Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-01-2024, 11:06 PM

Default Antlerless elk tag 527

Hey everyone,
I just want to double check in this to make sure, I may yet call F&G if no one is able to help me out lol.
I am looking to purchase an undersuscribed antlerless elk tag in 527. Can I simply purchase one or do I need to hold a general elk tag to do so? I know with moose we can simply buy the undersusbribed bull moose tag.

Thanks for your help,
Old 01-01-2024, 11:24 PM

You can simply buy an undersubscribed antlerless elk tag.

With moose, you cannot purchase an undersubscribed antlered moose tag if you have already bought a general tag.
Old 01-02-2024, 04:08 PM

What he said
Old 01-02-2024, 07:11 PM

Default Thought so

Thank you, that’s what I thought.
Old 01-08-2024, 11:10 PM

Default Antlerless Elk Tag 527

Hmmm… that’s what you thought in regards to purchasing an undersubscribed elk tag? How about purchasing undersubscribed moose tag again? Please and again I say… PLEASE read the Hunting Regs as well as the Draw Booklet first.
Old 01-09-2024, 10:57 PM

Default Elk question..not moose question

I knew that I could buy an undersuscribed moose tag on it’s own, as I have done so previously. I don’t apply for special draws, and already knew the moose information from a few years ago when we first moved to AB. I asked about the elk after I read through all the regulations because I had seen a post at some point on here about having or not having a general licence for elk which I thought I read was a change to how undersuscribed elk tags were done in the past.

I do read the regs quite often on a side note, I browse through the various sections as things change. I also have a young fella who is starting out and we have a copy of the regs in the truck as well as in the garage and on our phones.

Sorry if this sounds grumbly, but when someone tells me to “read the regs”, without any idea of who I am as a person or outdoorsman… it erks a bit.

I probably didn’t word the moose part right. I knew that I couldn’t buy an undersubscribed tag if I had a moose tag already. What I meant for elk was did I need a general to buy an undersubscribed…as I thought I read this on this site at one time.

Last edited by Hunter3006; 01-09-2024 at 11:03 PM.
Old 01-09-2024, 11:18 PM

The moose part was a bit confusing but the elk question was pretty clear, haha. You can buy either one or both as of… last year? Or two years ago? Now I am confused, lol. Regardless, it was one of the better changes in a while.

People seem to be pretty uptight lately. Don’t mind them and don’t take it personally, Hunter3006. Good luck hunting and post a thread if you get that elk!
Old 01-10-2024, 05:30 PM

Don’t sweat the peanut gallery. Let us know if you have any success. Good luck.