Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-06-2024, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
What size of buckshot?
He says in the video description single buck
Old 01-06-2024, 05:36 PM

Good calling, impressive shooting with the pump and good on him for thinning a few out, the big game in the area will appreciate it!!

Last edited by 7magtime; 01-06-2024 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-06-2024, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post
Good calling, impressive shooting with the pump and good on him for thinning a few out, the big game in the area will appreciate it!!
I always chuckle when the "conservationists' whine that one of their favorite Park pets has wandered out and paid the price.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 01-06-2024, 11:26 PM

My son is a humble man and you won't see him boasting on any social media. He puts videos out so others can be inspired and challenged to do the same.

In the first video he does not explain that when he was focused on the wolf coming down the line, he never knew a wolf was also in the bush until he heard a trig snap. Once he saw that wolf looking at him, thats when he committed to very fast shooting. Anyone who calls in coyotes to shotgun range knows how fast things can happen, so they are great practice. We hunt a lot of coyotes, so that helped him out.
So how does he do it????? He simply puts in a lot of time, from reloading custom loads specifically for wolves, lots and lots of practice shooting fast targets, and then days in the bush. Like anything, if you put in the effort, reward will eventually come.
The comment about maybe a shotgun being under powered for wolves, is a fair statement, but like any ethical hunter, you have to know your limits, and your guns limits. How many guys would have taken the 75 yard shot in hopes of making there first shotgun wolf kill? He stays within his preset limits. He got three complete pass though on the 63 yard shot wolf. Yep, he is loading them as hot as possible. He also uses a Red Dot sight, which he believes gives him a slight advantage as well. We've both shot wolves with rifles, and even though we have never lost a wolf we have hit, we do believe they are the toughest animals to put down. We've had a few long and tricky tracking jobs. Another skill all hunters should be developing.
I believe all dedicated wolf hunters are slowly learning how to call wolves and respond to their calls. We are getting some traction, but just when we think we have some insight, those wolves either bust us, give us the slip, or just go quiet. The big challenge with wolves, is they can be anywhere, and no where. Your chances are few so you have to make the best of every opportunity. This fact turns most want to be wolf hunters into giving up. The fact that other than these wolves, we have our best success is -20 or colder weather. That alone, scares off all but the crazies, or determined. With all of the time I put in over the 'Christmas break,I never had a sighting, but thats wolf hunting. I won't give up.
I'll pass on all your moments to him, I know he will appreciate you responding with good constructive comments and accolades.
Old 01-07-2024, 10:50 AM

These were awesome to watch. Thanks for sharing. Quite an accomplishment for your boy.
Old 01-07-2024, 11:35 AM

The double double is amazing.

Now for the triple triple.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 01-07-2024, 11:49 AM

Were not worthy, wicked wolf kills. Congrats and thanks for posting.
Old 01-11-2024, 08:46 PM

Beauty work & utmost respect to your son & you. Keep up the awesome tradition!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 01-12-2024, 08:51 AM

Thumbs up

Crazy good skills. Congrats to your son, that’s an epic achievement.
Old 01-12-2024, 10:46 AM

Well those were exciting and impressive. Congrats to your son. He has great skill as a wolf hunter.

BW
Old 01-12-2024, 05:34 PM

Thanks for all the comments. We hope this gives some of you the motivation to get out and pound one or two of your own. We need more predator hunters to help out some of our ungulates.
Old 01-12-2024, 06:44 PM

Amazing! Congrats! What a skilled marksman he is!
Old 01-12-2024, 08:40 PM

Default you mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo Snukkle View Post
He says in the video description single buck
#1 buck .30 caliber........single buck doesn't exist.All sizes in numbers except SSG. English and US sizing is different to say the least.
Old 01-13-2024, 04:20 AM

Default #0 Buckshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
#1 buck .30 caliber........single buck doesn't exist.All sizes in numbers except SSG. English and US sizing is different to say the least.
In the video description he say single aught so I think that would be #0 or .32 caliber buckshot

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-13-2024, 07:17 AM

Awesome shooting skills with the scatter gun and EXCITING videos to say the least. Has to be super rewarding to call them in that close and seal the deal on two doubles.
Old 01-13-2024, 07:22 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

I enjoy humble people....they just get things done!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-16-2024, 11:06 AM

Amazing shooting! Very impressive, considering he's trying to be as low and silent as possible.
Old 01-16-2024, 07:03 PM

Great video, thanks for sharing. That was a fantastic double on the wolf that snuck in from behind. I had the same thing happen once but I wasn't as alert as your son and didn't hear or see it, and only saw his tracks after he had went back to the pack and led them away while I tried to figure out why they hung up at 300 yds.

Gerry Burnie