Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-11-2024, 10:37 AM

Default Coyotes Get A Break

To cold for even a die hard coyote hunter like me, -41 wind chill this morning so they get a break for about a week or so till this arctic high moves on

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-11-2024, 01:35 PM

Apparently it’s not cold enough, lol! Saw a few posts today on FB Alberta Coyote hunters about a few guys going out in a -35C weather to shoot some dogs. Sorry, not for me, I’m too chicken, lol!
Old 01-11-2024, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Apparently it’s not cold enough, lol! Saw a few posts today on FB Alberta Coyote hunters about a few guys going out in a -35C weather to shoot some dogs. Sorry, not for me, I’m too chicken, lol!
I always figure it's the best time to go, tough pickings make an easier prey.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 01-11-2024, 02:00 PM

3 today in the snares, dress for it the weather is bearable ..

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2024, 02:12 PM

I’m pondering going out for the next three days. Pondering. I had a very sour taste put in my mouth a couple or three years ago. Dirty cold snap and I figured it would be on like Donkey Kong. Not so. I went 6 days consecutive and did not call in one coyote. Not one. I’ve been a lot less enthusiastic about calling in the doldrums since then. The cold doesn’t bother me much. I can dress for it easy enough but, the juice must be worth the squeeze for this guy. If fur was worth anything, I’d perhaps think differently. For today, I’ll enjoy being by the wood stove.
Old 01-11-2024, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
I’m pondering going out for the next three days. Pondering. I had a very sour taste put in my mouth a couple or three years ago. Dirty cold snap and I figured it would be on like Donkey Kong. Not so. I went 6 days consecutive and did not call in one coyote. Not one. I’ve been a lot less enthusiastic about calling in the doldrums since then. The cold doesn’t bother me much. I can dress for it easy enough but, the juice must be worth the squeeze for this guy. If fur was worth anything, I’d perhaps think differently. For today, I’ll enjoy being by the wood stove.
This is my experiences as well (though my experience is extremely limited, all weather including). I have never seen a dog in the cold like this though and always thought it was counterintuitive.
Old 01-11-2024, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
This is my experiences as well (though my experience is extremely limited, all weather including). I have never seen a dog in the cold like this though and always thought it was counterintuitive.
Don’t get me wrong. It’s not a hard and fast rule by any means. I remember a day many years ago that was -42C ambient. It was plain old stupid to be driving around looking for coyotes. But we saw over 50 that day. I suspect the amount of snow is a direct relation as well. How much effort they have to put forth responding. I dunno. The day before, day of and day a snap breaks is generally when I go nowadays.
Old 01-11-2024, 03:35 PM

When it gets this cold a fellow can get into trouble pretty easy. For this old fart with a bad hip, I'll stay home and dream of better days.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-11-2024, 05:26 PM

I have always figured they holed up in dens and culverts in extreme cold. Have shot the odd one at -22 or so on sunny windless days when they havent eaten for days and weather gets relatively warmer
Old 01-11-2024, 05:44 PM

As much as I like shooting coyotes I don’t go calling if it’s below -20 now.
Old 01-11-2024, 06:49 PM

Iv had some great days calling in extreme cold but only when it's been cold for a while and if there's no wind. Even a mild breeze when it's this cold seems to lock coyotes up. Now Tuesday on the other hand forecast for -10 right after a huge cold snap. Strongly considering calling in sick from work.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 01-13-2024, 06:08 AM

Yup I have had some good luck calling when it's cold like this back when I was working we hunted every weekend no matter the weather, they were $100 dogs then, I can't take the cold anymore like I used to and the dogs are now worthless, add that to the fact that every weekend for me is now 7 days long I'll wait for warmer day's.

Old 01-13-2024, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
3 today in the snares, dress for it the weather is bearable ..

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Beautiful picture, you're always getting those silky white coyotes, congrats !
Old 01-13-2024, 11:00 AM

I really like calling in this weather as I’ve found they really come in cause they’re super hungry. But I keep em short. 15 minutes maybe. They’re in by then or not in the right spot. They’ll come hard. Dress for it and don’t get too sweaty
Old 01-13-2024, 11:03 AM

How do you guys keep your hands warm calling in weather like this.
Old 01-13-2024, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Beaver gauntlets for my walk in and out. Some sort of insulated glove from Cabela’s while I’m on stand. I had a power bank that doubled as a hand warmer that was unreal in a hand warmer pocket but it was stolen. A baked potato is a fine hand warmer too. Three layers of foil. I put it in a wool sock and then into my hand warmer pouch. It’s hours of great heat.
Old 01-13-2024, 12:02 PM

I bought a pair of Cabelas Instinct stand hunter gloves in a X-LARGE so I can wear a wool liner inside but find my hands still get cold.

Lou do you find the sour cream and bacon bits get all over your clothes when packing a baked potato?
Old 01-13-2024, 12:08 PM

I don't even break out the tent and heater and ice fish in these temps any longer. Yotes get a free pass once waterfowl season ends...
Old 01-13-2024, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I don’t use my electronics much in this kind of weather, and using hand calls usually keeps my hand warm enough. I’ll wear a light cotton glove inside a pair of gauntlets. I switch hands every other time I let a distress or howl out. I’m usually good to go. I’ve used those light weather mechanix gloves and they’ll do the trick.
My biggest thing is trying not to get too sweaty getting into a stand. Getting wet and sitting in -40 is recipe for a nasty cold. Full body one piece lined coveralls are pretty nice, with a two piece coverup. A good white cotton sheet over top works well, and they’re usually only a dollar at any thrift store.

Anybody heading out this weekend? I’ve seen 5 coyotes in with my cows and the in-laws. I think they’d come in hard.
Old 01-13-2024, 01:00 PM

Quote:
I bought a pair of Cabelas Instinct stand hunter gloves in a X-LARGE so I can wear a wool liner inside but find my hands still get cold.

Lou do you find the sour cream and bacon bits get all over your clothes when packing a baked potato?
I just sprinkle on some Epicure Cheese Dip mix. Saves the mess with conventional condiments.
Old 01-13-2024, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotecaller View Post

Anybody heading out this weekend? I’ve seen 5 coyotes in with my cows and the in-laws. I think they’d come in hard.
You keep your in-laws out with the cows?
I’ll bet they’d come in hard (like frozen stiff!)
Old 01-13-2024, 01:09 PM

My biggest problem in this cold is glasses! Can’t see poop when they fog up like sob! Have the good face mask that covers the tip of my nose but the breath will freeze the glasses. Damn!
Old 01-13-2024, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
My biggest problem in this cold is glasses! Can’t see poop when they fog up like sob! Have the good face mask that covers the tip of my nose but the breath will freeze the glasses. Damn!
Have you ever tried one of those breath diverter type things? Like what you’d find in a snowmobile helmet. I’ve often thought about this as I sometimes like to wear sunglasses and suffer from the same fogging issues.
Old 01-13-2024, 01:24 PM

I shot a coyote in my yard....contacted a couple of guys who used to be in the game. Can't even give it away!
Old 01-13-2024, 01:31 PM

Many years ago I used to do my best coyote hunting when it was the coldest. Would hunt around the dead piles at feed lots. They would lose the most cattle when it was very cold. Coyotes knew it and I would just hide out 50 -75 yards out from the dead piles.That was back in the day when alberta processors would collect from the dead piles. Pre BSE days
Old 01-13-2024, 02:32 PM

Be careful with your lungs.
It's cold enough to burn and kill tissue in your lungs.

Being "tough" in this kind of cold is sometimes just being stupid.
I know, froze my lungs hunting Wainwright in this kind of weather years ago.
I was more worried about my hands and feet.
Dumb mistake that I didn't realize until a few days later.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 01-17-2024, 05:21 AM

Was going to go out yesterday but I am a bit under the weather so decided to hold off for a day or so, the wind was a little raw here yesterday -32 wind chill

Old 01-17-2024, 06:27 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

When I was into predator hunting hard to make a few more dollars in the 1990’s I use to luv calling after a big cold snap or storm....many multiple kills on various sits in one day.

Little 17 Remington was just deadly

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-17-2024, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
You keep your in-laws out with the cows?
I’ll bet they’d come in hard (like frozen stiff!)
That’s why my in-laws don’t like me much.
Old 01-18-2024, 05:46 PM

Went out with a buddy today, man that wind was raw, 4 sets 1 dog and that was not even by calling, sat up on a hill on the edge of a big pasture to have our lunch, was having my tea and I spotted a coyote along the bush line, ranged it at 525 yards, buddy pulled out his 6.5 CM, dialed it up and held 2 MOA for wind, the yote stopped for a second and bang, flop, dead Yote.

I really don't like calling when it's that cold and windy, we had NW @ 30km which dropped the wind chill to -36, those 30 minute sits while calling are hard on this old guy.

On the way home we were going along a fence line in a stubble field to make one last set up and went by a small slough no more than 50 yards wide, 5 coyotes broke out on the dead run across the field, wild they were all huddled in that small slough full of cat tails, I assume to get out of the wind.

All in all a good day, any day I'm out hunting is a good day