thing I intend to do next year is to carry a taller tripod, in case I am hunting from the ground, to ensure the camera is not screwed up by grass/brush again.

Phil Shoemaker
Old 12-03-2023, 07:54 PM

I started playing around with a Tactacam.

I bought the Solo WiFi from Prophet River last year and shot my a buck with the crossbow with it this year. It says it has 3x zoom, but it is probably more like 1.5-2X. I aways wonder what they base the zoom off of.

Anyways, it was 45 y shot and you can clearly see the lighted bolt in flight and hit the buck.

The newer ones have better zoom and maybe a few other tools, but for me with the crossbow, the solo works.

WiFi is kind of useless unless at home and I would rather take out the micro SD card and download the videos to the computer.

It comes with one touch record, easy to use alignment with the different mounts for a bow, rifle/shotgun and crossbow.

I have tried my cheap action cameras from Amazon and they are good for the on the ground action, but without a zoom, pretty crappy for the actual hunt and shot

Tried my bridge camera and it is good IF I have time to set everything up in a stand or in a blind, but for just still hunting or sitting, they are a PITA!

Cheers

SS
Old 12-13-2023, 11:00 AM

@ creeky, I was looking at my little Panasonic today.

There is no manual focus setting, instead it has 5 options.

Face detect
Tracking
49 Area (Wide shot)
1 Area (Tight shot)
Spot

Naturally my cams were set to the default 49 Area, which is likely the worst setting to try to focus on a deer.

I'm thinking either Tracking or the 1 Area, would be the best.

But basically this camera is best at close range 'action' type shots and hardly ideal to track a whitetail cruising through the timber.

I've had pretty decent results with the Panasonic T7S, when I've rattled deer in close, when in the self-climber, or when I called in the bull moose... fishing... etc

Anyway I think I'm in the market for a video camera with manual zoom capability.

Phil Shoemaker
Old 12-14-2023, 08:37 AM

Quote:
@ creeky, I was looking at my little Panasonic today.

There is no manual focus setting, instead it has 5 options.

Face detect
Tracking
49 Area (Wide shot)
1 Area (Tight shot)
Spot

Naturally my cams were set to the default 49 Area, which is likely the worst setting to try to focus on a deer.

I'm thinking either Tracking or the 1 Area, would be the best.

But basically this camera is best at close range 'action' type shots and hardly ideal to track a whitetail cruising through the timber.

I've had pretty decent results with the Panasonic T7S, when I've rattled deer in close, when in the self-climber, or when I called in the bull moose... fishing... etc

Anyway I think I'm in the market for a video camera with manual zoom capability.

On the top of the line Panasonics (GH4 GH5) I had they called it manual focus but it was still electronic "focus by wire", really slow AF and never good.

Theres a really great european photographer that runs the Panasonic GH6 for video but switches to his Olympus OM1 (same lens) for run and gun stills work- stickiness thru thick brush on critters eyes w the Oly is incredible. Coupled with their "pro capture" feature its almost cheating.

From your pics I imagine your Panny has a much smaller form factor than Panasonics GH cameras but I would do some research, the video files they produce are gorgeous..

Back to your T7s, if its got face detect, it might have "animal eye detect".

Creeky....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 12-18-2023, 06:38 AM

I have a Tactacam solo with the 3X fixed lens, it's great for shotgun ranges out to about 50 yards and I use it when hunting ducks and geese, pic is clear but it does not have the anti vibration built in so it does jiggle a bit when you shoot. I had it mounted on my .223 and filmed a shot on a coyote at 122 yards, he was so small at that distance you really had to look to see him, but it was clear, I bought it at PR for $99 and it comes with all the mounts for scope, barrel, or bow.

I also have a Tactacam Solo Extreme with the 8X lense which is much better, it has the anti vibration built in, I shot a coyote again with the .223 at 110 yards and the dog looked way bigger than with the solo, at the shot the camera never waivered it will do just fine but again I think 150 yards is about the max for a nice picture. It was $239 but does not have any of the mounts but everything from the solo package works with the extreme also.

Old guys that are a bit technically challenged and forgetful make mistakes in the excitement of coyote calling, shot a double one morning but forgot to turn the camera on also shot one and thought man this is going to be a great film clip but still had the camera on WiFi mode so it was set on manual focus and it was blurry but hey I got my poop in a group now and got this all sorted out for next time

It's all good and it's just for my personal use so not big deal, I know that the Tactacam is not as good as the shot cam that Frank NK28 uses for goose shooting, he also sets up a go pro looking out over the decoy spread so get's 2 angles to edit and merge, I'm sure most of you on here have seen some of our goose hunts that he films, they are great.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 12-18-2023, 12:19 PM

Hey thanks for the info boys!

I've been watching Youtube reviews, Top 10 Camcorder lists etc...

Canon, Sony and Panasonic are the top 3 manufacturers of these compact Camcorders.

I def' want something 4K, I want one that can focus without blurring out!

Dual SD slots etc... huge battery.
3 cams I really like: Panasonic VX-981, Canon Vixia HF-G70 and Sony FDR-AX43.

There's a guy with an excellent YT channel, DJB Outdoors and he uses a Sony that produces great shots of deer cruising through the brush.
https://www.youtube.com/@djboutdoors6473

But I can wait, I really don't need to buy right now, as some new camera could be introduced this year right?

Also I haven't had time to really review each of these, and maybe there's something I haven't seen yet.

Phil Shoemaker
Old 12-18-2023, 01:21 PM

Well, whatever you get, we'll be looking forward to viewing whatever you capture on camera!
Old 12-18-2023, 06:30 PM

^ Well this is motivated by the absolute failures I had this year, trying to film 2 really nice bucks.

I decided to pass both, hoping for that monster, the second buck was likely the heaviest horned 4 pointer I've ever seen, and at the time I was thinking no problem, cuz I believed I was getting spectacular video of the buck.

Man he was something. I'm (probably) an idiot for not shooting that deer.

Phil Shoemaker
Old 01-06-2024, 08:23 PM

^ So in an earlier post I put down my video problems much too simplistically. And BETTER equipment is definitely at the top of the list, to improve my videos.

I've watched a LOT of YT vids on Camcorders and I finally decided to pull the pin on a Canon Vixia HF G70, 4k camcorder. It just seems to have the best features for what I want do.
Also ordered 4 extra batteries for it. Can't have too many b/u batteries!

And as Creeky had suggested, the G70 has a manual focus feature.

But it also has a 20x optical zoom, way beyond the digital 'zoom' of the little Panasonic Lumix.

I will continue to use the Panasonic. especially the rifle scope mounted cam.

Can't wait to get the G70 and test it out!

Phil Shoemaker
Old 01-07-2024, 05:41 PM

Good stuff, Demonical!

Looking forward to what you capture on camera this season.
Old 01-07-2024, 05:54 PM

^ Ya man I'm cranked!

I found 2 big buck honeyholes this year, and I've got huge expectations for 2024.

I'm overdue to put a big one on the ground!

Phil Shoemaker
Old 01-07-2024, 08:20 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. What a frustrating feeling when you watch the video and it's focused on something completely different than what you're looking at. Ah man just something else to fumble with.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2024, 11:56 PM

Any opinions on just using a GoPro?
Old 01-09-2024, 12:19 AM

Sorry I cannot comment on the current GoPro as I'm not familiar with the new gen GoPro's, and their capabilities.

I had a GoPro Hero but quit using it a few years back, when I switched to the Panasonic Lumix DC T7S cams that I'm currently using.

What I would say is any video camera is better than nothing, and you just bang 'em out and try to learn and improve.

One thing I absolutely love about my little Panasonics is that they are waterproof and very rugged.

I filmed the Adams River salmon run in BC and shot underwater footage, I've videoed Cutthroat trout underwater, on Cherry Creek BC.
I've also filmed underwater footage reeling in walleyes on the McLeod R.
So I'm definitely going to continue using them.
It's just gonna be that I'll now have 3 cameras on the go? Might be crazy! Lol.

The new camcorder I'm getting opens up a whole new learning curve for me.

Gonna be bigger, heavier, logistically more difficult due to the extra size.

But the biggest drawback to the Panasonic's, the zoom should be greatly improved.

Phil Shoemaker
Old 01-09-2024, 08:22 AM

Default Pro Features

Quote:
^ So in an earlier post I put down my video problems much too simplistically. And BETTER equipment is definitely at the top of the list, to improve my videos.

I've watched a LOT of YT vids on Camcorders and I finally decided to pull the pin on a Canon Vixia HF G70, 4k camcorder. It just seems to have the best features for what I want do.
Also ordered 4 extra batteries for it. Can't have too many b/u batteries!

And as Creeky had suggested, the G70 has a manual focus feature.

But it also has a 20x optical zoom, way beyond the digital 'zoom' of the little Panasonic Lumix.

I will continue to use the Panasonic. especially the rifle scope mounted cam.

Can't wait to get the G70 and test it out!

Had quick look at the specs & its got some nice professional features-xlr mic connections, vector scopes, zebras, manual focus and focus peaking.

If it has a remote control thingy, pick that up too.

Creeky....

Old 01-09-2024, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeky View Post
Had quick look at the specs & its got some nice professional features-xlr mic connections, vector scopes, zebras, manual focus and focus peaking.

If it has a remote control thingy, pick that up too.

Creeky....

For now I just bought extra batteries.
I know I want an external mic.

Not sure on some of the specs you mention, but it sounds good.

Simple stuff like the dual SD slots and USB-C connector really appealed to me.

Phil Shoemaker
Old 01-10-2024, 11:49 AM

Oh man did I get lucky today!

The wife's in a mood due to the weather(?) or maybe it's just normal, haha.

Anyway, my new Vixia HF G70, plus the extra batteries arrived on my doorstep this morning and the delivery dude didn't ring the doorbell! Woot!

So I was able to 'smuggle' the packages into the house without her knowing.

Words to live by: "What she doesn't know won't make her mad."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 01-10-2024, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Oh man did I get lucky today!

The wife's in a mood due to the weather(?) or maybe it's just normal, haha.

Anyway, my new Vixia HF G70, plus the extra batteries arrived on my doorstep this morning and the delivery dude didn't ring the doorbell! Woot!

So I was able to 'smuggle' the packages into the house without her knowing.

Words to live by: "What she doesn't know won't make her mad."
Yup, easier to ask for forgiveness rather than ask for permission...

I would sure like to do videos of my adventures.

With a considerably larger camera is a camera man or even a tripod with a camera remote needed? How does a guy hang on to a camera and take a shot? You' re not strapping a G70 to the barrel!
Old 01-10-2024, 04:09 PM

I mount one of the small Panasonic Lumix DC T7S right on my rifle scope.
I can easily switch it on and of course anything I'm scoping the camera is aimed right at it.

First impressions and comparison of the Canon HF G70 vs the Lumix.

The Canon is actually a pretty compact camcorder, not the smallest but it dwarfs the Lumix.

3"x9" and right at 2lbs, where the Lumix weighs less than a lb.

The logistics of packing the Canon is gonna be a whole 'nother ball game.

I will continue to carry both my Lumix cameras, the Canon is going to go on a nice tripod I've got.

New learning curve haha.

Phil Shoemaker

Last edited by Demonical; 01-10-2024 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-11-2024, 10:27 AM

Default Trigger Cam remotely/Vibration Reduction/Digital Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorboy10 View Post
Yup, easier to ask for forgiveness rather than ask for permission...

I would sure like to do videos of my adventures.

With a considerably larger camera is a camera man or even a tripod with a camera remote needed? How does a guy hang on to a camera and take a shot? You' re not strapping a G70 to the barrel!
Demonicals Canon is 20x or 1000mm and when u reach to punch record its going to take a second or so for vibrations to settle (@ 20x magnification) before his footage is sharp. With his camera set & locked off on a tripod the remote fixes that.

If setup for a buck following his nose into a tiny clearing checking a scrape/ alfalfa patch, the tripod mounted G70 (off to side) could be recording (by remote and paying attention) both Demonical and buck kill shot whilst his scope mounted Lumix captures from rifle scope position.

G70 has "Digital Zoom"-my Sonys digital zoom only works with the remote which I discovered by accident. My tele is 600mm and when I digi zoom in it reaches to 840mm if I need more reach I throw on a 1.4x tele which gives me 1176mm.

Its a learning curve, & powerful technology in a small footprint.

Creeky....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 01-11-2024, 10:41 AM

^ Well I just price checked... there is a remote controller available but the lowest price I see on it is $2300... holy crap!

No way I'm going to buy 1 unless there is HUGE drop in price.

https://www.cameracanada.com/product...x?pid=9660B001
^ there's one for 'just' $3300...

Phil Shoemaker
Old 01-11-2024, 11:15 AM

https://www.amazon.ca/Wired-Remote-C...31&sr=8-1&th=1

Looks like there is an after-market option, which is dirt cheap.

I will look into that one!

Phil Shoemaker
Old 01-11-2024, 09:21 PM

@ creeky, are you sing a wired remote or wireless?

I'm looking at a remote on Amazon that can be connected wirelessly or with a cord.
Looks like best one I've checked out so far.

Has good reviews.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0CJHX6S66/...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Phil Shoemaker
Old 01-12-2024, 07:27 AM

Default Wireless Remote

Quote:
@ creeky, are you sing a wired remote or wireless?

I'm looking at a remote on Amazon that can be connected wirelessly or with a cord.
Looks like best one I've checked out so far.

Has good reviews.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0CJHX6S66/...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Wireless.

Creeky....