Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-18-2013, 12:24 AM

Default Halibut Rod/Reel

I'm planning 2 trips to Vancouver Island this summer in July and August. I want to get a halibut rod and was wondering your guys thoughts on a reel choice. I have a Shimano Corvalus 400 spooled with 50lb powerpro. The line capacity is 305 yards and the max drag is 11lb. My question is do you think this is enough of a reel to handle halibut fishing or should I put something more heavy duty on the rod? Thanks for your input. AJ
Old 06-18-2013, 01:07 AM

West Coast halibut can be anywhere from 20lbs to 200+lbs. Keep that in mind.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 06-18-2013, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
West Coast halibut can be anywhere from 20lbs to 200+lbs. Keep that in mind.
That's definately on my mind. That's why I'm asking lol...
Old 06-18-2013, 06:12 AM

Buy a Penn level wind 330 and put some 80lb braid on it and be done with it. Good reel, and pretty cheap to buy.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:17 AM

Saw a very sturdy Halibut rod at Wholesale south common over the weekend - can't remember the brand - white in color and looked to be well constructed - on sale for $40 regular was $80 ..........

I agree with going to a heavier reel (and line) set up - for 95% of the fish you hook you will be ok - BUT hook one over 100 and you can be in trouble.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by browning375 View Post
Buy a Penn level wind 330 and put some 80lb braid on it and be done with it. Good reel, and pretty cheap to buy.
Same recommendation here!
Old 06-18-2013, 05:16 PM

Also if you get hung up" which you will" you need a rod with some backbone to pull yourself free.

If you are using a spreader bar make sure the line you attach your weight to is a lower breaking strength than your main line so if you do get hung up that will break first and you get all your gear back except the weight.

CONAN
Old 06-18-2013, 07:02 PM

I looked online on Penn's site and the above mentioned reels only have 10 lbs drag and same line capacity. I think my Corvalus might just work. Seen a couple nice rods at TFH for 50 bucks and less.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:26 PM

I guided on the west coast for a couple of seasons and that reel is more than enough....your line is plenty good enough too. As far as the rod goes it doesn't need to be very fancy....we call them pool cues. I was in WSS as well on the weekend plenty of good stout boat rods for under $50.

Most Halibut are lost with the harpoon or gaff job.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointerman View Post
I guided on the west coast for a couple of seasons and that reel is more than enough....your line is plenty good enough too. As far as the rod goes it doesn't need to be very fancy....we call them pool cues. I was in WSS as well on the weekend plenty of good stout boat rods for under $50.

Most Halibut are lost with the harpoon or gaff job.
Thanks a bunch Pointerman, yeah ill go pick me up one of those pool cues. Figure ill run a 40lb floro leader on a swivel.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleJax View Post
Thanks a bunch Pointerman, yeah ill go pick me up one of those pool cues. Figure ill run a 40lb floro leader on a swivel.
Don't waste your time with a leader if you are using a lure.

If you are using bait, such as fish heads, run your braid with weight, rubber, bead, rubber, weight, rubber, bead, swivel, floro leader with standard hook then treble hook.

As for loosing the fish a the boat, that is very common. A trick that I use is to run some rope through the mouth and out the gill and tie it off, if i can. Or, make a loop and tie onto the tail. All while the fish is in the water.

Also, you want to dispatch a large halibut in the water if possible. I pulled one into a small 17' boat and i would say that the fish had the upper hand for the first bit. Once I was done with the halibut(cutting the gills) it looked like the Texas chainsaw massacre in the boat from her flipping around.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuan View Post
Don't waste your time with a leader if you are using a lure.

If you are using bait, such as fish heads, run your braid with weight, rubber, bead, rubber, weight, rubber, bead, swivel, floro leader with standard hook then treble hook.

As for loosing the fish a the boat, that is very common. A trick that I use is to run some rope through the mouth and out the gill and tie it off, if i can. Or, make a loop and tie onto the tail. All while the fish is in the water.

Also, you want to dispatch a large halibut in the water if possible. I pulled one into a small 17' boat and i would say that the fish had the upper hand for the first bit. Once I was done with the halibut(cutting the gills) it looked like the Texas chainsaw massacre in the boat from her flipping around.
I've seen a few videos where they dispatch a fish with a 22 swamp people style! Not sure if that is legal in Canadian waters... The noose would work good, also nice to bleed them in water...
Old 06-19-2013, 11:54 AM

X2 on the Penn reels and pool cue rod. Heavy braid is a real good idea. I caught a 104lb last year and needed all the rod/reel I could get. Also needed new arms by the time we landed it
Old 06-19-2013, 12:05 PM

Sorry for the confusion as some know I am in Europe right now and Conan my dad is watching my place and using my computer.

I currently have a "pool cue" that I wouldn't want anything for except maybe a 6'er or Granville island maple lager.

That said a stiff rod can be good for jigging and a rod with a lighter tip is best for bait fishing (sit and wait method) I have several different rods and reels if your in Edmonton I'd be glad to show you some of the gear I have and like best. Ill be home this weekend just PM me if your interested or have any other questions.

Mike