Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-26-2018, 11:34 PM

Default Alberta Bowhunters Association- are you a member?

I’m looking into the ABA, just curious how many people here are members. What is your reason for joining? I have checked out the website, just hoping to gather a little more info/opinions on it.

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2018, 04:35 AM

Great people , great organization have been a member sinse 1997
Old 03-27-2018, 05:03 AM

Default Nope.

And never will be.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:51 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
And never will be.
Me neither....too long a list to vent so I will let others....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-27-2018, 06:56 AM

Yes I am an active member.

http://nebula.wsimg.com/268b4ca2fc00...&alloworigin=1

LC
Old 03-27-2018, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
X2

I think it is a great association with a lot of direct and indirect benefits
Old 03-27-2018, 07:07 AM

Default Yes great organization

Not sure why there would be any negative comments or connotations to this organization. I’ve been a member for about 10 years and never had any concerns.

Just like any conservation minded organizations as they with proper facts and consideration keep the wants and wishes of the majority membership in the forefront with government and other stake holders in Alberta and not just for Bowhunters alone but all interest groups.

We are all hunters and sometimes we need to make tough choices to support certain hunting and or wildlife related issues in the province to ensure fair and equal opportunity exists for all hunters and future generations. I’m a member of a few similar organizations and in order to combat the antis, we need to be united in our fight so we can keep our rights as hunters and outdoors people so why not add your voice to anyone that will go to bat with government and ensure our hunting rights are intact and fair for all groups?
Old 03-27-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpslayer View Post
Not sure why there would be any negative comments or connotations to this organization. I’ve been a member for about 10 years and never had any concerns.

Just like any conservation minded organizations as they with proper facts and consideration keep the wants and wishes of the majority membership in the forefront with government and other stake holders in Alberta and not just for Bowhunters alone but all interest groups.

We are all hunters and sometimes we need to make tough choices to support certain hunting and or wildlife related issues in the province to ensure fair and equal opportunity exists for all hunters and future generations. I’m a member of a few similar organizations and in order to combat the antis, we need to be united in our fight so we can keep our rights as hunters and outdoors people so why not add your voice to anyone that will go to bat with government and ensure our hunting rights are intact and fair for all groups?

Hmmmm one side of the fence, I am a bow hunter, have been since 1992, enjoy, invite all forms of bow hunting to take place in harmony from traditional to compound to crossbows not the case with this group but hey we all have choices and yes I will speak out to the anti's but they are like cancers...always popping up even in healthy organizations...now the OP got me...hook, line and sinker....this ones gonna be a stinker just wait until the folks roll out of the farts sacks....check in later.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:20 AM

If the ABA considered XCross-Bows as being directly related to Archery rather than as a Firearm I could support them. Their selfish anti X-Bow lobbying puts me in the opposite camp.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpslayer View Post

X2 very well said. I plan to get my life time membership next year when this three year membership expires.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:03 AM

I will not support a group that takes hunting opportunity away from others.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
I will not support a group that takes hunting opportunity away from others.
If Crossbows were allowed during archery only season then that very thing would happen. Who would be to blame then?

The “archery” piece of pie would need to grow at the expense of the “general season” Hunter. Are the general only hunters willing to give over some of their pie?

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 03-27-2018 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
If Crossbows were allowed during archery only season then that very thing would happen. Who would be to blame then?

The “archery” piece of pie would need to grow at the expense of the “general season” Hunter. Are the general only hunters willing to give over some of their pie?

LC
The zone I mostly hunt is September to the end of October for archery, then November for General season. Considering only 18% of hunters are archers I would say there is no need to take from the general season. But, I wasn't really complaining about crossbows not being allowed in the archery season. We all know Mister Brent started the ban on spears and atlatl's.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
The zone I mostly hunt is September to the end of October for archery, then November for General season. Considering only 18% of hunters are archers I would say there is no need to take from the general season. But, I wasn't really complaining about crossbows not being allowed in the archery season. We all know Mister Brent started the ban on spears and atlatl's.
Add crossbows to archery and 18% will grow substantially, then those folks will
Need more pie to get everyone fed.

Once a proposal is submitted...it lasts one round of resolutions and then is dead... the ABA never submitted another proposal after the original they were ASKED to draft by AGMAG. Look elsewhere for spear blame. Even the Atlatl group feels there should be a minimum requirement, but I don’t believe they submitted information supporting one.

LC
Old 03-27-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:

LC
Now it's a "pie" .. that you guys are unwilling to share. .. and a rather choice pie it is. ! We get the crumbs. If that is anything other than pure, selfish BS I don't know what is.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Now it's a "pie" .. that you guys are unwilling to share. .. and a rather choice pie it is. ! We get the crumbs. If that is anything other than pure, selfish BS I don't know what is.
I think that is an unfair statement. If I understand your comments thus far correctly, you want the regulations changed so you can use a crossbow in the archery season because you can't shoot a compound/traditional bow at the weight that YOU want to.

I'm sure my 76 year old grandfather would love to still shoot 70 lbs but like you he can not due to age and loss in muscle. So he has accepted that and now shoots 43 lbs and does quite will doing so.

It's all about playing in side the rules and not changing the rules for a few so they can do what they want.

That is how I see it.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSS View Post
I think that is an unfair statement. If I understand your comments thus far correctly, you want the regulations changed so you can use a crossbow in the archery season because you can't shoot a compound/traditional bow at the weight that YOU want to.

I'm sure my 76 year old grandfather would love to still shoot 70 lbs but like you he can not due to age and loss in muscle. So he has accepted that and now shoots 43 lbs and does quite will doing so.

It's all about playing in side the rules and not changing the rules for a few so they can do what they want.

That is how I see it.
Agree, this weekend we watched a grandmother of 71 years old who started bow hunting at 68 get two awards...it was outstanding. Her arrow at 41 pounds draw weight passed through a moose at 32 yards.

LC
Old 03-27-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Lol...it’s always been a pie. We have 15% to share...amongst 18% of hungry folks.. Doesn’t it make sense to have the group with 85% share their pie?

See if the 85% are willing to give up some of their pie...Clearly you don’t like pie.

Here is a question, if you could draw 40lbs (or 35lbs) would you? Or is it all or nothing for you?

LC
Old 03-27-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Lol...it’s always been a pie. We have 15% to share...amongst 18% of hungry folks.. Doesn’t it make sense to have the group with 85% share their pie?

See if the 85% are willing to give up some of their pie...Clearly you don’t like pie.

Here is a question, if you could draw 40lbs (or 35lbs) would you? Or is it all or nothing for you?

LC
So the 18% of archers should only be entitled to 18% of the hunting seasons then, Right?
Old 03-27-2018, 09:59 AM

Lefty, I agree with you 100% in regards to the crossbow topic. Ill back you any day on that.

As far as the spear conversation, I think its safe to say that the ABA is cleared from the blame. With the research ive done so far, I agree with the ABA not fighting tooth and nail for the use of spears, because its not their fight. The ABA is about bowhunting and I believe we as bowhunters have enough battles.

I personally would like to see more archery only zones opened up. With the increased popularity of the sport and I believe that it would be an effective conservation strategy to allow game populations to grow/stabilize in some areas.

Can someone tell me where the $500 for the ABA lifetime membership goes?
Old 03-27-2018, 09:41 AM

The whole cross bow in bow season arguments are so tired.
The disabled and elderly should get their chance with them in bow season. That's common sense.
I rifle hunt and bow hunt. There's absolutely no way I would want to see xbows in bow season. Last year I had 2 bucks bust me on the draw. My own dumb fault yes. However with a crossbow I would have easily filled my Strathcona tags beyond the shadow of a doubt. Eliminating the noise and motion of the draw and holding (yes with substantial let off) the drawn bow for an extended period is a hefty challenge. The vertical component of a compound bow is an asset. However, a pre-loaded crossbow laying on the hay bale I was behind with perfect rest would have been optimum.
Another aspect is increased harvest in bow season. Now we go to draws for a lot of zones due to higher harvest rates. Pretty simple math. I don't believe thats elitist or entitlement at all. The bow season is magical. Let the folks who physically cannot draw a compound participate with a crossbow and you have perfect balance. For the rifle only guys you can do what I and thousands like me have done- take advantage of an amazing time of year and buy a compound bow. Equal opportunity- everyone wins.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Imagine what the traditional archers said when the first compound entered the archery seen, now the compound archers are saying the same thing....archery....harmony....all bows.

I hunted with a Hawkins then ran into a fella with a inline/scoped...was a little baffled at first but said hey its a muzzleloader and we all shared the pie. Not the case with the ABA.

Old 03-27-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Imagine what the traditional archers said when the first compound entered the archery seen, now the compound archers are saying the same thing....archery....harmony....all bows.

I hunted with a Hawkins then ran into a fella with a inline/scoped...was a little baffled at first but said hey its a muzzleloader and we all shared the pie. Not the case with the ABA.
LMAO...yah ok.

Spin it however you want crossbows do not meet the current definition of “archery” in Alberta. P&Y doesn’t recognize it...Archery Canada doesn’t recognize it... because it isn’t.

Funny how the part I mentioned about the ABA speaking up in support of cougar hunting was missed in all of this...the only organization who stands up for cougar and predator hunting I guess.

Sound ridiculous? Well it is but it’s exactly how you are stating what you are saying.

LC
Old 03-28-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z7shooter View Post
I’m looking into the ABA, just curious how many people here are members. What is your reason for joining? I have checked out the website, just hoping to gather a little more info/opinions on it.

Thanks!
OP, hopefully you've got somewhat of an idea as to who here belongs to the ABA.

I just can't believe that your original question derailed into a 5 page argument over crossbows and ABA's support (or no support) of them..... And yes, I did take part of that derail, but only once.

I guess my question is: Z7, did you get any additional information about the ABA that you deem valuable?

J.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:59 PM

Some of the info from our Brochure:

“In 1956, the Alberta Bowhunters and Archers Association formed and the number one goal of this new association was to legalize bowhunting in the Province of Alberta. This goal was achieved in 1957 and in 1958 a bowhunter named Ray Anderson harvested the first legal animal in the province of Alberta with a bow and arrow – a cow elk with a Howard Hill Longbow. Soon after the first "Bow and Arrow Only" zone was established in WMU 410 (the still famous Canmore Bowzone) and that was followed by two more zones around the cities of Edmonton and Calgary. Over the next few years, other significant changes were made - bowhunters were allowed to wear camo clothing, seasons were lengthened for bowhunters, the use of aluminum arrows was allowed, archery only pre-seasons were established, an archery antelope season. By working with stakeholders and government, additional bowhunting opportunities continued to be added and that holds true to this day.

It is not by accident that Alberta has the most envied archery season of any province in Canada. It has taken years of dedicated work by members of the Alberta Bowhunters Association to accomplish this. The opportunities that exist for bowhunters have in one way or another been touched by the ABA at some point in time.”

- “In 1974, the Government instituted a Bowhunting license (stamp) to better count the number of bowhunters in the province and the first year there were 34 bowhunters licensed in the province. This number doubled the next year and with the phenomenal growth over the years we had almost 23,000 bowhunters in the province of Alberta in 2017.”

- ABA Program Participation, attends government/stakeholder meetings regarding Fish & Wildlife regulation change and policy development.”

ABA Support of 3D Archery. – The ABA recognizes the value of 3D archery and supports, through donations, ABA affiliated clubs and other major 3D archery shoots that have a bowhunting theme in a 3D shoot.

Last edited by Gun; 03-28-2018 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:11 PM

I was one of those that attending the Parkland meeting. Those numbers may be close if you're guessing.

It is part of the Bowzone and we didn't like to see more shotgun/muzzleloader season.

The local biologist said at the time that there were 1.5 deer per square mile in the area. Those numbers didn't require a increase in harvest.

What I don't understand is all the hostility from people over us having 3 bow only WMU's in the province out of how many? Seriously?! If you want to hunt there learn how to shoot a bow and knock on some doors.

Just be patient tho as you will probably see Crossbows included into the bow season before long. Manufacturers will not quit selling them.

Pope and Young has caved in on more than one technical advancement over the years. Part of the reason I no longer support them after 30+ years as member and measurer. And yes I support other organizations besides ABA.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun View Post
I was one of those that attending the Parkland meeting. Those numbers may be close if you're guessing.

It is part of the Bowzone and we didn't like to see more shotgun/muzzleloader season.

The local biologist said at the time that there were 1.5 deer per square mile in the area. Those numbers didn't require a increase in harvest.

What I don't understand is all the hostility from people over us having 3 bow only WMU's in the province out of how many? Seriously?! If you want to hunt there learn how to shoot a bow and knock on some doors.

Just be patient tho as you will probably see Crossbows included into the bow season before long. Manufacturers will not quit selling them.

Pope and Young has caved in on more than one technical advancement over the years. Part of the reason I no longer support them after 30+ years as member and measurer. And yes I support other organizations besides ABA.
My personal concern is that I live in the Bowzone, own property here and have access to a lot more. It is my backyard yet I have some ABA guys suggesting that I travel a bit and take "advantage " of all the opportunities that I have at my disposal to use my X-Bow.
I really care less about P&Y, but I have been an active member of Conservation groups for decades and currently support others.

When a particular Lobby group, namely ABA, in the name of selfishness, takes valued hunting opportunities away from me , I am PO'd... even to the point of appearing hostile, especially since I have hunted this area long before it became a "Bow Zone". So now you confirm that ABA didn't feel they wanted an additional shotgun /ML season as you (ABA) thought the Deer numbers didn't warrant one. I call BS about the Deer numbers. They were becoming a major Road Hazard at that time and that was the gist of the Parkland public meeting. It was all about the protectionist position that ABA has about Parkland Bow zone in particular. As to my estimate of the numbers at that particular Parkland meeting, I'm glad you concur. Thank You. It was stacked by ABA.
I'm not speaking only about myself here. There are quite a few other Parkland residents that feel exactly the same way.

Last edited by Salavee; 03-28-2018 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:49 PM

So you are upset you can’t use a crossbow in your backyard. I get that as being a reason for your hostile nature. You wanted something and it didn’t go your way. 15 years of hostility...

LC
Old 03-29-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:

Curious as too why you left Pope and Young Club, probably the strongest supporter of Bowhunting in North America. Only technilogical advancements that I am aware of that they have changed were 1: increasing letoff from 65% to 80% 2: allowing a lighted nock and 3: allowing recording devices ie camera or phone to be attached to bow. none of which impact ethical bowhunting
I'm assuming ABA supports the use of these three changes Yes/No ??
Old 04-11-2018, 09:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Just be patient tho as you will probably see Crossbows included into the bow season before long. Manufacturers will not quit selling them..
There’s no doubt in my mind that it’s going to happen despite the ABA doing everything possible to stop it. It won’t happen because of manufacturers though, it’ll happen because that’s what hunters want and it’s the right thing to do.

The ABA lobbying to reduce the # for compound bows might sound like a nice compromise but, sorry, it ain’t gonna hold it off. It seems like a move out of desperation to me.

In the end the ABA is still going to be known as the association that fought against hunters. This might appeal to bow only hunters but no one else.