Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-23-2018, 01:30 PM

Default Still-water Walleye Flies?

Hey Folks,

I just moved up to Athabasca, and prior to this, I've always targeted trout on the fly. What sort of flies should I be using to target still-water walleye? I'm thinking large streamers, minnow and leach patterns?

Anything else I should add?

Also,is the Athabasca River worth fishing on the fly, or does it usually stay pretty cloudy in the fall?

Thanks for any tips!

J
Old 03-23-2018, 02:26 PM

I've had success whith deceivers, chartreus/white on a #4 hook.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:38 PM

DDH leech
Old 03-23-2018, 03:42 PM

Hi

Back when I lived in northern Ontario I had a lot of walleye success on the fly using techniques similar to Stillwater trout fishing - slow retrieve woolly buggers, worms, deceivers, clousers and worm patterns under slip indicators. I also did well in certain lakes with gummy minnows and micro leeches in maroon and black.

Good luck
Old 03-24-2018, 09:14 AM

Balanced leech is a winner. But also large, 4-6” flashabou decievers worked really well Last spring for me.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:29 AM

Clousers,,, leech patterns and wholly buggers weighted with either cone heads or lead eyes.

Tie em up in your favorite walleye jig colours (for me that is white, black, pumpkin (pheasant rump) or yellow,,, with few orange just becuz) and you have flyfishing's answer to the walleye jig.

I prefer short (2- 4 foot leaders) on fast sinking lines and sink tips over floating lines with long leaders, cuz they are easier to cast and handle the heavily weighted flies with.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:53 PM

Smile

Clousers, sculpin, skull heads, wooly buggers. These are some of the one's that I have the best luck with. I have used the sculpin and the Clouser mostly and had some good success with them.

Here are a few that I tie for walleye.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sculpin 1 .jpg (29.1 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg Sculpin 2 .jpg (102.2 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg Walleye selection .jpg (30.9 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg Yellow clouser .jpg (77.7 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg Sparkle clouser .jpg (71.7 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg green skull head.jpg (88.4 KB, 227 views)
Old 03-29-2018, 08:57 AM

Thanks everyone for the tips! Time to start padding my fly box in preparation for the upcoming open water season!
Old 04-05-2018, 11:58 AM

Default Still water walleye flies

I live on a river for six weeks with lots of walleye, always used the regular jigs and gear---For sure this year I will have my fly rod and try some of your suggested gear--Thanks.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:36 PM

These flies are all great for sure, but the biggest factor to me is the line you are going to use. If I'm chasing walleye, lake or river, I always switch to my sinking line. And always out fish my buddy who decides not to bring his sinking line and just use weighted flies or weights on the line. He never learns...
Sure you will catch them but that guy using the sinking line will out fish you 2 to 1, easily, due to the more natural presentation it provides....and hugging just above the bottom made easier as well.

I've never fished the AthB for walleye but I imagine that river being one of the better ones for some sizable wallies.

Good luck!
Old 04-05-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallen1817 View Post
Thanks everyone for the tips! Time to start padding my fly box in preparation for the upcoming open water season!
For the record, most of the walleye I catch are on 3/0 red-n-white pike bunnies (obviously not intentional).

When i specifically target them, I would say that olive-n-white clousers and olive zonkers are the most productive. For clousers, i find smaller to be a little better---tied on a sz8 3XL hook.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:45 AM

Default Sinking line

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
These flies are all great for sure, but the biggest factor to me is the line you are going to use. If I'm chasing walleye, lake or river, I always switch to my sinking line. And always out fish my buddy who decides not to bring his sinking line and just use weighted flies or weights on the line. He never learns...
Sure you will catch them but that guy using the sinking line will out fish you 2 to 1, easily, due to the more natural presentation it provides....and hugging just above the bottom made easier as well.

I've never fished the AthB for walleye but I imagine that river being one of the better ones for some sizable wallies.

Good luck!
Wouldnt have though a sinking line-----On it--thanks.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:35 AM

I would tie on a 1/4oz lead head chronomid on a long shank hook. Next I tip it with a imitation muddler minnow of the frozen variety.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:37 PM

They also love large bead head Prince Nymphs.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 04-08-2018, 01:30 AM

For stillwater walleye you'd be hard pressed to fiND something that produces better then a pink zonked on intermediate line. It's all about how you fish the fly because iv caught them off nymph's before aswell