Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-14-2020, 09:12 PM

Default First Steelhead

https://youtu.be/pDkYDN4YIA8

I caught my first Steelhead Fishing the Vedder River this year March 2020 and it only took me about 20 minutes if you could believe it. I was using a Pink Worm by Mad River Tackle. I only fished a couple of runs quickly before I had a bobber go down. I thought I may have hit bottom, but on a subsequent cast the float disappeared and it was FISH ON!!! After a few jumps I pulled this hatchery steelhead up out of the water. I was shocked and pretty much in dismay. I was so excited I was shaking and could hardly hold the phone steady. Well this video shows that aftermath.

BONUS video though because Rod from "Fishing with Rod" was down at the river and we got together after. I just stood around and watched him fish since I had my one fish which means I no longer fish that day. Rod had several hits and findally hooked up on a great fish. I caught the action on my cellphone again as I was not expecting to video this day.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 04-15-2020, 06:54 AM

Congrats on your first steelhead and decent size for the vedder. Not a steelhead guy myself but a first of any species deserves a congrats.

Should be some good bulls hanging around in the vedder right now too
Old 04-15-2020, 08:09 AM

Nice! They are fighters for sure. Just think when you hook into a 12-14 lber of bigger. I hope to see future catches of these amazing tanks.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Nice! They are fighters for sure. Just think when you hook into a 12-14 lber of bigger. I hope to see future catches of these amazing tanks.
Yeah I have gone a few more times since. Had another one almost at net but jumped and got off right beside me. If I had a spare hand could have landed it, haha. It was about the same size as my first though.

I hope you are right, I may spend more time out there trying now that I got the itch.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 04-16-2020, 09:07 AM

Well done. Spent many, many hours on the Vedder when I lived on the coast. The first steelie hooks you for life!